Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2024, 09:05 PM   #1

Battery Shunt

I am looking for a recommendation on a battery shunt for my solar system. I have a 50 watt panel and controller that came with my travel trailer. However, I added my own Renogy system also. I have four 100 watt panels wired in parallel controlled by a 40 amp mppt controller. I have two interstate 210ah 6 volt agm batteries wired in series. I would like to monitor how many amps I am using and compare it to how many amps I am charging. I have a 12 volt refrigerater so that is the reason for the solar panels. I would like to know what brands of battery shunts people are using and would recommend. Since my solar system is from Renogy I looked for that brand. However, I found many bad reviews on that one. I did check out Victron but those seem pricey. Thanks in advance for any info
chevyman54173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman54173 View Post
I am looking for a recommendation on a battery shunt for my solar system. I have a 50 watt panel and controller that came with my travel trailer. However, I added my own Renogy system also. I have four 100 watt panels wired in parallel controlled by a 40 amp mppt controller. I have two interstate 210ah 6 volt agm batteries wired in series. I would like to monitor how many amps I am using and compare it to how many amps I am charging. I have a 12 volt refrigerater so that is the reason for the solar panels. I would like to know what brands of battery shunts people are using and would recommend. Since my solar system is from Renogy I looked for that brand. However, I found many bad reviews on that one. I did check out Victron but those seem pricey. Thanks in advance for any info
Go with a Victron Smart Shunt. You will not be sorry.

As a bonus, should you ever add Victron devices like a Solar Controller, Converter, or DC-DC charger, they will network for improved performance.if
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:22 PM   #3

Thanks TitanMike. So is the Victron shunt waterproof? Just need to find a location to mount it. Is the intitial setup on the app easy to do?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:40 AM   #4

I don't know the Victron unit but my shunt (QWORK $34) measures net battery current, and does not give a reading for charging current and load current. It works for me because my MPPT has a display for the solar current and I can do the math. Solar making 11A, shunt reading -4A, I know that my battery is being loaded with a 15A load.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:23 PM   #5

So I went with the Victron smart shunt to monitor my solar system and battery discharge on my travel trailer. My solar system that I installed has its own positive and negative wires that connect to the batteries. And then obviously there are seperate positive and negative wires that supply power to the camper. So I am confused on how and where to connect the shunt. I do know you install the shunt using the negative cables and a small cable that goes to the battery to power the shunt. My question is, do I connect the negative wires from the solar system and the negative wires that supply power to the camper to the shunt?
Old 04-23-2024, 07:52 PM   #6

all negatives go to anyplace Before the shunt

a bus bar is good you can firmly attach multiple negatives
One end of the shunt can also be bolted to it

Then the other end of the shunt goes to the battery negative terminal (cable)
All power will then be counted ..
converter, solar inputs
OR the power out to the fuse boxes or even the power jacks

Pretty easy once you realize for the calculation to be accurate the shunt must count charging or discharging power...
Old 04-23-2024, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
all negatives go to anyplace Before the shunt

a bus bar is good you can firmly attach multiple negatives
One end of the shunt can also be bolted to it

Then the other end of the shunt goes to the battery negative terminal (cable)
All power will then be counted ..
converter, solar inputs
OR the power out to the fuse boxes or even the power jacks

Pretty easy once you realize for the calculation to be accurate the shunt must count charging or discharging power...
What do you mean by all negatives go to anyplace before the shunt?
I do understand what you mean by bus bar. I would only have two negative connections.
So correct me if I am wrong. Both my negative wires run together to the negative terminal on the battery. Could I mount the shunt on the front frame of the camper where my wires run?(batteries are outdoors in front of trailer). So do I cut both negative cables and add the metal loop at the end of the cable and connect them both to the shunt? Then from the shunt to the battery eliminate the negative cable for the solar system and use only the one cable? Is the Victron shunt waterproof? Any available enclosures to keep water off of the shunt?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
What do you mean by all negatives go to anyplace before the shunt?
I do understand what you mean by bus bar. I would only have two negative connections.
So correct me if I am wrong. Both my negative wires run together to the negative terminal on the battery. Could I mount the shunt on the front frame of the camper where my wires run?(batteries are outdoors in front of trailer). So do I cut both negative cables and add the metal loop at the end of the cable and connect them both to the shunt? Then from the shunt to the battery eliminate the negative cable for the solar system and use only the one cable? Is the Victron shunt waterproof? Any available enclosures to keep water off of the shunt?

To make it most simple, the shunt needs to be connected to battery's negative post and ALL OTHER NEGATIVE CONNECTIONS.

Only the shunt should be connected to the battery. If you only have two wires connected to battery you can connect them to the end of shunt NOT connected to the battery.

No, the Victron shunt is not waterproof but if it has an IP65 label on it it is water resistant. It can be mounted inside a battery bix if there's room but needs to be protected as much as possible from direct water contact. Some will mount them inside a weatherproof box on or near battery box and just use a battery jumper cable to connect shunt to negative terminal.

Remember, battery only on one end of shunt, all other negative connections that used to be on battery on the other end.

Note: With only two connections to battery negative I wouldn't bother with a bus bar. Three or more then they are more necessary.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
To make it most simple, the shunt needs to be connected to battery's negative post and ALL OTHER NEGATIVE CONNECTIONS.

Only the shunt should be connected to the battery. If you only have two wires connected to battery you can connect them to the end of shunt NOT connected to the battery.

No, the Victron shunt is not waterproof but if it has an IP65 label on it it is water resistant. It can be mounted inside a battery bix if there's room but needs to be protected as much as possible from direct water contact. Some will mount them inside a weatherproof box on or near battery box and just use a battery jumper cable to connect shunt to negative terminal.

Remember, battery only on one end of shunt, all other negative connections that used to be on battery on the other end.

Note: With only two connections to battery negative I wouldn't bother with a bus bar. Three or more then they are more necessary.
Perfect! Thats how I was thinking I had to do it. I have no room in my battery box for a shunt. I will look into a waterproof box and then mount that to the inside of my frame. Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-23-2024, 08:37 PM   #10

overly simplified on where and how shunt connects
fuses and cable sizes and lengths are not shown but will need to be per normal practices

lots of discussions on battery cables already on the forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shunt2.png
Views:	16
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	298999  
Old 04-23-2024, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
overly simplified on where and how shunt connects
fuses and cable sizes and lengths are not shown but will need to be per normal practices

lots of discussions on battery cables already on the forum
Thanks Aussieguy! I only have two negative cables so a bus bar won't be needed. Its been confirmed that my thinking of how I needed to do this is the correct way.
Now the search is on for a weatherproof box to protect the shunt
Old 05-08-2024, 05:14 PM   #12

So it looks like I will be finally installing my battery shunt this weekend. I have one last question. So I know all negative cables need to be connected to the load side of the shunt. But can I connect my negative cable from the solar charger to the same spot on the frame where my negative cable for my camper screwd to? And then run that wire to the shunt? Both negative cables are 8 gauge. That would be easier to do cause then I only need to run one wire through my weather proof box.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
So it looks like I will be finally installing my battery shunt this weekend. I have one last question. So I know all negative cables need to be connected to the load side of the shunt. But can I connect my negative cable from the solar charger to the same spot on the frame where my negative cable for my camper screwd to? And then run that wire to the shunt? Both negative cables are 8 gauge. That would be easier to do cause then I only need to run one wire through my weather proof box.
If the shunt is properly installed the frame is just a large " negative bus bar.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:40 PM   #14

Sounds like my job got a little easier. So negative wire from solar charger to frame where battery negative is fastened to. From there to load side of shunt. Then from shunt to negative on battery. No need to upgade to thicker wire from the frame to shunt and battery?

Tags
battery