Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
With more and more new competition in the Inverter Generator field, consumers have a lot more affordable choices.

Credit Champion for this trend. Their additions of the inverter 3100/3400/3500w generators have really given Honda and Yamaha some thing to worry about.
Unfortunately it hasn't seem to affected their prices.

But other companies are following Champion's lead.
Previous competitors, like Boliy and Kipor, failed to penetrate the market like Champion has.
Boliy and Kipor dealers are far and few between but Champion is carried by a lot of well known retailers, such as CW and Cabelas.

Probably the reason Honda's still sell well is they are quieter, can support their rated output and have a legendary reputation.

Although others are quiet, the decibel game is played by many. The distance at which noise is measured is important and can be deceiving if not listed. Also, it has been proven the Honda's don't skip a beat when outputting their rated output... and others do.

Granted, these price differentials may not justify these slight differences to some... but to others they are.

No big deal though. There are products for everyone! Competition is definitely good!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

For those who hate moving the things... Last year I made a pigtail cord and I now leave the genies in the bed running. Never need to lift them out anymore. Going to fab a foam vibration thingy this summer to take out the bit of vibration is passes down the trailer.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #23

Adjustment for changes altidude

Over heard the conversation between a upset customer a
service guy in a B I G B O X RV store. The unit they sold him requires a factory trained person to adjust the air/fuel mixture when the unit is to be operated in a substantially different altitude than the previous use.
While I do not have a generator, that would be a major concern.
Is there a brand/model the is easy to adjust?
lengercce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Was at Cabela's two weeks ago.
They had stack of about 10 unopened boxes with brand new Champion 4000 watt open frame contractor type generators on sale there for $199. I'd say the the inverters are winning out.
$199 at Cabelas and 175 everywhere else.....

The only thing inexpensive at Cabelas is the parking.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lengercce View Post
Over heard the conversation between a upset customer a
service guy in a B I G B O X RV store. The unit they sold him requires a factory trained person to adjust the air/fuel mixture when the unit is to be operated in a substantially different altitude than the previous use.
While I do not have a generator, that would be a major concern.
Is there a brand/model the is easy to adjust?
If you are at all mechanically inclined, a main jet change is a 5 minute job.

If you are not, better stick to a campground and shore power.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #26

I went down this road 6 months ago. I bought a champion dual fuel model 100263.

Ended up with this model due to calling tech support and guy that answered knew his stuff. Gave me specs I wanted about what was required to run it on propane.

It will run right off the quick disconnect low pressure fitting on our trailers. And it will run the AC and converter at the same time while on propane. All I did was extend the propane hose so it can stay in my bed. Very happy. Just wish it had a factory hour meter and remote start. Remote start is not available with dual fuel. Only gasoline only
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I went down this road 6 months ago. I bought a champion dual fuel model 100263.

Ended up with this model due to calling tech support and guy that answered knew his stuff. Gave me specs I wanted about what was required to run it on propane.

It will run right off the quick disconnect low pressure fitting on our trailers. And it will run the AC and converter at the same time while on propane. All I did was extend the propane hose so it can stay in my bed. Very happy. Just wish it had a factory hour meter and remote start. Remote start is not available with dual fuel. Only gasoline only
You'll find that running on propane all the time, your engine oil won't get dirty very fast because propane don't cause the carbon crap that gas does.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You'll find that running on propane all the time, your engine oil won't get dirty very fast because propane don't cause the carbon crap that gas does.
You will also be amazed at how MUCH propane is used while your genny puts out less. There is a reason why all those folks with onboard generators that use propane usually also carry a gas portable. But your easily changed oil will be cleaner
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You will also be amazed at how MUCH propane is used while your genny puts out less. There is a reason why all those folks with onboard generators that use propane usually also carry a gas portable. But your easily changed oil will be cleaner
I was actually surprised at how little it used. Now I only ran it maybe 4 hours during the day for AC. At night it's great with windows open.

It may be that I expected it to kill my propane tanks, and it didn't. Have 2 30 pound tanks and am on the same one still. I'm sure it will eat propane, but it can run the AC on eco so that has to help.

I still always have gasoline with me as I have a toy hauler and have gas for the detailed.

I'll have to watch the propane consumption and report back
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I'll have to watch the propane consumption and report back
Or just google it. We boondock most of the time. All our friends with propane onboards always hauled a 100lb propane tank along to make it through a week during the winter. They all grew tired of hauling it around and bought 2000 watt portables. Just my experience.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #31

Just my 2 cents....

I just bought this Champion:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3100 starting watts 2800 continuous.

I have 30' Toy Hauler with 13.5 btu AC.

I tested the unit generator in ECONOMY MODE (i.e. a lot quieter) and the AC started and ran fine. Now, you may not be able to use anything else like the microwave or coffee pot.

This unit is remote start also... I know I know I'm lazy...

Mel
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mele View Post
I just bought this Champion:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3100 starting watts 2800 continuous.

I have 30' Toy Hauler with 13.5 btu AC.

I tested the unit generator in ECONOMY MODE (i.e. a lot quieter) and the AC started and ran fine. Now, you may not be able to use anything else like the microwave or coffee pot.

This unit is remote start also... I know I know I'm lazy...

Mel
I just bought a 3400W version, no electric or remote start though. I would have loved to get a 2000W Honda or Yamaha, but I wanted 1 generator and it needs to be able to run the a/c. I'll post a review at somepoint, but all reviews for those Champions seem to be pretty good.
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Get a QUALITY Champion and keep the extra cash for important stuff like beer.
I second this, I have a champ around a decade old still running like a CHAMP!
Also had the twins. A set of 2000w units with parallel kit. Flawless for three years. Switched to dual fuel for the benefits of propane. (See post below)
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to B and B
If you want a generator to run at altitude buy a Powerhouse 4 kW Fuel Injected Generator. Works great, starts everytime!! No choke or fuel system valve to worry about.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

While they did not test a champion.. If you search longlong honey moon on YouTube they just did a sound test comparing the Yamaha to the Briggs and Stratton 3400 and 2000 invertor genis. While the Yamaha WAS quieter it was only by 3 decimals. Not able to be found to be louder to the ear of the tester.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #36

The dual/fuel 3400 is my choice. The propane engine will compensate for altitude. Run it off the RV auto switch over propane and you have extended run.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #37

I have the Champion 3100 with remote start too, I love it! The remote start is awesome! I have a 15k AC unit and it starts it just fine. I pop the breaker for the fridge so it just runs off of propane. I can run the AC and everything else while the AC is running. Wont run the microwave of course, did not even try. As long as I can run the converter to charge the batterys and the AC at the same time, I am good. You can get a high altitude jet, which I did put in it. I camp at 10000 feet and have no issues.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #38

My Champion has been sitting in the cold barn all winter (since November here in Michigan) and today I got it out and started it. I did put Marine Stabil in the fuel (non-ethanol regular gasoline), I can buy non e-gas here, a bit more expensive but worth it.

Anyway, got it out, got it in the shop, it's COLD here, turned on the fuel valve, set the choke and 2 pulls and it was humming along. Warmed it up and put it on economy and let it run for 1/2 hour. I sure like the Champion, worth every bit of it's low price compared to a Honda or Yamaha.

Might buy a second one just to have a spare.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #39

I love my Yamaha 3000iseb
The boost controller really is great. Quiet and crazy fuel efficient.
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #40

I don't 'love' anything but my DW and my dog. A generator is a machine, it cannot return affection so why show it any?

I had a Yamaha Inverter and sold it. Ran it 10 years and got enough on Flea-Bay to buy a New Champion, take the DW out to a nice dinner and fill both tanks on the pickup truck.

Did I mention that Honda and Yamaha's are over priced? If I didn't, I will now.

Tags
generator