Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 32
Thanks for all the information!

I think long term I'd eventually like to get a couple of Battle Born Lithium batteries, but I'm not really ready to spend the money right now and their lead time is currently a couple of weeks. I've got a camping trip coming up next week so I need something sooner than that.

I'm thinking about going with a couple of GC2 batteries for the time being.

After a lot of looking, I've found that O'Reilly's has rebranded Deka (East Penn) GC2 for pretty good prices:

This one looks to be the same as the Deka GC25 235 AH for $117.99:

https://bit.ly/2BmtCnr

They also have the East Penn AGM 190 AH for $201.99:

https://bit.ly/2UVdzEk

I'm leaning toward the AGM because I like the idea of zero maintenance, better deep discharge tolerance, and faster recharge, but not sure if all that is worth giving up the extra capacity.

My existing battery bank when new was rated at 128 AH, so even the 190 AH should be a significant upgrade.

Any thoughts on this?
__________________

AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,048
Alan

The only difference in maintenance between AGM and FLA batteries is adding water once every 3-4 months or longer (depends on whether they sit on a charger or not). If your batteries are readily accessible, adding water is trivial. My Costco/Interstate GC-2s ($95 each) sit on the tongue, so checking water level/adding water is very simple.

Since I don't have/use a generator, faster recharge is not an issue. If you are still using a WFCO converter to charge your batteries, you are not going to get optimum recharge times, anyway. And depending on converter capacity and wiring, you may need to also upgrade wiring between the converter and batteries to see a recharge time improvement.

My point is that the "advantages" of AGM may or may not be realized, depending on your particular circumstances. For my circumstances, the Costco or Walmart/Sams Club are the best bang for the buck.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with PD4135 converter, Costco/Interstate GC-2 215AH batteries
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
__________________

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Alan
Since I don't have/use a generator, faster recharge is not an issue. If you are still using a WFCO converter to charge your batteries, you are not going to get optimum recharge times, anyway. And depending on converter capacity and wiring, you may need to also upgrade wiring between the converter and batteries to see a recharge time improvement.
Thanks for your thoughts on this!

I do have a generator, so recharge time is important to me.

I'm using a Xantrex inverter/charge with up to a 55A charge rate and I have pretty much the largest practical gauge of wiring (2/0) between it and the batteries.

I agree that adding water isn't difficult, but its more about me actually remembering to do it. If I go with standard batteries I'll definitely add it to my pre-trip checklist.

While I realize that many people seem to have good luck with the Costco GC2 batteries, there are quite a few negative reviews (1.6 stars out of 5 on Costco.com) compared to other brands, so I'm thinking it might be worth spending a little bit more. I seen a lot of positive reviews on the East Penn (Deka) products.

Still on the fence about AGM vs. Flooded.
AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
... While I realize that many people seem to have good luck with the Costco GC2 batteries, there are quite a few negative reviews (1.6 stars out of 5 on Costco.com) compared to other brands, so I'm thinking it might be worth spending a little bit more. I seen a lot of positive reviews on the East Penn (Deka) products. ...
Sam's Club sells 215AH Duracell (Deka) GC2s for $89. They also have 230AH GC2s but the extra 15AH come at a high incremental cost.
__________________
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L Ecoboost, 1700# payload
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Sam's Club sells 215AH Duracell (Deka) GC2s for $89. They also have 230AH GC2s but the extra 15AH come at a high incremental cost.
Unfortunately, the closest Sam's club is 2 hours away.

I ended up buying two of the Deka GC25's from O'Reilly:

https://bit.ly/2BmtCnr

Thanks!

Alan
AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Unfortunately, the closest Sam's club is 2 hours away.

I ended up buying two of the Deka GC25's from O'Reilly:

https://bit.ly/2BmtCnr
Same battery; different label.
__________________
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L Ecoboost, 1700# payload
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 218
battery

ive been buying walmart battery's for all my veicle's for years,,great battery's they are usa made by Johnson Controls..
__________________
Save a beer for me!!! Happy Trails....Be Safe....
sunnyinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 97
If you have a toy hauler you should have enough space up front for a bank of batteries as I did. I have a Bighorn 39MBH with more than enough space up front

I use 4 interstate AGM batteries, 2 6volt banks connected in series. I also use a battery selector switch, I traditionally run off of 1 bank at a time, that way I will always have a reserve if the other bank runs down.

Each battery gives me 210 amp hour per battery so if I turn the selector to both banks I have a capacity of 850 AH. This will give me 2 to 3 days of power available for my residential fridge.

My unit came solar power ready so when boon docking I will set up my 100 watt solar panel that does assist and recharges my batteries.

Other benefits is AGM batteries will recharge quicker, less forgiving when discharged to far as well. It will hit the wallet a little but to me it was an investment to be properly equipped for the camping I do, cost be about $1,000 for the 4 batteries.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
camaraderie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
ive been buying walmart battery's for all my veicle's for years,,great battery's they are usa made by Johnson Controls..
Johnson controls sold their battery business. They source batteries from both the new guys and others now.
__________________
________
Cam
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
If you have a toy hauler you should have enough space up front for a bank of batteries as I did. I have a Bighorn 39MBH with more than enough space up front

I use 4 interstate AGM batteries, 2 6volt banks connected in series. I also use a battery selector switch, I traditionally run off of 1 bank at a time, that way I will always have a reserve if the other bank runs down.

Each battery gives me 210 amp hour per battery so if I turn the selector to both banks I have a capacity of 850 AH. This will give me 2 to 3 days of power available for my residential fridge.

My unit came solar power ready so when boon docking I will set up my 100 watt solar panel that does assist and recharges my batteries.

Other benefits is AGM batteries will recharge quicker, less forgiving when discharged to far as well. It will hit the wallet a little but to me it was an investment to be properly equipped for the camping I do, cost be about $1,000 for the 4 batteries.
If you have four 6 volt (210 AH) batteries then you have 420 AH not 850 AH.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:07 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Well from your list

Since you have a type 24 currently you should be able to replace it with either a type 27 or 31 true deep cycle battery for increased capacity. Bottom line is you may be able to get larger capacity with two larger 12 batteries in parallel, than two 6v batteries in series.
When he initially posted he said the two GP 24:boxes don't fit. I read that to mean GR 27 to 31 s will not fit at all. Two gr GC2 BOXES WILL FIT in place of 24s and I just cut part of the handles off to make it fix better A pair of 24, 27, and 29s will not match the 235 amps you can get with two good GC2s. Pushing it with really expensive 31 s well they might match but the cost????


Of course I'm in the process of building 2; 200 amp 12v. (13.2 really) LiFePo batteries that will each fit in one GC2 cheap plastic box. So study 20 YouTube videos and spend $1200 bucks wisely on AliExpress and he's home free.
__________________

__________________
Tom48
In Sunny So Cal /w
Now in 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador DP and The Hot Air Balloon RESTLESS
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, upgrade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


×