Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Battery Replacement

2019 Forest River Salem 26DBLE

I need to replace the 2 batteries on my RV due to the Texas freeze but I have no clue what size/volt etc they are. I took a picture of them with my phone but of course I can't find the pic.

I would just go take another pic but it sits on my property about 100 miles away.

There is no info anywhere on the site. I know there are 2 and that's about it. I feel dumb even asking but it's worth a shot.
SouthernLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
Always Learning

Batteries all depends on what you’ll be using them for. You can get by with the cheapest of 12v batteries if you’re RV park queens. If you do serious boondocking then consider lithium. And everything in between.

What kind of camping do you do? i.e. how much/what do you use the batteries for?

https://learntorv.com/battery-upgrade/
Old 03-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernLiberal View Post
2019 Forest River Salem 26DBLE

I need to replace the 2 batteries on my RV due to the Texas freeze but I have no clue what size/volt etc they are. I took a picture of them with my phone but of course I can't find the pic.

I would just go take another pic but it sits on my property about 100 miles away.

There is no info anywhere on the site. I know there are 2 and that's about it. I feel dumb even asking but it's worth a shot.
First question: Will you aways be hooked up to shore power? If so, a cheap group 24 rv/marine battery is enough.
Second question: Will you be dry camping or boondocking? If so, it's a little more complicated.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #4

If you boondock a lot don't waste your money on lithium.
Buy two GC2 batteries and 300-400 watts of solar. Total cost about the same as a Li-ion battery.
You will have the same amount of usable Amp Hours.
Advantage is, no need to run a generator to charge that Li-ion battery.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
I need to replace the 2 batteries on my RV due to the Texas freeze
I'm curious, what does the Texas freeze have to do with needing to replace batteries? Did you run them down below 50% capacity?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #6

I almost always go to a KOA and if not there are hook ups.

I tried doing the electric lift and it was a no go so I assumed it was from the freeze. I always disconnect the cables when I set it up for the winter so when I reconnected and got nothing that was my best guess.
SouthernLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
I almost always go to a KOA and if not there are hook ups.

I tried doing the electric lift and it was a no go so I assumed it was from the freeze. I always disconnect the cables when I set it up for the winter so when I reconnected and got nothing that was my best guess.
In your case, an inexpensive Group 24 deep cycle battery from Walmart (or similar) will serve your needs. Make sure it's deep cycle, not dual purpose, i.e., not a "Marine" battery.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #8

It is often possible that connections that are loose or corroded are culprits. Since you have two batteries there may be switch to alternate or connect the batteries with more connections to clean If it is in skill level try recharging batteries with charger and if they take charge you can reconnect them after cleaning connections and decide if replacements are needed.
I always reinstall a fully charged battery in spring after storage, takes load off on board charging system and assures electric jacks operate for first run
Hope this helps
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #9

I would start with checking battery voltage with a voltmeter before just jumping right to replacing the batteries.

Notice I said start with. I know that a mere voltage check is not a proper complete test of a battery - just the starting point.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I'm curious, what does the Texas freeze have to do with needing to replace batteries? Did you run them down below 50% capacity?
We store our RV outdoors in MN and it was in the 0 to -20 range for a while. Charged batteries do just fine. A true battery disconnect (not just the on/off switch) is necessary to cut off all draws while in storage.

Discharged batteries will not do well with freezing and probably will need to be replaced. They might be cracked so watch out for battery acid.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
We store our RV outdoors in MN and it was in the 0 to -20 range for a while. Charged batteries do just fine. A true battery disconnect (not just the on/off switch) is necessary to cut off all draws while in storage.

Discharged batteries will not do well with freezing and probably will need to be replaced. They might be cracked so watch out for battery acid.
That's why I asked. I can't imagine northerners replacing batteries every time they were exposed to freezing temperatures. Wyoming native here.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
If you boondock a lot don't waste your money on lithium.
Buy two GC2 batteries and 300-400 watts of solar. Total cost about the same as a Li-ion battery.
You will have the same amount of usable Amp Hours.
Advantage is, no need to run a generator to charge that Li-ion battery.
Not sure i understand how one needs to run a generator to charge a "Li-ion" battery and not have to do the same with a couple GC-2's.

I boondock 90% of the time and charge my twoBattleborn batteries using solar power. Only have to resort to the generator when no sun but so would anyone boondocking with GC-2's

A huge benefit to the LiFePo4 batteries is 1/4 the weight and twice the usable power in one LiFePo4 battery than the GC-2's and the LiFePo4 batteries can be mounted inside with no need at all to vent.

Many boondockers often have smaller trailers (to get farther off the beaten path) and weight can be a huge issue.

BTW, LiFePo4 batteries charge more efficiently thus faster than FLA batteries. I've been charging in less than a day with only a 160 watt solar kit. Just finished an upgrade tp 200 watts that will give me a 20% margin.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:18 AM   #13

What I was getting at is for the price of one Li-ion battery you can have the same useable amp hours and a nice quiet charging system.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
What I was getting at is for the price of one Li-ion battery you can have the same useable amp hours and a nice quiet charging system.
Yeah, but for the price of one Li-ion battery you can also get a Li-ion battery!

Tags
battery, replacement