Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I noticed at this years International Rally, FR is using a different connector on some rigs. Replacing the twist-lock connector with a straight push in similar to the Smart Plug. I couldn't tell if the blades were larger as they are on the Smart Plug brand products.

When/if I replace my connector setup, I will use a Smart Plug or something similar. I think it is way too easy to not properly connect using a twist/lock connector.
https://smartplug.com/rv/
This is the connector they are using.
There was a discussion on it a month or so ago.

Nothing more than a 30a connector with a threaded locking ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_rv_shore_connection.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	219942  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
NXR

One point I did not see mentioned is that an EMS only protects against certain types of problems: high voltage, low voltage, open neutral, incorrect pedestal wiring, etc.

The high resistance connection in the plug (higher than zero resistance) actually limited the total amount of current being drawn. It generated a lot of heat but the amount of amps flowing through the damaged/inadequate connection was lower than it otherwise would be. As long as two of the wires in the plug did not touch then the breakers would not trip in this condition.

Ray
Old 11-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is the connector they are using.
There was a discussion on it a month or so ago.

Nothing more than a 30a connector with a threaded locking ring.
I can see the benefit to this style. Even if the blades aren't significantly larger than the ones on the twist lock type, not having to twist them insures a better connection than if the twist lock i

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I can see the benefit to this style. Even if the blades aren't significantly larger than the ones on the twist lock type, not having to twist them insures a better connection than if the twist lock i
Everyone touts the greatness of the Smart Plug but no one seems to think about the fact that both the Twist Lock and the Smart Plug have the exact same connections on the back side that sometimes caused the problem in the first place. loose screws. Smart Plug is not the all time savior. Twist lock has been the standard for MANY years and will work just fine if properly installed. Given enough time the Smart Plug will also have it's share of failures.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #25
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Everyone touts the greatness of the Smart Plug but no one seems to think about the fact that both the Twist Lock and the Smart Plug have the exact same connections on the back side that sometimes caused the problem in the first place. loose screws. Smart Plug is not the all time savior. Twist lock has been the standard for MANY years and will work just fine if properly installed. Given enough time the Smart Plug will also have it's share of failures.

This is exactly true. The more I think about it, I’m leaning towards the $50 breakers. My life is worth an extra few hundred dollars.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ... to all those who celebrate this.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You hit on two problems with the twist lock type. If properly installed and properly used.

Yes, the smart plug uses same connectors on back but as I see it, once properly installed it is easier for most to use properly.

I've used t wss ist locks for years in numerous applications and have no plans to change on my trailer. I do see that the smart plug could be a lot easier to connect in the dark however. Matching the "L" shaped connection in the dark, maybe with rain included, can be frustrating at times.

As for the screws on back, if properly tightened i can't see any difference.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've had the SmartPlug since August 2018 and it's been great.

Installation video:

So what is the advantage of the smart plug?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
A straight plug in rather than having to find the correct position in the dark with rain running down your neck.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #29
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Since our OEM power cord burned, we had to buy a new one. I don’t know the brand, sorry, but it is luxurious. Very flexible and the plug is holster shaped. It’s easy to do the twist in plug anytime but if you didn’t, the holster shape would be off center and would be noticeable right away. And easier to unplug. I wish we had bought this right away. $100 at Camping World for 30 amp cord.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #30

Quote:
From their advertising:
1. Blades and receptacle are larger resulting in a bigger contact surface and lower resistance.
2. Audible and tactile feedback that the connection is secure (you can hear and feel it click/lock in place).
3. Lower possibility of human error.
4. Easier to attach - just push on like any other plug.
5. Easier to detach - no locking ring to jam.
6. No locking ring to break. Yes, I've seen a couple of trailers hooked up without one. I also wonder if there are people who don't bother to use the ring even if it's there.
7. The connection is water tight.

While the standard connector has been used on trailers for years, it was not designed for this purpose. It was designed to connect machines in factories. Where generally, the connection was made once and left connected for years.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
From their advertising:
1. Blades and receptacle are larger resulting in a bigger contact surface and lower resistance.
2. Audible and tactile feedback that the connection is secure (you can hear and feel it click/lock in place).
3. Lower possibility of human error.
4. Easier to attach - just push on like any other plug.
5. Easier to detach - no locking ring to jam.
6. No locking ring to break. Yes, I've seen a couple of trailers hooked up without one. I also wonder if there are people who don't bother to use the ring even if it's there.
7. The connection is water tight.

While the standard connector has been used on trailers for years, it was not designed for this purpose. It was designed to connect machines in factories. Where generally, the connection was made once and left connected for years.
8. Given all of the above, I can have my daughter connect and disconnect the power cord. (Which also led us to forgetting it at a campground once because the cord was too heavy for her to carry it any distance... ie to the truck.)

That’s the biggest negative. If you forget your cord, you can’t just buy a replacement at any RV store.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #32

But then can you buy a Smart Plug at the RV store?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen them, but I also have only shopped for them online.

We got lucky, I wired up my batteries and inverter that night. Then ran extension cords to windows where we ran fans. Luckily, friends were driving by our site after we left and noticed the cord. Other friends had gone to a concert where the campground was and were able to grab the cord for us. We were without power for only about a day (maybe 2). It was hot, though. We went to the pool to cool off.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I've only seen them online.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
8. Given all of the above, I can have my daughter connect and disconnect the power cord. (Which also led us to forgetting it at a campground once because the cord was too heavy for her to carry it any distance... ie to the truck.)

That’s the biggest negative. If you forget your cord, you can’t just buy a replacement at any RV store.
I have a pre-departure check which includes looking in every storage compartment and the back of my truck. If I find any empty space I go looking for what is supposed to be there. Both the curse and benefit of having very little space in either TT or TV. "Empty" fills up quick and becomes very obvious if something's missing.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #36

Arcing. Loose connection. Have had it happen many times with plug in headlight bulbs. Voltage drop causes higher amp draw. Try using some silicone dielectric grease on the connectors. Helps to dissipate the heat. Works on bulbs.
Had the same thing happen when 1 of the lugs in a meter base got loose because of corrosion or the aluminum cable used by the energy company.
OLEJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've only seen them online.

You might find them at a marine store. My understanding is that they were originally marketed to boaters...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 AM   #38

I'm in industrial maintenance and that is a typical instance of a loose connection, high resistance, overheating. Wasn't properly tightened at assembly. Increased resistance= increased heat.
tlhigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #39

Arching

Power off at the pedestal before plugging in. Otherwise you get carbon buildup and corrosion at the plug of initial contact. It’s the cause of many boat fires in marinas.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #40

I suspect that installing arc fault breakers in the TT fuse box would not have affected this issue. Because the fault was at the plug where power comes into the trailer, the breakers would be downstream, and unable to detect any arc. It seems to me it would have been necessary to have arc fault breakers at the campground power pedestal. Good luck getting the campground to take on this expense. This then assumes that there was arcing, not just high resistance. High resistance will create heat but will not be detected by an arc fault breaker.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power