Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Thumbs up Best 30a Portable Surge Protector...?

What is the best 30amp portable surge protector for the money? Where available at the lowest cost (i.e. free shipping)?

I'm not interested in one that is only good for one incident but prefer one that resets itself... Thx.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

IMHO the best is:Progressive Industries Portable 30AMP Electrical Management System. Ain't cheap but I bought one 4 years ago because of the protection it provides and Progressives' reputation. You can do a search but Tweety's is a good price.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

I just purchased the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp as well. It is Model Number EMS-PT30C. I did a lot of research and this seems to be the best. Lifetime Warranty on the product as well. Have not seen that on any others. Here is the link to where I found the best deal with free shipping.

Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Was shipped quickly. I actually just received it today via UPS. They provide a tracking number and all.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I just purchased the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp as well. It is Model Number EMS-PT30C. I did a lot of research and this seems to be the best. Lifetime Warranty on the product as well. Have not seen that on any others. Here is the link to where I found the best deal with free shipping.

Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Was shipped quickly. I actually just received it today via UPS. They provide a tracking number and all.
I bought the same one from the same place.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

OK... PI seems like the brand to get. Is it worth paying almost $300 for the EMS or can I get by with the $89 SSP-30?

In other words, am I more likely to need basic surge protection or protection from all the "other" electrical issues? I would be interested to what problems I am most likely to face...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

I would still go with the more expensive protector. I debated just as you are and after reading owners horror stories on reversed polarity issues, low voltage problems and the like killing their appliances I opted with the more secure protector. If you are going to spend $$ at least get what is going to give you a peace of mind. A question to ask yourself, "If I buy the cheaper one, will I feel good about the choice and have a sense of peace about it?" I did not so that is why I spent $160 more.

Yes either way you will be protected but just not as well. Here is a graph that may help your choice.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Articles.asp?ID=279
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Just think what it would cost to repair/replace all your electronics, tv, stereo, microwave, circuit boards on fridge, hot water heater, furnace, etc. Well worth the added $$ to go with the EMS and for the price in pbrackneys link (nice find!) you can't go wrong.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
I'm not interested in one that is only good for one incident but prefer one that resets itself... Thx.
Surge protector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MOVs and other surge devices do not blow like fuses, but they do get "used up" by repeated spikes and have to be replaced eventually.

Surge Suppressors shunt high voltage spikes to ground through themselves getting used up in the process.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I bought the same one from the same place.
I also picked up the PT30C from Dyers. Best overall pricing b/c shipping was free and very quick delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
OK... PI seems like the brand to get. Is it worth paying almost $300 for the EMS or can I get by with the $89 SSP-30?

In other words, am I more likely to need basic surge protection or protection from all the "other" electrical issues? I would be interested to what problems I am most likely to face...
Take a moment to read through this thread about surge protectors from a couple of weeks ago.

In general, I found in my research that the PT30C offers better protection than its little brother - the SSP30 - but for 2 1/2 time the cost.

For this cost, you get protection against higher levels (Joules and Amps) and things like over/under voltage, open neutral, and reverse polarity protection, accidental 220v protection, automatic reset, etc.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

I have this one because of it has a relay and monitor circuit that will not active power thru it until it is correct. You have to plug in and it checks if the shore power is low, high, no ground, open nuetral. It will drop out if the power changes in any way.
Along with this if a lighting stike the MOV's will blow

Manuf. Details
This 30 amp Surge Guard unit monitors shore power continuously and shuts off when it detects excessive voltage or open neutral conditions that could damage electronic equipment in your coach. The 30 amp portable unit can be moved from coach to coach and does not require internal installation.
Additional features include:
  • Automatic reset on power restoration.<LI sizset="14" sizcache="0">Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present:
    • Open neutral
    • Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
    <LI sizset="17" sizcache="0">Caution indicator light indicates:
    • Miswired pedestal
    • Reverse polarity
    • Elevated ground voltage
  • 2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.
  • Convenient plug disconnect handles.
  • 1050 Joules of power surge protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34730_r62011_New.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	11487  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Brigitte

I got the same one but cannot vouch for it yet, I haven't used it. Bought it for piece of mind. Heard/read horror stories of unprotected trailers burning down or getting electronics damage,
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I have this one because of it has a relay and monitor circuit that will not active power thru it until it is correct. You have to plug in and it checks if the shore power is low, high, no ground, open neutral. It will drop out if the power changes in any way.
Along with this if a lighting strike the MOV's will blow

Manuf. Details
This 30 amp Surge Guard unit monitors shore power continuously and shuts off when it detects excessive voltage or open neutral conditions that could damage electronic equipment in your coach. The 30 amp portable unit can be moved from coach to coach and does not require internal installation.

Additional features include:
  • Automatic reset on power restoration.<LI sizset="14" sizcache="0">Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present:
    • Open neutral
    • Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage
    <LI sizset="17" sizcache="0">Caution indicator light indicates:
    • Miswired pedestal
    • Reverse polarity
    • Elevated ground voltage
  • 2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.
  • Convenient plug disconnect handles.
  • 1050 Joules of power surge protection.
Iggy,

There is a difference between high voltage (over 132Volts AC continuous) and a spike. High or low voltage is usually a power company or campground issue at the transformer.

Spikes can be thousands of volts for microseconds and are measured in Joules of power. The bigger the spike, the less of them a surge protector can handle. (Sometimes if it is a lightning strike, it can be just one) Ideally, you will never know when your surge protector has "handled" a spike. It just does. As the surge handling devices "get used up" an indicator light will tell you you need to replace the surge protector.

Lightening is not the only cause of power line surges. Car accidents that bring down power poles that have live wires that arc to the ground can cause damaging surges. No as bad as a direct lightening strike, a good surge suppressor can handle many of these.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #13

Besides the P.I. SSP-30, I'm going to supplement with a TRC Digital Line Monitor(Campingworld). If low voltage persists in a crowded campground during a very hot weekend, I can monitor voltage readings before trouble happens. It also has alarms of high & low voltage, with other checks like the high dollar P.I. surge protectors. All I've been reading on the net(besides CampingWorld) have been giving it high marks.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandPandra View Post
Besides the P.I. SSP-30, I'm going to supplement with a TRC Digital Line Monitor(Campingworld). If low voltage persists in a crowded campground during a very hot weekend, I can monitor voltage readings before trouble happens. It also has alarms of high & low voltage, with other checks like the high dollar P.I. surge protectors. All I've been reading on the net(besides CampingWorld) have been giving it high marks.
Where are/did you mount this monitor?
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15

Just ordered the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30c from Camping World as they had an internet special. According to a Progressive trained service rep at TechnoRV, the most common problem is low voltage which the EMS unit covers and the regular surge protectors (eg. SSP30) do not. This is especially true in the summer where everyone the campground is using their AC. The anology that was used is, it is similar to when everyone in your neighborhood is watering their lawn, the water pressure goes down... and so does voltage.

Researched the following for best prices:

Camping World $215.32 (plus $15.07 tax + $5.75 shipping = $236.14 total)
DyersOnline $263.98 (Free shipping)
RVupgrades $257.74 (plus 12.50 shipping = $270.24 total)
TechnoRV $279.00 (Free shipping)
Amazon $341.00
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

For a few bucks more (OK, many bucks more) I got the Franks Voltage correction system.

It clips spikes and levels incoming voltage above 125 volts and "ramps up" low voltage to the correct voltage range. You never have to worry about low voltage. It fixes it automatically. Voltage "monitors" will alert you that something is wrong. This bad boy does something about it.

They make a 50 amp unit as well.
Voltage Booster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	12012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	12013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	12014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks Voltage Booster Page 4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	12015  
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #17

OK, gotta ask. I realize I need a surge protector and like the idea of the portable device. I assume you plug it into the post at the rv site and your power cord gets plugged into the device. So how do you keep this little jewel yours? That is, how can you stop someone from borrowing it unexpectantly?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #18

Ultimately you can't. The progressive unit has a small steel ring on it that you could lock to the pedestal at the campground, but not sure how reliable it would be. I have found that people at campgrounds are pretty courteous about people's property. When you think about all the stuff that is outside of a trailer at a campground: chairs, rug, bikes, grill, awning tie downs, awning lights, hoses, supports for hoses, electrical cords, swear hose, cabels, hitches, etc... And that does not include pop-ups that really anyone could get into with a key and get pretty much whatever they would like. You do not hear much about stuff being stolen. Not to say it does not happen, I am sure it does, but I have been camping for 15 years with my family and then my whole life with my parents before that and I never remember having anyone take anything of ours. I guess, yes, it is a risk because it is there.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

In a perfect world it would just sit there and never be bothered.
While not "waterproof," it is "weather resistant"

I turn over the egg crate I keep it in; Put the unit on top of it; Cover the whole shooting match with a black garbage bag; and a bike lock through the handle, crate, and around the pedestal. Been 2 years camping with it and so far never a problem (knocking on wood).

I entertained installing in inside the camper at one time.
(May still do it one day assuming it don't get stolen. )
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
OK, gotta ask. I realize I need a surge protector and like the idea of the portable device. I assume you plug it into the post at the rv site and your power cord gets plugged into the device. So how do you keep this little jewel yours? That is, how can you stop someone from borrowing it unexpectantly?
If it worries you about it going bye bye just buy the internal unit with remote display and mount it behind the converter.

EMS-HW30C

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote