Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #1

Break away

Hello Guys and Gals
So one of the things id like to do to my bran new Sonoma 167rb travel trailer is to reroute the wires for my trailer breakaway pin. So what they did at the factory is instead of bringing the two wires for the breakaway thru the existing hole in the frame that all the other wires from the battery and the solar panel go thru, they just put them under the cross frame of the A frame and then along the A frame to the pull pin. I guess they wanted to save on 3-4 inches of wire since the hole in the frame is right next door. My concern is that those two wires, black and orange in my case, will get snagged on something or will rub along the bottom of the frame and short out. They are very exposed. So, can I just disconnect the 12v battery completely and then disconnect the wires at the electrical box panel and feed them thu the hole in the frame and then reconnect or is there something I should be concerned about. I guess I fear that the brakes may lock up on me when I disconnect the wire and I wont be able to disengage them. This is my first trailer with brakes so go easy on me I am still learning how they work. I did find out today that even if I use my main battery disconnect to off, there is still voltage going to the breakaway pin. I followed the battery positive wire and it does bypass the main disconnect, so that's why I am thinking ill have to just disconnect at the battery myself before working on it. I read that trailers have a small battery designated for just the brake away, If my Sonoma does, I cant find where they hid it.
Sonoma Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Disconnect from the battery and reroute. The brakes are activated by the battery.
No battery, no brakes.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma Sam View Post
Hello Guys and Gals
So one of the things id like to do to my bran new Sonoma 167rb travel trailer is to reroute the wires for my trailer breakaway pin. So what they did at the factory is instead of bringing the two wires for the breakaway thru the existing hole in the frame that all the other wires from the battery and the solar panel go thru, they just put them under the cross frame of the A frame and then along the A frame to the pull pin. I guess they wanted to save on 3-4 inches of wire since the hole in the frame is right next door. My concern is that those two wires, black and orange in my case, will get snagged on something or will rub along the bottom of the frame and short out. They are very exposed. So, can I just disconnect the 12v battery completely and then disconnect the wires at the electrical box panel and feed them thu the hole in the frame and then reconnect or is there something I should be concerned about. I guess I fear that the brakes may lock up on me when I disconnect the wire and I wont be able to disengage them. This is my first trailer with brakes so go easy on me I am still learning how they work. I did find out today that even if I use my main battery disconnect to off, there is still voltage going to the breakaway pin. I followed the battery positive wire and it does bypass the main disconnect, so that's why I am thinking ill have to just disconnect at the battery myself before working on it. I read that trailers have a small battery designated for just the brake away, If my Sonoma does, I cant find where they hid it.

There isn't a small battery. The battery that is on the front is the one that operates the break-a-way switch. It is a law that trailers over 3000# need brakes and a way to operate them in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV.

I don't understand how surge brakes get around the law as if the trailer and tv become uncoupled there is no way to stop the trailer.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #4

My boat trailer surge brakes have a cable that pulls the brakes on to a locked position if unhitched
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
There isn't a small battery. The battery that is on the front is the one that operates the break-a-way switch. It is a law that trailers over 3000# need brakes and a way to operate them in case the trailer becomes disconnected from the TV.

I don't understand how surge brakes get around the law as if the trailer and tv become uncoupled there is no way to stop the trailer.
Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that there may be a smaller designated battery somewhere in the trailer that is for the brakes only. Ive seen those for sale along with a battery case. Anyway its good to know as i had plans to take out my battery while at the storage facility, and then tow the trailer back home to install the battery a few days before camping trip. So now i know that if i do, what your saying is i wont have the breakaway function and i wont be legal either.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20loo View Post
My boat trailer surge brakes have a cable that pulls the brakes on to a locked position if unhitched
His 12v breakaway brake switch tells us he doesn't have a surge brake set-up.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Utility and flat bed trailers that do not normally have a larger 12V battery for appliances etc do have a small 12V battery for their break-away system. Since RVs already have a 12V system battery already a second small one is not required.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoma Sam View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was concerned that there may be a smaller designated battery somewhere in the trailer that is for the brakes only. Ive seen those for sale along with a battery case. Anyway its good to know as i had plans to take out my battery while at the storage facility, and then tow the trailer back home to install the battery a few days before camping trip. So now i know that if i do, what your saying is i wont have the breakaway function and i wont be legal either.
Correct, you need the battery installed for the trailer brakes to work. I pull my battery while in storage as well, but I take it with me and reinstall when picking up my TT.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Just thinking about it and be sure that you're not connected to shore power when you're working on the breakaway switch, as the converter/charger will still apply power to the switch even with the battery disconnected.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

You guys Rock, thanks for the help. That is my project for tonight, should be a quick change and will make things look and function better i think.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Just thinking about it and be sure that you're not connected to shore power when you're working on the breakaway switch, as the converter/charger will still apply power to the switch even with the battery disconnected.
Yes thanks for that tip, Since it will be dark by the time i start working on it tonight, i might have done that. Lucky i guess, the storage facility i have does not have a place where i can plug in so ill be using some good old flashlights if needed. I should be done in no time, just a matter of undoing two screws and routing the wires thur the existing hole in the frame and then reattaching the to the screws. My storage facility lets me tinker with the trailer as long as its not a major overhaul project.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A very good tip.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #13

wire reroute project

Well the reroute wire project went very smoothly. Thanks all for the help, It looks and I am sure will perform lots better. I wish i could say it looks like it was factory done, but I am rapidly learning that in the RV industry saying that it looks factory done is not a compliment. Thank you for the advise/suggestions, always more conferting to do a project when you have more information about what your doing