Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Tina

Battery problem????

Ok So I have a new 2013 26TBSS , so I'm a bit of a virgin. lol I just reinstalled battery after in storage all year, topped up with distilled water,plugged it into house and now battery gauge only read 1/3 full, however it did read full in the beginning??? I am at a lost. Should it read full if plugged into my home?? HELP please.
tbeefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #2

Do you mean the battery gauge inside your rv or are you using a volt meter?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Tina

inside the rv, behind that little door thingy
Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeefitz View Post
Ok So I have a new 2013 26TBSS , so I'm a bit of a virgin. lol I just reinstalled battery after in storage all year, topped up with distilled water,plugged it into house and now battery gauge only read 1/3 full, however it did read full in the beginning??? I am at a lost. Should it read full if plugged into my home?? HELP please.
You say virgin. What do you mean when you say, "topped up with distilled water"?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Also....how long was it on the charger? At what setting?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Tina

Well its a deep cycle battery, so it was stored in my garage over the winter, low on water so topped it up. Then installed it to the camper last week.
Charger at what setting?? not sure what you mean. ahh Don't tell me I was suppose to charge it prior to hooking it up to the camper, because I didnt?? See told you I'm a newbie.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Ok....how long has the TT been plugged in? Yes, the battery if good, should be charging while installed correctly (check pos / neg connections).
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #8

Just some information. If any of the plates were exposed to air, prior to filling, that portion of the plate is now dead. That will reduce the AH amp hour capacity of that battery. When filling, only fill with distilled water to the bottom of the plastic fill tubes .In general the light panel that indicates level of charge, is really not a good indicator of the batteries charged state. You should either buy a 12v digital battery tester, that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket (if equipped) and test under slight load, or buy a ohm meter and test it that way under slight load. You will find a 12V charge table, by searching these forums which more closely reflect the % of charge based on volts read.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Tina

check pos / neg connections)?? Would I get power if wrong? The iwies are red and black. Which which is which?? lol
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Guess I'm a bit confused on battery reading FULL then 1/3 full. What meter is giving you these readings? Do you have a gauge built into the trailer?

Are you saying when you first plugged it into the house power, a meter showed it going to a high voltage reading, and then a few hours later dropping down to a lower voltage reading? If so, that might be normal; depends on your converter.

I know on my trailer with a WFCO, if the battery is 50 percent low (or lower) on charge, it will boost up to 14.4 volts for about 4 hours, then drop down to 13.6 volts, and eventually, drop down to 13.2 volts for a float mode.

Battery stored in garage over winter, low on fluid, if weather got cold enough and battery was not charged, it could have frozen.

You can use a standard volt/ohmmeter (aka Multi-meter) but make sure it is on the VOLT meter setting; do not check when on the ohmmeter setting or you will blow a fuse or kill the meter.

This chart gives an idea of how charged the battery is at certain voltage levels.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well its a deep cycle battery, so it was stored in my garage over the winter, low on water so topped it up. Then installed it to the camper last week.
Charger at what setting?? not sure what you mean. ahh Don't tell me I was suppose to charge it prior to hooking it up to the camper, because I didnt?? See told you I'm a newbie.
It's normal that the battery will lose a lot of it's charge sitting all winter. If the camper's convertor is working properly, it will bring the battery back to full charge overnight, if you're not drawing any 12V power.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Tina

k so inside the trailer is a meter I guess, tells you water level, battery levels...this is what is saying 1/3 full??
Old 05-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Battery's sitting on the concrete garage floor will go dead over a period of time. Try sitting it on a 2X6 next time. And, yes it should be charged up in a couple of days.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Battery's sitting on the concrete garage floor will go dead over a period of time. Try sitting it on a 2X6 next time. And, yes it should be charged up in a couple of days.
This is an "Old Wives Tale" and dates back to when batteries were made in tar or rubber boxes. Batteries will go dead when not "maintained" due to the internal resistance in the battery that allows "self discharge" across the cell plates.

BatteryStuff Articles | Myth Busted. The Truth About Storing Batteries on Concrete Floor

Here is how batteries "die."

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...eries-die.html

This may save your battery. Try this before returning/replacing yours.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-...l/BM12248.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Guess I'm a bit confused on battery reading FULL then 1/3 full. What meter is giving you these readings? Do you have a gauge built into the trailer?

Are you saying when you first plugged it into the house power, a meter showed it going to a high voltage reading, and then a few hours later dropping down to a lower voltage reading? If so, that might be normal; depends on your converter.

I know on my trailer with a WFCO, if the battery is 50 percent low (or lower) on charge, it will boost up to 14.4 volts for about 4 hours, then drop down to 13.6 volts, and eventually, drop down to 13.2 volts for a float mode.

Battery stored in garage over winter, low on fluid, if weather got cold enough and battery was not charged, it could have frozen.

You can use a standard volt/ohmmeter (aka Multi-meter) but make sure it is on the VOLT meter setting; do not check when on the ohmmeter setting or you will blow a fuse or kill the meter.

This chart gives an idea of how charged the battery is at certain voltage levels.

EXCELLENT question; and the reason you should have a good quality digital voltmeter in your camper. The "idiot" lights on the monitor only make sense when you see what voltage "makes them go out."

"F - C" - actually means "Charging Voltage Present" when ON
"2/3 - G" - actually means "Voltage above 50% capacity - recharge when it goes out.
"1/3 - F" - actually means "Battery Failing" - Damage Possible when it goes out
"E - L" - actually means "Battery Destroyed" when IT goes out (or no battery installed )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	51539   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	51540  
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #16

Quote:
k so inside the trailer is a meter I guess, tells you water level, battery levels...this is what is saying 1/3 full??
Try reading your manuals, read up on this forum, because most of the basic RV functions have been discussed at length, and you would be amazed on how much you learn.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
When using the "Battery" button, the lights use the scale on the right. When using a "tank" button (Black, Gray, or Fresh), use the scale on the left.

Even then the lights done really mean what they say.

"E" is actually "no connection at all (could be no water or the ground wire is broken) or no 12 volt DC power at all"

"1/3" is "Not Empty" (one or two flushes will turn on this light).

"2/3" is about 1/2 full

"F" is about 7/8 full

See photo of tank indicator probes for 1/3 - 2/3 - and Full.
The ground probe is left of the drain valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 008.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	51548  
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

(Herk7769) Always on your toes? My daddy told me that one and if you keep a charged battery in the garage (on the floor) it will keep mice out. I got to say though Minions of steel is so way cool. Sorry for off the track....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
FALSE. True in 1946...no basis in fact in 2014.
Storing Batteries on Concrete
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #20

My guess on the OP is that the battery is effectively toast after being stored less than fully charged with low water for an extended period of time with plates possibly exposed.
NOTE that even with a voltmeter...you must first fully charge the batteries overnight...then remove the negative post cable for 24 hours. THEN take a reading to determine the true condition of the battery. Taking a volt reading shortly after EITHER using or charging the battery will give you bad readings. Anything read below 12.4V after waiting 24 hours should be considered damaged & on the last legs.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery