Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #41

If it's at home, it's plugged in.
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #42

Battery protocol at home

In the summer I leave it hooked up to the solar power panel on the TT.

In addition I have taken to placing a heavy chain, padlocked, wrapped around the battery case (whether or not the battery is there), frame and propane tanks because last year we had some morons stealing batteries which was bad enough but they also cut the cables. I expect they'll be back this year.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #43

Should the battery disconnect be in or out?

This is probably a really dumb question, but I have never had the pull out/push in battery disconnect. I have lived full time in all three of my RV's. If I’m living in it full-time and do not plan on camping but might need the battery for power outages should my switch be in or out to keep the battery charged?
Kdspott72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #44

This works for me.

My TT is stored in a storage lot without power. So my solution is a temporary solar panel inside the trailer placed under the bathroom skylight. (Battery Tender 021-1163 5W Solar Maintainer with Built-in Super Smart Charging Controller). I use 2 compression curtain rods temporarily installed under the skylight and place the solar panel on them. It was easy for me to install a connector inside the TT that runs directly to the battery through a fuse but not through the battery disconnect switch. I simply run the wire across the floor to plug it in. I turn off the battery disconnect switch so I only have the internal battery loss to contend with. It only takes me a couple minutes to remove everything and we are ready to go. I have used the same solar panel for years, placed on the car seat, to keep my dad’s handicap van battery charged even during the harsh winters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A99A7DDC-1824-475A-9897-08BD0A9A9D81.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	202861  
flag19fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 AM   #45

We keep ours plugged in.
It's not unusual for us to have a camper day, or afternoon just at home.
It's also ready to go whenever this way.
Although as I think about it we never have "just gone whenever"[emoji848][emoji26]
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #46

I keep it plugged in year round when I'm not on the road. I have a disconnect but never use it.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #47

I had been keeping my 5er plugged in all the time. But after my last trip, I plugged it in as usual (extension cord from my house) and the circuit breaker has been tripping after 1/2 hour of being plugged in.
I theorize that the gauge of the extension cord is too small and the draw of the 5er charging circuit is just a little more than the extension cord can handle. Eventually (I theorize), the resistance of the wire becomes too much and the circuit trips. I am going to buy another extension cord with lower gauge wire and try that.
BTW, this circuit is plugged into a GFCI outlet on my house. The GFCI never trips, so it isn't a ground fault. I think it is just too much resistance in the extension cord. However, I wonder why this suddenly started happening.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #48

Nope: Tripping a breaker has nothing to do with ...

Extension cord wire gauge has nothing to do with tripping the breaker. It could affect the voltage available to appliances in the RV and may contribute to a warmer than normal charger/converter under heavy load due to the AC voltage drop in the cord but unless you have bad batteries that pull a lot of current from the charger, this is unlikely.

I believe you have other stuff using this circuit. 30 minutes of operation implies a over current load on that circuit. When the breaker trips, what else goes out? Over current loads are not going to be fixed by a heavier extension cord.

As you also guessed, a difference between the neutral and ground between the house and the RV might be the culprit. This normally manifests itself by the GFCI tripping in an outlet unless it is plugged into a circuit breaker that is the GFCI for the whole circuit. You did note that the GFCI doesn't trip. Noting this, I suspect one of two problems: Your circuit breaker is "soft" or trips with less load than it is labelled OR you are, in fact, pulling more current on the TOTAL circuit. What else is on the same circuit as the RV? Circuit breakers will deliver more current than their rated limits for a short period of time. If this wasn't so you would have to have an air conditioner breaker in the hundreds of Amps instead of 20-30 Amps. The A/C pulls a huge amount of current for a very short time when the compressor motor starts and then it settles down. Fridges and freezers and pumps all do this also.

From a safety side: The extension cord wire size should match the breaker current limit. Use 10-12 gauge for a 20 Amp circuit, a 12-14 gauge cord should be OK for a 15 Amp breaker. You don't want to fry your extension cord although being outside a wall and exposed to the air will help in cooling the wire under load.

Big current users in a RV are the A/C, Microwave Oven, space heaters, and huge TVs. A 50 Amp battery charger (big in the RV world) should be pulling less than 10 Amps, more likely less than 5 Amps.

A clamp on AC Current meter on the circuit in question will answer your question here. It is best done at the breaker panel. Something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-96308.html

You will be working in an area that can kill you from electrical hazards so if you are not comfortable with this - do not do this. This meter must go around only one conductor (black) of the circuit being examined. You can't snap it on the extension cord as bot the hot and neutral wires are in the same cord.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I had been keeping my 5er plugged in all the time. But after my last trip, I plugged it in as usual (extension cord from my house) and the circuit breaker has been tripping after 1/2 hour of being plugged in.
I theorize that the gauge of the extension cord is too small and the draw of the 5er charging circuit is just a little more than the extension cord can handle. Eventually (I theorize), the resistance of the wire becomes too much and the circuit trips. I am going to buy another extension cord with lower gauge wire and try that.
BTW, this circuit is plugged into a GFCI outlet on my house. The GFCI never trips, so it isn't a ground fault. I think it is just too much resistance in the extension cord. However, I wonder why this suddenly started happening.
Two things quickly come to mind...
1. Something broken/frayed in the extension cord or plug.(s) (creates heat/resistance)
2. You left something on that you have forgotten about. (water heater?)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #50

I use a battery conditioner. It maintains the battery while I have my RV in storage.
cajunmansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #51

I store my trailer away from home. I have a 20 watt solar panel that I face towards the afternoon sun. It keeps my battery at 100% all of the time. I only need it when I have the trailer covered, since I have a 100 watt panel on the roof. I also use the battery disconnect. Simple and cheap. Morningstar makes a great charge controller, but it really isn't needed if you don't go over 10 watts per battery. It just seems like a waste of money to plug in your trailer all the time when you aren't using it.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #52

Ours gets unplugged in between trips unless we do one back to back.
We plug it in about 5 days before so the fridge gets cooled down and I can start packing.
Had friends who left theirs plugged in and the fridge stopped working over the summer,
lost whatever was in it.
Happy camping!
Luvtostitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camping