RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-02-2020, 03:20 AM   #1

Battery removal w/ solar

On a 2021 Cherokee, whatís the proper procedure to shut down the solar charging system if the battery is removed for indoor winter storage? Thanks
Tim972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you have a solar charge system why remove the battery a charged batter will not freeze. with that said once the wires from the solar are disconnected from the battery tape the ends of the leads to keep them from touching something and you should be good to go.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

I dont not have a Cherokee but..

My Renogy charge controller says to make sure you disconnect the panels from the controller before disconnecting the batteries from the controller.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post

My Renogy charge controller says to make sure you disconnect the panels from the controller before disconnecting the batteries from the controller.
Most controllers have the same procedure.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior

I installed a switch on the positive lead for the solar panels before they connect to the controller. This gives me a way to disconnect the solar panels from the controller and batteries. I have stored my RV with the batteries installed and charging by solar kwithout any problems.,
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. If you have a solar charge system why remove the battery a charged batter will not freeze. with that said once the wires from the solar are disconnected from the battery tape the ends of the leads to keep them from touching something and you should be good to go.
What about up north in "snow" country????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

^^ Fully charge the batteries then disconnect and come back in the spring. They will be discharged only 5-8 percent by spring.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #8

With indoor storage and no sunlight to charge the panel, I planned on pulling the battery. I live in Michigan and have had zero luck leaving batteries in campers. I always bring them in my basement for the winter. My solar panel was factory installed, there was no paperwork or manual with it. I wasn’t sure if removing the battery and turning off the main disconnect inside was enough.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #9

Quote:

FR ships trailers without a house battery. And I suspect the solar panel is connected to the controller during the buildout. If that is the case what damage could that cause to the system?
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #10

We just got this camper in June, I had an issue on our 2nd trip with it. Nothing would work with battery when we arrived but the digital readout read over 20 volts. Being an electrician and a few hours from home I started checking it out. I found the positive cable end corroded right off the battery. I repaired it then called the dealer after I got home and talked to a tech there. He said the high voltage I was seeing was full output from solar panel and he said he’s even seen where someone removed a battery and a light was left on and the solar burned up. I’m not saying mine would burn up, but I don’t want to have issues in the spring when I get it out and have to have it tied up at the dealer.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #11

I've attached a .PDF of the controller that is supposed to be supplied with the R-Pod we have on order. Hopefully that is the same model Cherokee used. If not the manufactures website info, and contact info, is in the manual.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #12

Ok, thank you. I will definitely do some more research on it.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #13

Quote:

What kind of fuse or breaker do you have between the panels and the solar charge controller? I put in a 30 amp circuit breaker to easily open that connection, and an identical one between the solar charge controller and the batteries. Open the first one, then open the second one.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
What kind of fuse or breaker do you have between the panels and the solar charge controller? I put in a 30 amp circuit breaker to easily open that connection, and an identical one between the solar charge controller and the batteries. Open the first one, then open the second one.
With an MPPT controller, the valuses of those breakers can be quite different. You could have twice the current going to the batteries vs what is coming from the panels. All depends on the panel voltage.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
With an MPPT controller, the valuses of those breakers can be quite different. You could have twice the current going to the batteries vs what is coming from the panels. All depends on the panel voltage.
True, if you have a "larger" solar array. I have only 320 watts, so my MPPT might get a couple more amps than a PWM charge controller. But I got the impression the OP doesn't have a big enough array to be concerned about that. But mostly I thought the OP was just asking how he could disconnect his panels from the charge controller prior to disconnecting his batteries. I figured opening this breaker was the easiest way.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #16

Quote:
True, if you have a "larger" solar array. I have only 320 watts, so my MPPT might get a couple more amps than a PWM charge controller. But I got the impression the OP doesn't have a big enough array to be concerned about that. But mostly I thought the OP was just asking how he could disconnect his panels from the charge controller prior to disconnecting his batteries. I figured opening this breaker was the easiest way.
with 320W perfectly tilted, you could get 22A. Depending on the voltage of your panels, they are likely supplying 15A. 30A is major overkill for both sides but sometimes you get the closest to what is available.

Again, current from the PV depends on the voltage. If you have 320W 40V panels, you are only outputting 8A. If they are 20V panels, 16A.

What gauge wire are you using and how far from your batteries are you? Sometimes, you actually need a circuit breaker after the controller and where it hits your battery.

The reality of the PV breaker is that you can really just get by with a switch. The wire is sized to the max current and that is the max current you will ever get. Even with a direct short, it would never trip a breaker.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #17

Quote:
That is an easy way.
I have 50 amp breakers (before and after the controller) used as a switch with my 200 watts of solar. A person could have a 200 amp circuit breaker if they want, seeing as they are only using it as an on/off switch.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar