RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

Battery replacement

Hello. I bought a used 2020 Wolf Pup 16BHS travel trailer three months ago and it seems the battery that it came with, a cheap Super Start marine 425 CCA, is not working at full capacity anymore. Which battery would you recommend to buy to replace that one? Thanks in advanced.
Emiliop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliop View Post
Hello. I bought a used 2020 Wolf Pup 16BHS travel trailer three months ago and it seems the battery that it came with, a cheap Super Start marine 425 CCA, is not working at full capacity anymore. Which battery would you recommend to buy to replace that one? Thanks in advanced.
Depends on what kind of camping you do. If you always camp with electric hookups, than any basic Group 24 dual purpose marine battery is fine. However, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then at least a pair of 6v golf cart batteries is probably the best basic and least expensive improvement.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #3

2X on the two 6 volt golf cart batteries. You wire them in series so they act like one 12 volt. They are inexpensive and since they're more tolerant of deeper and more frequent discharge cycles, they'll hold up better over time. As Dan mentioned, if you're the type of camper that is always plugged into power, there's really no benefit for you so just get a single 12 volt. It is however best to make sure it's a true deep cycle, not a hybrid starting/deep cycle like you have now and see in marine stores.

The trick to longevity in any lead acid battery is making sure you don't drain it down under 50%. Here's a chart, so if you have a volt meter, you don't want to drain it down under 12.18.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery State of Charge.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	239105  
Curt Trutrack WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #4

If you are at all a serious camper a battery monitor is a good plan.

For the average Midwest person the Amazon BM2 fits the bill. It is a Bluetooth recording voltmeter. Handy. Costs about $30 and instals in the fuse box in minutes. It even has alarms.

Use that and check water levels a couple of times a year and the batteries will last a long time.

Over discharging batteries and not checking the water levels can kill a battery in a year or so. That is why the warrantees are typically one year
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #5

Are you disconnecting the battery in storage? Or letting it go fully dead?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #6

Bear in mind that CCA, cold cranking amps, are not a good indicator of power for RV use. I just bought a group 31 at Batteries Plus for $129 and I am very happy with it.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Depends on what kind of camping you do. If you always camp with electric hookups, than any basic Group 24 dual purpose marine battery is fine. However, if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, then at least a pair of 6v golf cart batteries is probably the best basic and least expensive improvement.
Thanks for replying. Mostly I wil only need the battery to cool down the Furrion fridge before any trip. That should be the main purpose because we always go camping in full hookups sites. The battery that I currently have does not even deliver enough power for the fridge compressor to start.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Mostly I wil only need the battery to cool down the Furrion fridge before any trip. That should be the main purpose because we always go camping in full hookups sites. The battery that I currently have does not even deliver enough power for the fridge compressor to start.
So does your Furrion fridge run on propane and battery or just battery? If just battery you might want to go with the two 6 volts. If propane and battery then you should be fine with one 12 volt since all the battery does is run the circuitry in the fridge and has a small draw.

Other thing you can do if your fridge only runs on battery and you want to stick with one 12 volt is plug the camper in while cooling down the fridge.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 09-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

That fridge doesn't run on propane. Also I have the camper parked in a public storage, so I am only able to cool down the fridge using the battery power.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
That fridge doesn't run on propane. Also I have the camper parked in a public storage, so I am only able to cool down the fridge using the battery power.
You might want to look at this article... Based on it, I don't think even two 6 volts are going to help you...

https://rv52.com/how-long-will-rv-fr...un-on-battery/

Kind of says it all tight here:

A standard RV fridge, while running on propane draws a negligible amount of current to power the electronic control panel up front- so if that’s the only power draw, your batteries could last weeks. Running it on DC electricity, though, will drain your batteries in about 3 hours. That being said, home refrigerators (compressor type) are more efficient on electric but will still exhaust your batteries in about 12 hours.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 09-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #11

The all electric fridges are becoming popular. Easy. Larger and cheaper.

Also generally much faster.

You have to learn to interpret engineering specifications.

The fridge we all have has detailed specs defining performance. Generally the are tested as follows.

Filled
Precooled
In a large walk in refrigerated room at 70 degrees. With a 110 set up.
Installed with 3” of space around the sides and top.

In essence an ideal situation. Not in South Texas rolling down the road with a fresh case of hot beer just put in.

Two 6 volt golf cart batteries(230 amps) will provide 115 usable amps. With your fridge you can run it for 10 hours or so in the worst conditions. The tow vehicle plug in only helps a little. A little is maybe an hour. The battery you likely have had 30-40 amps on its best day.

So you have To plan ahead.

Parking for overnight with any electric outlet nearby if you can.

Always fill it pretty full. Cold stuff only.

Add several gallons of frozen drinking water to the fridge.

Start the fridge an hour before the trip. With the ice you extend the 10 hours. Maybe 24. Weather dependent. Trailers can be 20 degrees hotter inside during the summer. We saw 106 degrees on a trip to Michigan last summer. 120 in Texas when we arrived.

Lithium batteries are great but, expensive.

If you plan on stressing the battery a lot get a battery monitor.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, replacement