Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Retired Bum

Battery type

I have a 2020 Geo Pro 19FD that has dual batteries. When I first looked under the battery cover I noticed one of the batteries is a marine starting battery. This is my first experience with dual batteries, my previous pop up only had one. So maybe it is different with two but I was always told you should use deep cycle vs starting or cranking batteries.

Does anyone know, is this the wrong type in this set up or does it matter?
bhbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
clr

You are correct in your assumption, that it should be a deep cycle type of battery. A deep discharge battery is much better able to handle RV type service better. If a marine type battery you should have one designed for your trolling motor. Also the batteries need to be as exact of a match as possible when they are operating in parallel like there are here.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #3

Marine starting batteries are a dual purpose battery. Better than an automotive battery when used as a deep cycle battery but not as good as a Golf Cart battery as a deep cycle.

If you keep to the 50% rule they'll last you for some time under normal use. When they ultimately wear out just look for a real deep cycle battery (or pair) that will suit your needs.

These batteries will serve you well for short periods of Boondocking/dry camping. If you extensively Boondock and have to rely on them for electricity how well they perform will depend on how heavily you draw power from them.

If only for lights in the evening and running the water pump and furnace on a chilly night I've found that two marine batteries like you describe can last several days (during warm weather with limited furnace use at night).

If you merely use them for that night in a Rest Area or Parking lot while on your way to your next full hookup campground they'll be just fine.

Use them and while doing so determine what your needs are and then replace them with something appropriate. If you decide that lots of boondocking is in your future and you want to run the generator infrequently consider upgrading to Lithium. I can run a week on mine if I forgo the evening movie. 5 days if I watch a movie every night. Recharging only takes 3-4 hours on the generator and if I have Sun during the day my portable solar panel setup recharges by 3 PM.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

I would counter the statement that you need deep cycle batteries. But this depends on what your usage is. Unilateral statements just bother me without an explanation. If you do off grid boondocking then deep cycle are most appropriate. But if you are always connected to park power then the marine / RV hybrid batteries are totally viable.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Retired Bum

As it turns out, They are both identical marine starting batteries. But this trailer is promoted as being very good for boondocking, with solar panel and “off road” package, ie; bigger tires and 4” higher clearance, so I would have thought true deep cycle batteries would be more appropriate.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbeck View Post
As it turns out, They are both identical marine starting batteries. But this trailer is promoted as being very good for boondocking, with solar panel and “off road” package, ie; bigger tires and 4” higher clearance, so I would have thought true deep cycle batteries would be more appropriate.
More than a few boaters have spent days using batteries just like yours to spend several days either tied to a marine park dock or on anchor, doing just like travel trailer owners.

There are better batteries if you plan on spending LONG times without charging but these are fine if managed well. If boondocking for extended periods one will need a means of recharging regardless of the type of battery used. Either a generator (small one if only recharging and not running microwave and A/C) or a solar panel or two. For simplicity many get "Solar Suitcase" units that merely plug into the "pre-wired plug" on the trailer. Regardless, the main difference between using batteries as you have and a couple of large golf cart batteries is how often you need to recharge but you will have to recharge regardless.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Retired Bum

Thanks everyone for your input. At least now I know they, either Rockwood or dealer didn’t necessarily install the wrong batteries, just maybe not the best. Won’t bother changing them out now, will wait to see if becomes a problem.

One other dumb question- is a charger, generator, or running TV the only way to charge these batteries? They won’t change just plugged into shore power, will they?
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. At least now I know they, either Rockwood or dealer didn’t necessarily install the wrong batteries, just maybe not the best. Won’t bother changing them out now, will wait to see if becomes a problem.

One other dumb question- is a charger, generator, or running TV the only way to charge these batteries? They won’t change just plugged into shore power, will they?
They certainly will. The Converter that provides 12V power while plugged in also functions as a charger.

It's a good idea to check the electrolyte (water) level in your battery cells on a monthly basis to make sure that while plugged in the charger hasn't caused water loss. Even though the batteries are sold as Maintenance Free they often use a little water over the discharge/charge cycles and they fail quickly if a cell goes dry enough to expose plates.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Retired Bum

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Electricity is obviously not my first language. Thanks again, I’ll put the water level check on my maintenance checklist.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #10

Do you have a solar panel? It can be used to provide some level of recharging while boondocking. A typical scenario reported here often is to run generator in the morning to do some bulk charging and then let the solar top off the batteries during the day. Of course, this depends on state of the batteries, your usage of them, size of solar panel, clouds, etc. you converter takes 120vac power ( shore power or generator power) and converts it to 12vdc to recharge batteries. Solar controller created 12vdc to charge batteries from sunlight.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Unless you are aware of this, BEFORE you purchase your trailer, dealers will install the cheapest 12v marine battery they can find. Batteries on towables are Dealer-installed items, not factory. So they really don't care if the trailer is promoted as good for boondocking, they just want to sell it and get it off the lot. They know few customers research what batteries are better for dry camping or boondocking.
What you should do, during the purchase negotiations, is get a pair of 6v golf cart batteries installed, in lieu of the cheap 12v dual purpose marine batteries. Or get credit towards a pair of 6v golf cart batteries.
Unfortunately you, along with many newbies, trusted the dealer to do what's best for the customer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
Retired Bum

Yes, it does have a 100w solar panel installed. So at least that will help a little. Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, it does have a 100w solar panel installed. So at least that will help a little. Thanks
Yea, not saying that you can't just use the 12v marine batteries, we did for years but we were dry campers, not boondock.
It's just that a bank of 6v golf cart batteries are a much better choice for boondocking for extended periods.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery