Old 10-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Best 6v golf cart batteries

Not trying to change the subject of this thread, but with the good info being shared, what are good golf kart batteries to use. My Flagstaff 2018 30wfkss only came with one battery and I've always thought about upgrading to two. And I have a CPAP too but never use the humidifier on it.

Gun guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #2

My batteries are Napa Auto Parts brand made by East Penn. They are 7 years old and going strong, they do get a real workout because I boon dock 99% of the time for weeks on end.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

My Deka ProMasters are still like new, but it's only been a year for me. They are also made by East Penn. Purchased from Lowe's.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Which battery characteristic makes a battery "best" in your opinion? Cost? Number of deep cycles before losing too much capacity?

I use Interstate/Costco GC-2 batteries ($95 each) as the "best" performance/cost. Sam's Club offers similar quality Duracell GC-2s for a similar price. One advantage of the Costco/Interstates is that they have a high turnover at our local Costco - lots of RV owners and golf cart owners use them so they aren't sitting on the shelf at Costco.

You can pay more for Trojans or Surettes and probably get more deep cycles of battery life, and as much as 10% increased capacity in the same battery "size". But note that all GC-2 batteries are not exactly the same size. They tend to vary in height as much as 3/4", and sometimes a little bit in length (1/2" or less). That was another advantage of Costco/Interstate for me - their GC-2s would fit in my existing Grp 24 dual battery box.

My first set was in my A-frame for 4 years before I sold them with the A-frame. I bought the present set for my new A-frame 15 months ago. But how you use the batteries and maintain them has a lot to do with their longevity. If you don't run the batteries below 50% SOC, if you don't leave them sitting for weeks less than fully charged, if you maintain the water levels correctly - you will have a much longer battery life than if you fail to do these things.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

I'd go with the Trojan T-105 wet cells or Trojan AGM Reliant GC2 6Volts for an excellent cycle life (1k cycles at 50%), reliable, rugged construction at a decent price.
Cheapest way to go is the Duracells at Costco or similar and many are happy with these.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

I have a hard time finding the Trojans in my area Albany, NY area. No Costco in the area either. Bulbs Batteries sells Duracell.
Will see what I can find in the Spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd go with the Trojan T-105 wet cells or Trojan AGM Reliant GC2 6Volts for an excellent cycle life (1k cycles at 50%), reliable, rugged construction at a decent price.
Cheapest way to go is the Duracells at Costco or similar and many are happy with these.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

Since you asked...the best 6V golf cart batteries are the GC2 lithiums followed by GC2 AGM batteries followed in the end by various manufacturer's FLA batteries with the top of the heap being Trojan, Lifeline, Royal...

The batteries at Sams club and Costco may or may not give you the best bang for your buck. BUT...if you are going FLA and you don't want to put in the effort to take care of your batteries by keeping them fully charged when in storage and discharging then too much, then buy the cheapest batteries you can find because they aren't going to last very long anyway.

For myself....I use lithium in my trailer and AGM in both of my boats. They are all 12V batteries and not 6v GC batteries.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I have a hard time finding the Trojans in my area Albany, NY area. No Costco in the area either. Bulbs Batteries sells Duracell.
Will see what I can find in the Spring.
Here's a link to their master distributors in NYState...a call to the closest one will prolly get you the local guys.

https://tools.trojanbattery.com/dealers.aspx
Just select region and scroll all the way down to NY
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Here's a link to their master distributors in NYState...a call to the closest one will prolly get you the local guys.

https://tools.trojanbattery.com/dealers.aspx
Just select region and scroll all the way down to NY
We have many Trojan dealers within a one hour driving distance. If you have golf courses nearby, there are likely trojan dealers. They ALL use Trojan batteries for a reason.

BTW, going to be interesting regarding 6V GC batteries down the road since very few golf carts use 6V batteries anymore. Almost all use 12V or 8V since most golf carts are 48V now.

I have many friends who are also retired and live on golf courses. Many are switching to lithium since they use their golf carts 5 days a week.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #10

Thank you for the link. They are still a drive but might be worth it. I will contact them.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #11

For a great primer on house batteries,

https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-de...XvaWxECI8UgbNg
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

In my opinion, the cost/benefit of obtaining markedly higher priced Trojans is not worth it, unless you live some kind of nomadic existence where you constantly charge and recharge, like found on a golf course in their carts. My 5 long weekends a year in our trailer does not fit that category. I paid just under 300 USD for my pair of Deka GC2 6volts (didn't have cores to exchange). I know the Trojans are quite a bit more.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
In my opinion, the cost/benefit of obtaining markedly higher priced Trojans is not worth it, unless you live some kind of nomadic existence where you constantly charge and recharge, like found on a golf course in their carts. My 5 long weekends a year in our trailer does not fit that category. I paid just under 300 USD for my pair of Deka GC2 6volts (didn't have cores to exchange). I know the Trojans are quite a bit more.
You could likely use anything since you don't camp much.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

I would camp more, but my old lady has years to go before retirement and does not get a lot of time off. Just don't think I'd have fun without her.