Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Buying a solar set-up~~Help

I've finally decided to go-solar with about a 100 watt panel, regulator and display. If anyone can give me advice on what equipment they have, and are happy with, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Dismember

I purchased two 80w panels from an ebay seller. I can research the individual seller if you would like. I have a Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller that I am very happy with. The Morningstar controller seems to able to get charging current in cloudy and foggy conditions and I do not go to trouble to orient panels directly towards the sun. Other than direct shade from trees it seems to do pretty well. (I don't think that any controller would solve that scenario).

I am not using a display. I have a Xantrex LinkLite Battery Monitor which I love. Although it does not directly read solar panel details, I do get to see the bottom line which is how much current is going into or out of the battery. To my way of thinking, if you have a battery monitor you probably have all you need in terms of monitoring whether you are getting effective solar performance. If you don't have a battery monitor, I would still try to talk you into getting a battery monitor instead of a display. The battery monitor gives you so much valuable information it is well worth the investment even if you don't go solar.

After getting your 100w panel, you may decide that you want a larger array. Make sure you get a controller large enough to accommodate any conceivable panel upgrades you might do at a later date.

2010 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 5.7L 4X4
TimeFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Sunny dazz

I’ve decided on the controller you suggested, 15 amp Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT and either two 100 watt panels or one 135 watt. For the monitor, I like the “shunt-less” approach and will use a digital readout 12-Volt Battery Alarm Monitor.

Thanks for your help and nudging me away from the display.

Tags
solar