Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #1

Bicycle on a stand used to generate electricity

I don’t know where to post this but here goes. I know that there are several people on this forum that are electricity experts and I hope they can help me. We take our bikes with us when we travel ( going full time in May ) and I have a bike trainer stand that I want to convert to generate power to use in the rig or trickle charge the batteries. I figure while I am getting my exercise I can do some recharging at the same time. I have found kits online but I don’t think I need the entire kit with the stand. Before I invest in this, is this a bad idea with an RV meaning would it harm the equipment or batteries if I did this? Seeing that it would be that it may not be a steady cadence and if I get distracted I would stop and start. We already have solar but I just thought on cloudy days this would kill two birds with one stone.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
I don’t know where to post this but here goes. I know that there are several people on this forum that are electricity experts and I hope they can help me. We take our bikes with us when we travel ( going full time in May ) and I have a bike trainer stand that I want to convert to generate power to use in the rig or trickle charge the batteries. I figure while I am getting my exercise I can do some recharging at the same time. I have found kits online but I don’t think I need the entire kit with the stand. Before I invest in this, is this a bad idea with an RV meaning would it harm the equipment or batteries if I did this? Seeing that it would be that it may not be a steady cadence and if I get distracted I would stop and start. We already have solar but I just thought on cloudy days this would kill two birds with one stone.
To each his own as the saying goes. However the effort to produce electricity on a stationary bike at a campsite would be minimal I believe unless of course you are an athlete. Here is a link that might help you understand the physics better.

https://www.gearandgrit.com/convert-...urned-cycling/

Tags
electric