Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

Brand new 2306, no 120v-something Im missing?

Hi! I picked up my new Mini Lite 2306 a couple days ago and was very happy with the way my 2001 4.8 Tundra towed it. The dealer even had a full tank of fresh water in the tank. The weight distribution system and anti sway made it less than the white knuckle ride I was expecting. Going up the only moderately steep hill between dealer and home the Tundra dropped down a gear and stayed at a steady speed. I dont think thats going to happen on some steeper hills, but I can live with that.
I finally got a day off to check out everything. I plugged a radio into an outlet and after about an hour the power abruptly cut off. At this point I have verified the breakers are on and not in a "tripped "state. The power is indeed present at the power cable going into the trailer as I confirmed with a dvm. Am I missing something or is there maybe a hard problem with the electrical/converter box.?The battery power system is fine. Just no AC. Any Thank you ahead of time!
Stov
Stovocor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Check to make sure the GFCI didn't trip. It'll probably be on the outlet in the bathroom and it may take all the outlets with it. Also, if you didn't, flip the breakers all the way off and then on again. Sometimes it doesn't look like they tripped.

And....is it just the outlets (the AC runs)?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Also note that there is normally a main breaker and then a separate breaker for each circuit. Either of those tripping will cause no power.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #4

I've been pulling a mini-lite ETC 181 with a 2002 Tundra 4.7L. Hint: Make sure you tow with the transmission with OD off. The early Tundra had a weakness in the transmission. Enjoy your 2306.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Hi! thanks for the quick replies. I did verify the breakers were not in a tripped position. (about 82 times now). The lights to Microwave are not present. I tried the AC with no luck there - The TV doesnt come on. Only the battery power items will function. When I pull the battery disconnect switch, there is nothing! I pressed on the main gfi in bathroom, still nothing. I am thinking this gfi would not affect the Microwave or AC though.
Stov
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovocor View Post
Hi! thanks for the quick replies. I did verify the breakers were not in a tripped position. (about 82 times now). The lights to Microwave are not present. I tried the AC with no luck there - The TV doesnt come on. Only the battery power items will function. When I pull the battery disconnect switch, there is nothing! I pressed on the main gfi in bathroom, still nothing. I am thinking this gfi would not affect the Microwave or AC though.
Stov
and you have the trailer plugged into shore power? and the outlet it's plugged into should NOT be a GFI outlet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

Hey Bikendan! Thx for the help - Yes, I have it plugged into the house 120vac outside outlet. I have a digital volt meter and verified power at the plug going into the trailer recepticle.
Stov.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Have you also checked that the 30A main breaker in the camper's panel isn't tripped?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #9

If you are comfortable with checking the panel for power. These are the steps to do it safety.
Disconnect the shore power

Remove panel cover

Place leads of volt meter on main wires in the panel, you should be able to push them in a crack of the lugs that hold the wire.

Connect shore power then look at meter from a safe distance to see if you have power (to work within 6 inches of the panel you should have arc flash gear on to be 100% safe)

If power is there problem is in panel or in the wiring leaving the panel. If now power then the problem is in the wiring feeding between shore connection and panel. Once this is determined you can check for loose wiring ( make sure you are disconnected from shore power before checking for loose wiring)

Hope this will help you narrow down where the problem is.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #10

Question? On my unit there is a 30 amp main breaker. When I turn it on after I have connected shore power my converter beeps and I can hear the converter cooling fan turn on and any 12 volt lights get a little brighter. Do you experience this? If no, maybe you have a disconnect between your shore power and the panel.

Arc flash gear? I don't think most of us have this and I have never heard of it but then again I never worked for the power company. My recommendation is if you are not sure about working with 120 vac maybe you should not be within 10 feet of it

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Question? On my unit there is a 30 amp main breaker. When I turn it on after I have connected shore power my converter beeps and I can hear the converter cooling fan turn on and any 12 volt lights get a little brighter. Do you experience this? If no, maybe you have a disconnect between your shore power and the panel.

Arc flash gear? I don't think most of us have this and I have never heard of it but then again I never worked for the power company. My recommendation is if you are not sure about working with 120 vac maybe you should not be within 10 feet of it
You bring up a great point on the dc lights getting Brite and is much safer than taking the panel cover off. That would determine if the panel is getting power.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
You bring up a great point on the dc lights getting Brite and is much safer than taking the panel cover off. That would determine if the panel is getting power.
RW, do you work for a power company? I can remember watching a lineman replace a fuse to a big transformer. When he threw the fuse in place ( a metal pipe with a big wire inside between two insulators) there was a big explosion, wherein he yelled, "Bad transformer." I went inside to clean my pants..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I plugged a radio into an outlet and after about an hour the power abruptly cut off. At this point I have verified the breakers are on and not in a "tripped "state. The power is indeed present at the power cable going into the trailer as I confirmed with a dvm.
Do you have a detachable power cable to your RV? If so, When you say you checked the power with a digital volt meter at the power cable, are you referring to the outlet on your house, or the cable after it is plugged into the outlet and before it plugs into the trailer. The reason I ask, is it's possible you may have something shorted in the power cable itself. On these detachable power cords, if you don't do the final twist correct, you can get arcing on the tabs, and thus burn out an end either on the power cord or trailers 120 volt inlet.

If you do have a detachable cord, I would plug it into the house outlet, but not connect the other end to the trailer..............then test the cord to make sure power is going all the way thru it. I would also advise to look at the tabs, both on the power cord and your RV's inlet to observe signs to see if they are broken, bent or burnt.

Quote:
Hi! thanks for the quick replies. I did verify the breakers were not in a tripped position. (about 82 times now). The lights to Microwave are not present. I tried the AC with no luck there -
Quote:
Hey Bikendan! Thx for the help - Yes, I have it plugged into the house 120vac outside outlet. I have a digital volt meter and verified power at the plug going into the trailer recepticle.
Stov.
This outlet at your house you are referring to, is it just a standard outlet, as the rest in your house...........and thus you are using an adapter to plug your trailers power cord into, so you can plug it into your house? If so, this adapter can be bad. As stated above, if you haven't already and have a detachable RV power cord, can you check to make sure the cord has power all the way up to the point where it attaches to the RV.

Another problem we sometimes see, is when members use extension cords, to plug their RV's power cord into, to get enough length to reach the house outlet. The extension cord can be the problem a lot of times. Are you using any kind of extension cord?

One more question. Are you using any kind of surge protector (either hard wired or at the power cable? A surge protector can kill the power to the RV if it senses something wrong.

Just a friendly tidbit, for when you do find the problem. If you are using an adapter to plug into a regular household outlet at your house, your house outlet is probably rated for only 15-20 amps. You do NOT want to run your Air Conditioner on your RV when plugged into only a 15-20 amp outlet, as it can damage it.

I hope you get your problem figured out and solved. You stated it was a brand new trailer and thus under warranty. Is the dealer a long distance away?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Since I don't recall seeing it; Tripped breakers may not LOOK tripped even though they are. Try turning them OFF; then back ON.

You can not just turn a tripped breaker back to ON without going to OFF first.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post

RW, do you work for a power company? I can remember watching a lineman replace a fuse to a big transformer. When he threw the fuse in place ( a metal pipe with a big wire inside between two insulators) there was a big explosion, wherein he yelled, "Bad transformer." I went inside to clean my pants..
No just a normal electrician. Been working in data center maintenence since 06
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #16

All, ITS FIXED!! I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate this forum. Very helpful and professional. I was getting ready to tow the trailer to the dealer yesterday for warranty repair. When I began unhooking the main big power cable from the trailer recepticle, I heard the microwave beep! Power!! I found that the cable has a bad spot in the locked position. I plan on returning the power cord to dealer for replacement.
Once again thanks for the tips. Looking forward to future camping trips!
Stov
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #17

Score another one for wmtire, glad you found it and happy camping.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
All, ITS FIXED!! I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate this forum. Very helpful and professional. I was getting ready to tow the trailer to the dealer yesterday for warranty repair. When I began unhooking the main big power cable from the trailer recepticle, I heard the microwave beep! Power!! I found that the cable has a bad spot in the locked position. I plan on returning the power cord to dealer for replacement.
Once again thanks for the tips. Looking forward to future camping trips!
Stov
One more tip.

ALWAYS open the breaker in the shore power pedestal or the main breaker in the camper before hooking up the shore power cord.

If there is a demand on the shore power at plug in (AC left on, battery low, etc.), the power will arc at the pins causing a high resistance burn at the connectors.

This high resistance causes heat which can burn up the plug and/or socket.

ALWAYS make sure it is also rotated to the right to lock the plug at the camper to make the connection waterproof and solid with no looseness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-1-12007.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	43144   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-1-12008.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	43145  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags