Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

Battery top off

So, I checked the fluid level on the batteries, between the two it took almost a half gallon to top them off to within 3/4" from the top.

Is that an abnormal amount? Should I be concerned?
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Depends on what battery you have, but does seem like quite a bit. It's typical to loose water during charging. How often do you check the water levels after a charge? Do you leave them hooked up and floating for extended periods? Any signs of liquid anywhere around or on your battery? I would imagine you're checked for cracks.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

The bad news is if any portion of the plates were exposed, they will no longer accept a charge. You might want to do a hydrometer test at full charge, to determine your bats health. Make sure you follow the proper procedure when drawing the acid into the hyrometer, to get an accurate reading.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #4

So just got the rv two weeks ago and figured I'd check them out.

Battery compartment was dry, no noticeable cracks in the cases.

I could see the top plates on one cell exposed.

I normally plug in the shore power when it's parked. Figured that would keep the batteries charged off the inverter?

Tried to install a cheap volt gauge, but it's reading .5 volt less then the multimeter. So all I have to go with while camping is the F, 2/3, 1/3, E on the control panel.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Another thought, why is it bad if the plate was exposed? Don't they ship batteries dry?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
Another thought, why is it bad if the plate was exposed? Don't they ship batteries dry?
They do ship batteries dry when new, difference is there is no voltage in the battery yet.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Makes sense.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #8

That's a lot of water. I would be concerned. My 2 batteries take about 1/2 liter total when I fill them on a monthly basis.

Watch them closely.

Personally, I don't trust the built in chargers for storage. I think they boil batteries dry if there is no load. I am okay hooked up for 3 months in FL but after 2 weeks in storage they are dry. That's why I store with a battery tender.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #9

Agreed. That's why I asked about your charging habits. 1/2 gallon for 2 batteries is relative. Are you talking 2 6v's? 2 12v's? 2 tractor batteries? If you saw plates, then it will kind of depend on how much was exposed, for how long, or if they where exposed during an active charge cycle. Best case, only a tiny portion is now dead. The battery will still charge to regular voltages, but the capacity will be diminished. They can't fully be trusted again though. They could work just fine for a week or a month, but short out and die completely at any moment. Worst case... their just paperweights now. I doubt a dealer would do anything to help even after just 2 weeks. They will just say that you cooked your batteries on a bad charger... your fault.

Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Bah, it happens. Knew I should have checked them during the PDI. Probably just junk anyways. Run them till they die. They are the ones that came with the sunseeker, assuming 12v "deep cycle"....
Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

And thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

I know from my experience, the roads traveled can cause quite a bit of fluid to spill out of the battery tops. That's why when these deep cycles go, they will be replaced with AGMs.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #13

I've had optima red tops in daily driver and hot rod, only got about three years out of them. Not too impressed for the price.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

I've had great results with Optima Yellow tops on my off-road rigs. Optima reds are starting batteries and yellows are a combination starting/deep cycle. However, for a trailer a true deep cycle is what I would use. Something like a Trojan 27 AGM or 31 AGM.
As much as I like my yellow tops, I would never consider one for the trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
The reason is; Low electrolyte level - battery plates exposed to air will immediately sulfate.Thus not allowing them to absorb a charge on the part that was uncovered. Don't shoot the messenger, i'm only trying to explain the why here.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Bah, it happens. Knew I should have checked them during the PDI. Probably just junk anyways. Run them till they die. They are the ones that came with the sunseeker, assuming 12v "deep cycle"....
It is what it is, and if you didn't demand a certain type battery when you bought the trailer then don't shed a tear, they're probably not worth it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #17

Oh, I hope I'm not coming off wrong. I really do appreciate the info and advice. Just asking questions, trying to understand....
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #18

What did I do

Quote:
Oh, I hope I'm not coming off wrong. I really do appreciate the info and advice. Just asking questions, trying to understand....

I just reread my post and realized my poor choice of words.
It reads like I was saying blame yourself, this was not my intention.
I apologize.
What I meant to say was that some dealers and/or manufacturers equip the Rv's with low quality batteries that maybe survive the warranty period and that it is in the individuals best interest to install good batteries of their choice afterwards.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 AM   #19

No worries. Any idea how I can leave the rv plugged in to 110v and not have the converter frying the batteries? So u can keep the fridge on and still have power to the outlets for a heater and dehumidifier?
Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #20

Just trip the converter breaker in your distribution box.

Tags
battery