Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Battery set up in our 2018 831CLBSS

Here is my battery set up. Two Interstate Deep Cycle batteries, brand new HD24-DP. Came with the RV, picked up from local dealer in March of 2018. We have the Residential refrigerator with a inverter for it when not plugged in to shore power. We have not tested it yet to see how long it will run before we have to recharge the batteries. We have two of the Honda eu200i generators that can be linked together if needed. My question is ..... are they connected correctly for use? And for charging from the house converter, and solar, when we get the panels?

Negative post connected to the left side battery, and Ground to the RV.
Positive post connected to the right side battery, and Positive to the RV.
And there is a disconnect for the batteries to the RV.

Left side battery.
Negative post has ground to solar connection, and connected to Negative post of right side battery.
Positive post is connected to Positive post of right side battery, and Positive lead to the RV.

Right side battery.
Positive post has Positive connection to solar, and Positive post of left side battery.
Negative post is connected to Negative post of left side battery, and Negative (Ground) to the RV.

Input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Should have had the dealer put in 6v golf cart batteries, instead of 12v marine batteries for your residential fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Should have had the dealer put in 6v golf cart batteries, instead of 12v marine batteries for your residential fridge.
The things you figure out after it is too late. This is just one of them.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Or 2 12V true deep discharge like Trojans or AGMs like Lifeline, Deka or V-Max.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Yes, this is a proper "parallel" connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZR View Post
Here is my battery set up. Two Interstate Deep Cycle batteries, brand new HD24-DP. Came with the RV, picked up from local dealer in March of 2018. We have the Residential refrigerator with a inverter for it when not plugged in to shore power. We have not tested it yet to see how long it will run before we have to recharge the batteries. We have two of the Honda eu200i generators that can be linked together if needed. My question is ..... are they connected correctly for use? And for charging from the house converter, and solar, when we get the panels?

Negative post connected to the left side battery, and Ground to the RV.
Positive post connected to the right side battery, and Positive to the RV.
And there is a disconnect for the batteries to the RV.

Left side battery.
Negative post has ground to solar connection, and connected to Negative post of right side battery.
Positive post is connected to Positive post of right side battery, and Positive lead to the RV.

Right side battery.
Positive post has Positive connection to solar, and Positive post of left side battery.
Negative post is connected to Negative post of left side battery, and Negative (Ground) to the RV.

Input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary.
Gary, you asked whether this was the right connection. The answer is "Yes." This is a "parallel" connection of two 12v batteries. The result is a 12v source with twice the capacity of a single battery.

Were you to use 6v batteries as suggested, you would use a "series" connection.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

The connections are correct for the pair of batteries. They are cheap DualPurpose batteries which are NOT built to last under deep cycling or boondocking use and only contain power storage of roughly 150 amp hours. A pair of golf cart batteries would give you approximately 210 amp hours AND be true deep cycle. The dealer took the cheapest option. You can only use about 75 amp hours before needing to recharge the ones you have now.
If you always plug in somewhere, they'll be fine since they will only be cycled while on the road. If you plan to dry camp though...you should get a battery monitor so that you can recharge them with those generators as needed since they won't last very long before needing one.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Why am I not surprised the dealer didn't even put on a black cable between the negative connections. Also, no shrink tubing on the crimp connections!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Why am I not surprised the dealer didn't even put on a black cable between the negative connections. Also, no shrink tubing on the crimp connections!
Thanks, and I am planning on making all ground connections changed to black cables before we go out west this August.

I will also start shopping for true deep cycle batteries.

Thanks to everyone that has responded!

Gary.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

Gave the batteries a test last night to see how much the residential refrigerator draws from the inverter. Ran the fridge on shore power to get cold. Inverter on & shore power off at 11pm last night. Checked fridge & battery status at 10 am this morning. Fridge cold & battery down 2 bars on the display. Looks like we are set & ready for Colorado first of August.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #10

Yeah...no reason not to use them...they still have the same amp hours as a deep cycle of the same size...just won't last as long before loss of capacity and need to replace. If you plan on boondocking with them...you'll need to run those hondas a lot.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Yeah...no reason not to use them...they still have the same amp hours as a deep cycle of the same size...just won't last as long before loss of capacity and need to replace. If you plan on boondocking with them...you'll need to run those hondas a lot.
Thanks. Our boondocking will be mostly National Forest camping in Colorado & Utah. About 4 day stretch at a time. then a 3 - 4 day stay at a campground with at least power. It is good to know that this is going to work for us.

Gary.

Tags
battery