Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Angry Big Woops 208v not 120v

Forest River
Wildwood LA, T27
Travel Trailer

So some how we managed to plug into a 208v supply. I did some tests and found the 120v side to be fine other then the microwave getting fried (I think), I am getting around 2v on the load sides of the low voltage load sides. So I am guessing the converter/charger is shot? I tested all fuses on the front they are fine. It seems the battery is not getting charge any more also. Im guessing we are not the first to make this mistake so if anyone knows what usually pops first, perhaps a fuse I am not seeing or something. If you think it is the converter/charger might you know what I should get to replace it, I don't mind going with a upgrade either. THANK YOU FOR READING!
WaCamperATVfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your problem,but all of your Checking after could have been prevented by Checking (Before) pluging in. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem,but all of your Checking after could have been prevented by Checking (Before) pluging in. Youroo!!
Thank you captain obvious, very helpful. Ill remind the wife.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaCamperATVfun View Post
Thank you captain obvious, very helpful. Ill remind the wife.
Nice reply I see you went from (We) to (Wife) nice cover! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

Yep, not the first. Here's another thread that will help: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...pid-49302.html

If you need to replace your Converter, upgrade it to a Progressive Dynamics unit. Much better.

Hopefully the air conditioners weren't on at the time. Was water heater or fridge on electric?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Nah, the dog did it.

Honestly, I have never checked the voltage output. Most of our/me/DW/we don't have a dog to blame is without power or a state campground. That would have fried my TT too.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Nice reply I see you went from (We) to (Wife) nice cover! Youroo!!
She feels bad enough about it didn't want to add salt to the wounds and my wife and I are a team. It is what it is. Anywhoo im done feeding the forum troll.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yep, not the first. Here's another thread that will help: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...pid-49302.html

If you need to replace your Converter, upgrade it to a Progressive Dynamics unit. Much better.

Hopefully the air conditioners weren't on at the time. Was water heater or fridge on electric?
Thanks much Barry for the constructive post, I am pretty sure every thing was off. I had our baby in my arms when she plugged in, I heard popping coming from the microwave and ran outside to unplug the cord.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Anacortesians

There may be additional damage to control boards, etc. Many modern appliances have 12Vdc on all the time to keep the various control functions ready for use. You really won't know for sure until you start trying to use things.

Friend with a 28' TT ended up with a $1200 bill after they did the same and nothing was actually switched on when the plug went in.

If the outlet is not at a recognised RV place, there's a good chance it's wired for the kind of circuit residential clothes dryers use. The sockets are almost identical and the higher voltage on will take a TT-30 plug. I have a couple of dog-bone adapters. One goes from the TT-30 size to a residential 115 female outlet. If I have any doubts, I'll check the 15A side with a DVM to make sure.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

After reading all these posts...I'm a little nervous...we where at the track over the weekend and our generator output switch got changed to 208/120.....the micro was on, but it immediately shut down and the breaker on the generator tripped. I assume this could still have done some damage. So I guess I'm kinda in the same boat as everyone...where can a guy get info on checking the microwave, finding and checking the inverter, and any thing else that might need checking. I don't remember any of the breakers in the trailer actually tripping...so I'm hoping the main on the generator may have saved the trailer? Maybe? Just trying to be optimistic here....lol. BTW...it's a 2004 Work And Play toy hauler.....
aldejoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Man, I hate to read these stories. It's just one of those live and learn things, and it can all be fixed.

Usually when this happens, you lose the converter, microwave, and television if equipped. Sometimes the microwave and tv will have an internal fuse that blows before real damage, but this is rare.

As other suggested, depending on the type of converter you have, this can be an opportunity to get a better one when replacing.

Great things about these forums here, is you can find the answers to fixing all that was damaged........as well as learning how to prevent if from happening again.

Good luck.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #12

I'm with ya...it's painful to read...and experience. So, where are the inverters on these? And how would a guy go about testing it? That and the microwave? I assume the micro and the inverter would have to be removed to be thoroughly tested??? Ours does not have a TV yet, so I feel fortunate about that, and the fridge, water heater, furnace, and water pump continued to run the rest of the day on battery power.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldejoria View Post
I'm with ya...it's painful to read...and experience. So, where are the inverters on these? And how would a guy go about testing it? That and the microwave? I assume the micro and the inverter would have to be removed to be thoroughly tested??? Ours does not have a TV yet, so I feel fortunate about that, and the fridge, water heater, furnace, and water pump continued to run the rest of the day on battery power.
I know what you mean, but the correct terminology is converter. A converter converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC.

The converter should be near the bottom of where your breaker box is.

An inverter does the opposite function and inverts 12 volt DC (battery power) to 120 volt AC. Most trailers don't have an inverter, but coaches can.

This link may help explain all the confusing terminology as well as the functions of it all. Converters/inverters are explained about 3/4ths down in the link below.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #14

You are totally right....sorry about that...I guess I had that on my mind and kept typing it...lol...dang.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaCamperATVfun View Post
Forest River
Wildwood LA, T27
Travel Trailer

So some how we managed to plug into a 208v supply. I did some tests and found the 120v side to be fine other then the microwave getting fried (I think), I am getting around 2v on the load sides of the low voltage load sides. So I am guessing the converter/charger is shot? I tested all fuses on the front they are fine. It seems the battery is not getting charge any more also. Im guessing we are not the first to make this mistake so if anyone knows what usually pops first, perhaps a fuse I am not seeing or something. If you think it is the converter/charger might you know what I should get to replace it, I don't mind going with a upgrade either. THANK YOU FOR READING!
A progressive industries surge/voltage guard will prevent this in the future.

I recommend!

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #16

That is a really nice looking unit...I guess that's the next step......thanks everyone, this all very good info. Now all I have to do is figure out how to disable that damn switch on the generator....
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Denver, CO

The way to check things is to use them. Microwave and TV is obvious, it no workee or it does. Fridge also, if the 12volt control board is ok, it will still work on Propane.

You should have 110 volts on both sides of the distribution center. I don't see why you would not and that has nothing to do with the converter. The converter you check by plugging the camper in and check voltage at the battery, which should be in the 13.2-13.7 range if the batteries are charged up. If it is at 12.8 or below, the converter is shot. Just go through your systems one by one.

Let us know what you find out, or if you have anymore???
Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

I truly appreciate the help. I hope to look at it in the next couple of days...I'll post what I find......
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldejoria View Post
I truly appreciate the help. I hope to look at it in the next couple of days...I'll post what I find......
Any progress on this ?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #20

Unfortunately, I've had to put off checking into it. It will probably bee the next week or two before I can really get into it. I'm anxious, though...and will post anything I find....good or bad, lol....on the forum. I appreciate all the info everyone volunteers, and I'd like to support that with my own info. I'll try and get some pics up as well.