Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Plano, TX

Best converter on the market?

The battery that came in my 2016 TT must have been sitting in the unit on the lot for a while because it wouldn't take a charge when I got it home. I immediately replaced the WFCO converter to an IOTA brand DLS-30 (IQ4) 4-stage converter and put a new AGM battery in it. Everything worked fine but after about a year the battery will barely hold a charge. It does stay plugged in during storage in my driveway but the new converter is supposed to have a float mode. At this point I'm not sure what the best way to go is. Charging the battery off the rig isn't really an option because we "camp" a lot, even during the winter, and it's not easy to get in and out. I assume the converter is just cheap and not doing what it claims and is overcharging the battery. I was thinking about hard wiring in a small Battery Tender on a switch inside the TT so that I could toggle between converter and trickle charger while in storage and shore power is plugged in. Then I found a Battery Tender brand charger that has 5-stages and I thought I could just replace the converter completely with but it is $400. Should I just buy a better quality converter and be done with it? (Of course that may run north of $400) I've always had good luck with Battery Tender brand products over many years with motorcycles and such and I'm a little leary that these converters are just not doing what they claim. I've looked at other brands too, Progressive Dynamics and Boondocker but I guess I want to get y'all's opinion on which brand is best overall.
Ale_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

My opinion is to call Randy at Best Converter and ask him that exact question. I bet he will ask you a few questions and then give you his recommendation. I'm guessing that it'll probably be a Boondocker, but it could be something else. I'd trust him to give you an honest answer.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
My opinion is to call Randy at Best Converter and ask him that exact question. I bet he will ask you a few questions and then give you his recommendation. I'm guessing that it'll probably be a Boondocker, but it could be something else. I'd trust him to give you an honest answer.
I appreciate the referral. I'll give him a shout. I believe that site is where I bought the IOTA converter.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

This is what I like and use. Right after I bought my camper in 2012, I pulled out the WFCO converter and installed a 9200 Progressive Dynamics Converter with the charge wizard and the remote indicator. My batteries are the original Interstate batteries the dealer installed. Probably in late 2011 or early 2012. I've never had them out, so I don't know what the date stamps says.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #5

X2. Randy convinced me to get the Boondocker converter over the PD last month when my 8 year old converter bit the dust. Nice guy and great customer service. My first trip with the Boondocker and so far I'm really enjoying it!
Quote:
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
This is what I like and use. Right after I bought my camper in 2012, I pulled out the WFCO converter and installed a 9200 Progressive Dynamics Converter with the charge wizard and the remote indicator. My batteries are the original Interstate batteries the dealer installed. Probably in late 2011 or early 2012. I've never had them out, so I don't know what the date stamps says.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/
That's a pretty stout review! Do you leave your camper plugged in to shore power when not in use?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
X3 with Randy
Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer View Post
That's a pretty stout review! Do you leave your camper plugged in to shore power when not in use?
Yup. It's always plugged in. My phone is set to remind me once a month to check electrolyte in the batteries, so they never run low. I have 4 of the 6 volt Interstates.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #9

AGM's hate continuous float. Charge 'em up and take off the negative batt wire and you should be good for 6 months of storage. It ain't the converters fault.

The SPECIFIED function of the Iota is to go into bulk mode EVERY 7 DAYS if it remains in float that long. This is to mix the solution acid/water for longer life in wet cells. MANY other automatic battery chargers have a bulk mode OR worse an EQ mode weekly. NOT a good plan for an AGM battery that needs to vent and then runs "dry".
You need a charge controller that does not drop out of float AND has adjustable settings as you want to keep float volts minimal in the 13.2-4V range and not drop into bult or absorb modes unless battery VOLTAGE drops...not on some sort of time schedule.
You have a nice converter. Simplest solution is to get a wet cell of high quality and an auto fill (pro-fill) system to make topping it up easy and stop worrying about it.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #10

x4 randy. I put a boondocker in my last 5er over a Progressive dynamic because of the warranty
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Plano, TX

I emailed Randy but haven't heard back yet. Joe_GA it sounds like your batteries are still in good shape because they aren't 12V AGM batteries. It sounds like from what you guys are saying that I guess the IOTA is working so may not be worth buying a new Progressive Dynamics converter. I only got the AGM because I thought they lasted longer, especially when deep cycled regularly, and I thought I read that the IOTA converter was compatible with AGM batteries. If the easy fix here is just replace the battery with a lead acid battery then I can do that today! I'm not looking for light weight or extreme boon-docking capability. I just have the one battery and the only thing I really ask of it is to keep the fridge running in LP mode for 8 hours or so. My fridge doesn't have a switch to turn off the Yoder strip, unfortunately. I'll let you guys know what Randy says when I hear back from him.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #12

AGMs DON'T last longer under lab conditions than Flooded. They do last longer in the field because flooded get abused by not keeping liquid topped off and sulfation due to improper charging/recharging. Based on your comments, I suggest you go back to flooded.
Both Progressive ans Iota are fine charges and they are compatible with AGM ...but compatible does not mean dropping into an automatic bulk charge when not needed every 7 days! Is sounds like the 4th cycle can be turned off on the Boodocker chargers so that you are left with a 3 stage charger that is compatible in every way with AGM's.
When Randy responds you should ask him.
Can I turn off any automatic bulk/EQ charging?
Can I adjust the bulk charging voltage to 14.4 or 14.2V?
If the answers are yes...then you are good to go.

Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #13

Try calling the 800 number at BestConverter. You will probably have to leave a message. Randy did call me back in a timely manner. I never got a response from my email either.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #14

Watching .....
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
AGMs DON'T last longer under lab conditions than Flooded. They do last longer in the field because flooded get abused by not keeping liquid topped off and sulfation due to improper charging/recharging. Based on your comments, I suggest you go back to flooded.
Both Progressive ans Iota are fine charges and they are compatible with AGM ...but compatible does not mean dropping into an automatic bulk charge when not needed every 7 days! Is sounds like the 4th cycle can be turned off on the Boodocker chargers so that you are left with a 3 stage charger that is compatible in every way with AGM's.
When Randy responds you should ask him.
Can I turn off any automatic bulk/EQ charging?
Can I adjust the bulk charging voltage to 14.4 or 14.2V?
If the answers are yes...then you are good to go.

Good luck!

If you read the Progressive Dynamic's literature their 4 stage charging algorithm is more than compatible with AGM's. Progressive had discussed this with all the major AGM manufacturer's and their "Equalization/Desulfation" mode is benign enough it doesn't harm AGM's as a true "Equalization Charger" putting out well over 15 volts would. At least that's what the battery manufacturers say.

FWIW, most multi-stage converters only remain in Bulk mode a relatively short time if the battery is only discharged to 50% or lower DOD. For those adhering to the 50% "rule", the converter will rapidly switch to absorbtion mode. If I recall correctly PD's equalization mode is only 14.4 volts and it only lasts for 15 min's or so. Barely enough time to even warm up the average battery regardless of chemistry.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer View Post
I emailed Randy but haven't heard back yet. Joe_GA it sounds like your batteries are still in good shape because they aren't 12V AGM batteries. It sounds like from what you guys are saying that I guess the IOTA is working so may not be worth buying a new Progressive Dynamics converter. I only got the AGM because I thought they lasted longer, especially when deep cycled regularly, and I thought I read that the IOTA converter was compatible with AGM batteries. If the easy fix here is just replace the battery with a lead acid battery then I can do that today! I'm not looking for light weight or extreme boon-docking capability. I just have the one battery and the only thing I really ask of it is to keep the fridge running in LP mode for 8 hours or so. My fridge doesn't have a switch to turn off the Yoder strip, unfortunately. I'll let you guys know what Randy says when I hear back from him.
Yup. Mine are not AGM and they would have been toast by now if I hadn't been so diligent in keeping the electrolyte levels topped off. I've run into people that don't even know they have to check the levels in wet cell batteries.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
Plano, TX

Lots of great info guys, I really appreciate it. I think I'll take camaraderie's advice and switch back to a flooded cell battery. I'm good with maintenance so keeping the electrolyte levels topped off is no issue. I knew that the BULK mode wouldn't do anything to benefit the AGM but I also didn't think it would harm it. Luckily, I have a pretty new Interstate lead acid laying around that's the right size (31). It's on the trickle charger now, hoping it is still good.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
AGM's hate continuous float. Charge 'em up and take off the negative batt wire and you should be good for 6 months of storage. It ain't the converters fault.

The SPECIFIED function of the Iota is to go into bulk mode EVERY 7 DAYS if it remains in float that long. This is to mix the solution acid/water for longer life in wet cells. MANY other automatic battery chargers have a bulk mode OR worse an EQ mode weekly. NOT a good plan for an AGM battery that needs to vent and then runs "dry".
You need a charge controller that does not drop out of float AND has adjustable settings as you want to keep float volts minimal in the 13.2-4V range and not drop into bult or absorb modes unless battery VOLTAGE drops...not on some sort of time schedule.
You have a nice converter. Simplest solution is to get a wet cell of high quality and an auto fill (pro-fill) system to make topping it up easy and stop worrying about it.

I have piles of AGM sitting in data centers on float charge for many years at a time. No problem with them at all. in fact the most of the computer/cell phone industry is based on AGM technology for backups.

Here is a paper on one of the more popular RV/trolling 27 series AGM batteries. I ran a pair through 5 years in 2 different truck campers, than sold them with last truck camper and they still work as new. But they were stored on Solar charger 100% of the time (Bogart Engineering system with Bogart PWM controller)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I have piles of AGM sitting in data centers on float charge for many years at a time. No problem with them at all. in fact the most of the computer/cell phone industry is based on AGM technology for backups.

Here is a paper on one of the more popular RV/trolling 27 series AGM batteries. I ran a pair through 5 years in 2 different truck campers, than sold them with last truck camper and they still work as new. But they were stored on Solar charger 100% of the time (Bogart Engineering system with Bogart PWM controller)
Maybe it all comes down to which charger/charge controller/converter you are using? I don't know what kind of technology they use in the APC battery back-ups but we have hundreds in our building and they have to be replaced every two years because they won't take a charge anymore and all they ever get is a float charge because they never get used. If you're saying they are using AGM batteries, they must have crappy charge controllers.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #20

I am talking about this size UPS. not the ones that use the little batteries like your office models.

Tags
converter