Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeu View Post
they are inside the normal fuse box, 3 fuses all separate from the rest and all 25 Watt fuses (my rig is a 60 watt rig)
And mine has 2 and both are 40 amp
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #22

Now I realize that the OP was describing a Solid red covering. Not a solid wire.
I gotta stop thinking like an electrician. I still have a problem with using 3 wires. Or did I confuse that also
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
llr

If you haven't but the battery back in yet I would use your meter to check the battery and the meter. Red to positive terminal, black to negative you should read positive 12.5 or higher, if negative your meter leads are probably backwards, reading much lower and the battery is bad
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #24

I may get corrected on this, but here is my take. DC wiring is most commonly in these color combinations. When there is only a black and red wire, the black wire is negative and the red wire is positive. When there is only a black wire and a white wire, the black wire becomes positive and the white becomes negative. Twelve volt RV batteries are wired in parallel. Six volt batteries would be wired in series. See the two sites listed below.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=connec...FORM=QBLH&sp=2

https://www.etrailer.com/question-21011.html
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 AM   #25

I guess I'm gonna stay confused on this one. I'm can't get an answer on why 3 wires. Guessing here. The two paired up wires of the same size would be a set of wires positive and negative. I don't know what the third wire would be.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 AM   #26

it is very common for some devices to be wired directly to the battery as opposed to going through a fuse panel. obviously two of the cables run between the battery and the converter (a positive and a negative). these probably also feed the fuse panel. my guess would be that the third wire is the positive wire for the break away switch. just a guess, sight unseen.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
it is very common for some devices to be wired directly to the battery as opposed to going through a fuse panel. obviously two of the cables run between the battery and the converter (a positive and a negative). these probably also feed the fuse panel. my guess would be that the third wire is the positive wire for the break away switch. just a guess, sight unseen.
Yea, I gave the breakaway some though but would they really use the frame a a ground path on a breaking system?? I know it would work in a pinch.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I guess I'm gonna stay confused on this one. I'm can't get an answer on why 3 wires. Guessing here. The two paired up wires of the same size would be a set of wires positive and negative. I don't know what the third wire would be.

Time to lay on your back and trace them out. You'll get the correct answer, here it's just guessing
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Time to lay on your back and trace them out. You'll get the correct answer, here it's just guessing
Answer of the day!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #30

Jess, I’m new to rv’s but you would think the manufacturer would use red to positive and black to negative and ground. Really, is this to much to ask of manufacturers?
Papatoo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatoo6 View Post
Jess, I’m new to rv’s but you would think the manufacturer would use red to positive and black to negative and ground. Really, is this to much to ask of manufacturers?
You would think, but you would probably be wrong.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #32
RogerD

Strikeu, I have a Crusader 297 RSK also. The large red wire is the positive wire that goes to the positive wiring system throughout the trailer. There are several self-resetting circuit breakers that are in the wiring circuits in the front storage/battery compartment. The large white wire is the main ground wire that goes to the chassis. The red and black wire I believe is the negative wire for the self leveling system.

Your 'Battery Disconnect Switch" is in the utility bay in the front driver's side storage compartment. I am attaching a photo that shows where the switch is located.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You can also join the "Prime Time Owner's Forum" in the Forest River Forums to get other valuable information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Switch.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	224655  
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatoo6 View Post
You must be new to RVs.
RVs are part house wiring and part automotive wiring. So as fast as they wire these things, you're lucky if the wiring works at all.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdownward View Post
Strikeu, I have a Crusader 297 RSK also. The large red wire is the positive wire that goes to the positive wiring system throughout the trailer. There are several self-resetting circuit breakers that are in the wiring circuits in the front storage/battery compartment. The large white wire is the main ground wire that goes to the chassis. The red and black wire I believe is the negative wire for the self leveling system.

Your 'Battery Disconnect Switch" is in the utility bay in the front driver's side storage compartment. I am attaching a photo that shows where the switch is located.

Please help me understand.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. You can also join the "Prime Time Owner's Forum" in the Forest River Forums to get other valuable information.

This is the problem I have been having trouble with. The OP has described having only 3 wires. One large red wire and two smaller wires that are bundled together. Only 3 wires as I understand it. What post # did I miss describing a Large white wire???

This from the OP#! post:
Crusader 297RSK, of the 2 battery leads one of them is a single solid RED coated wire and the other consists of 2 wires, one red and black coated and the other one white coated. the wires that make up the "2 wire" lead are about half the gauge of the single RED coated wire.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #35
RogerD

I was referring to the wiring in MY Crusader not necessarily referring to the OP's post. But since we have the exact same make and model, I'm sure his wires are exactly the same as mine. The white wire is about a #6 while the black/red that is attached to it is about a #10. The red positive wire is about a #4.

The OP seems to have gone absent from the chain so I guess he has figured out his issues without our assistance.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Agree and if the OP has hydraulic Lippert system jacks I believe the installation calls for the ground return to be connected directly to the battery instead of relying on chassis return. This may be a moot point after all.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #37

The battery will indicate + and -. If the battery terminals are post style, the + post will have a larger diameter than the - post.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery