Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Both backup batteries dead.

Hi guys. Have a 2016 Leprechaun 320BH. I have the two interstate's under the door as you step in the coach. Noticing lately they have been dropping down one light on my panel when I check the levels. Main switch is always off. Now they are both dead. Switch was left on once and I ran the gen to charge back up, showed as if they were good after some time. Also put the slow charger on them. But not holding. I do notice the C02 alarm triggering I believe when the batteries are running low even with the main switch off. I head the beeps from outside. I disconnected one cable and the c02 alarm powered down. I don't think that would drain my batteries. Am I sitting on two dead batteries that are about 2 years old or am I missing a step? Was thinking of ousting two new marine gel batteries in. Thanks in advance friends for any guidance you can offer.
Craig. Florida.
motorosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have a 12 volt test light? Disconnect neg cables and hook test light to cable and use probe to touch neg terminal on battery, one at a time...light on? You have a draw .....try to isolate by turning circuit breakers off and pulling fuses one at a time....when light turns off, you've found the circuit...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

More questions than answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorosi View Post
Hi guys. Have a 2016 Leprechaun 320BH. I have the two interstate's under the door as you step in the coach. Noticing lately they have been dropping down one light on my panel when I check the levels. Main switch is always off. Now they are both dead. Switch was left on once and I ran the gen to charge back up, showed as if they were good after some time. Also put the slow charger on them. But not holding. I do notice the C02 alarm triggering I believe when the batteries are running low even with the main switch off. I head the beeps from outside. I disconnected one cable and the c02 alarm powered down. I don't think that would drain my batteries. Am I sitting on two dead batteries that are about 2 years old or am I missing a step? Was thinking of ousting two new marine gel batteries in. Thanks in advance friends for any guidance you can offer.
Craig. Florida.
Over what period of time are they going dead?
I assume that these are wet cells and that you have been maintaining the water levels?
You say you put a "slow charger" on, how slow is slow and how long was it on?
Finally, and this will be the kicker, how dead is dead?

rod
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

With just a .5 amp parasitic draw from monitors etc (which is about normal) would amount to a 120 AH draw in ten days. I bet the two "interstates" together have about 180 AH total (fully charged). That would mean that (2) fully charged batteries would be brought down to about 30% state of charge. Running a "slow charger" for 4 hours will not come anywhere close to recharging the batteries to 100%.
Also don't bother clicking off circuit breakers to check the draw, they are just for 120 AC circuits.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Have a 12 volt test light? Disconnect neg cables and hook test light to cable and use probe to touch neg terminal on battery, one at a time...light on? You have a draw .....try to isolate by turning circuit breakers off and pulling fuses one at a time....when light turns off, you've found the circuit...
Thanks. I will do that soon as I get home. Been a while for me. I use to be good at narrowing down these problems. Will update!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrod View Post
Over what period of time are they going dead?
I assume that these are wet cells and that you have been maintaining the water levels?
You say you put a "slow charger" on, how slow is slow and how long was it on?
Finally, and this will be the kicker, how dead is dead?

rod
I would say I let her sit about 10 days. Main off. All loved up at my home. Now prior to that, I had a day my wife left the main switch on over night. Naturally. So I ran the gen for an hour. After put the 12V charger on each battery for about 4hrs each separately. Terminals disconnected. She was good for about a day, then I turned in the main and I seen the levels down one red light. Then within the next 48 hrs completely dead. No levels. Not even power to push the awning. I knew it was low cause I heard that C02 beeping away. I guess that runs (monitors) even with the main off. I did add water the day I ran the gen and after the charger prior to see if I could get lucky and hold the charge. I went through the coach with the main switch off turning on all my switches outlets trying to get power out of anything to see if I have a current draw but nothing. I would hate to buy two new gel batteries and have them die on me cause of a current draw. Then again could be old batteries. Only about 2 years. Interstate's.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Craig, I'm not sure if you read my post or not, but I don't think you have a major problem. Just uncharged batteries and the usual parasitic draw.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting

Old 12-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

IMO Interstate batteries are not very good. I had them in past and now have them in my new 2017 Rockwood.. and having nothing but problems with them.. I have charged them for a couple of days using the converter, then check them with a "Hydrometer" (inexpensive at any auto part store to check the amount of charge in each "Cell".) and they only checked half charged.. Took them back to the dealer and they charged them again for about a week and said they were OK... I don't believe them..A good battery should come up to Full Charge in a matter of hours if not fully discharged.. Had Trojan brand in my last RV and they worked Great.. ( two 6 Volt Gold Cart batteries wired in series).. No more Interstate Batteries for me..
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Craig, I'm not sure if you read my post or not, but I don't think you have a major problem. Just uncharged batteries and the usual parasitic draw.
Hi,

I popped the caps - noticed the levels low - i topped off each with water - not all the way. I can run the gen and have the panel show the batteries are fully charged, turn master off - a day later i check - down 1 red light on the battery levels, let wait another 3-4 days - all dead - no levels. Ive left this MH parked for a month and never had mty batteries fail - i havent added any toys either. This all started after the main switch was left on twice by the wife overnight I just put the charger back on one battery - 12V obviously, what do you advise on the setting, 2A or 6A? Thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
IMO Interstate batteries are not very good. I had them in past and now have them in my new 2017 Rockwood.. and having nothing but problems with them.. I have charged them for a couple of days using the converter, then check them with a "Hydrometer" (inexpensive at any auto part store to check the amount of charge in each "Cell".) and they only checked half charged.. Took them back to the dealer and they charged them again for about a week and said they were OK... I don't believe them..A good battery should come up to Full Charge in a matter of hours if not fully discharged.. Had Trojan brand in my last RV and they worked Great.. ( two 6 Volt Gold Cart batteries wired in series).. No more Interstate Batteries for me..
I agree, i was thinking about that, or even the 12V marine gel batteries. I very rarely even use them - im on the 120v or the gen power. - Seems like when the main switch was left on - then they havent recovered from a charge.. lol

I have them out now, charging one at a time - my weekend detail..
Old 12-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

Set your charger for 6 amp and let it run for a full 24-36 hours.
When the generator is running the panel will show full charge even though the batteries are not fully charged, it is showing the voltage from the converter.

2007 Surveyor SV230

Old 12-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #12

Interstate's are fine for your car, not so food for an RV. With any battery always check the 'in service date.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Left Coast

Costco supplied mine....
Old 12-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
When the generator is running the panel will show full charge even though the batteries are not fully charged, it is showing the voltage from the converter.
Okay, its connected, one battery at a time.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
I tried to attach a pic, no luck - you can tell how new i am to this. I had better luck when i was on the front line years ago! lol
Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #16
Left Coast

Install Tapatalk app....makes it really easy to post pics, and the app is free
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #17
Left Coast

I still can't post pics from desktop.....don't use it take pics anyway!....lol
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Install Tapatalk app....makes it really easy to post pics, and the app is free

I was trying from my desktop, let me try from the cellular - I need to also upload all my images and data, toys etc

Thank you, Sir!
Old 12-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
Left Coast

Only thing that makes you a jr, is amount of posts...senior at 100 posts
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Only thing that makes you a jr, is amount of posts...senior at 100 posts
Lol, and i have about 100 questions too. Your going to laugh at this, from dropping the grey/black tanks - fresh water tanks. I just picked this up and took off - used for 11 months - I need to learn how to flush and keep clean the fresh water tanks, drop the grey or black first, this is a circus, lol - i know your kicked back with a beer laughing LOL