Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Can I plug into 110v household current?

My 1999 Georgetown 34' motorhome is parked next to my house. Can I plug an extension cord from the house 110v outlet to the Motorhomes 30 amp extension cord using an adaptor that I used on my boat when docked at the Marina. I only want power to interior lights and TV. Would I have to turn off the breaker to the refrigerator.

What do I need to do to use power from my house to power lights and TV.
Thanks for your time!
prayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you don't use any high amp appliances you'll be fine with an ext cord.
Do not run your a/c.

Your fridge is 110?
Or is it gas&electric?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayers1 View Post
My 1999 Georgetown 34' motorhome is parked next to my house. Can I plug an extension cord from the house 110v outlet to the Motorhomes 30 amp extension cord using an adaptor that I used on my boat when docked at the Marina. I only want power to interior lights and TV. Would I have to turn off the breaker to the refrigerator.

What do I need to do to use power from my house to power lights and TV.
Thanks for your time!
You'll be OK if all you'll be using are interior lights and TV. Hopefully you'll be on a 20amp circuit on the house outlet. I would suggest using no less than 12 gauge Ext. cord. If your extension cord is not too long, you should be able to run 110V to cool down the fridge when you go camping. I am able to run my A/C off 20amp circuit with a 10 gauge Ext. cord, but with A/C running, anything else, such as Fridge or microwave will probably trip the breaker on the house circuit. No need to turn off breakers in MH, just make sure switches are off!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Great information! My daughter wants to do a little home/camping with a couple of her little friendr in the Motorhome and we thought it would be a Cool ideal if they could watch TV and have use of an interior light.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Prayers, you can buy an adapter to plug your RV power cord into a 110 ac receptacle. I have a 13500 BTU a/c in our unit and run it all the time on a 20 amp circuit. Do not try to run the a/c and the water heater or the microwave at the same time.

I also run the refrigerator and the converter for the DC lights and the a/c. Use your rv cord and get an adapter. Experiment and you will find what you can run. If you trip the breaker you overloaded the circuit. You will not hurt anything... Can use TV also with a/c...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #6

Thanks! Good to know.

I never used the electric plug in at the campsites, so I'm not really sure what to do besides just connecting the Motorhome cord to the house power. I have a main power on/off at the inside entrance, it either gives power to the inside or not. I assume it gets its power from tha battery. So, do I turn it to OFF before plugging in? Also, if I leave the 110v hooked up, will it also charge the Motorhome batteries.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks! Good to know.

I never used the electric plug in at the campsites, so I'm not really sure what to do besides just connecting the Motorhome cord to the house power. I have a main power on/off at the inside entrance, it either gives power to the inside or not. I assume it gets its power from tha battery. So, do I turn it to OFF before plugging in? Also, if I leave the 110v hooked up, will it also charge the Motorhome batteries.
What do you,do at the campsite? Do run off the genset? You must be using your ac, microwave and TV, etc...

I don't have a generator in my travel trailer but I am sure you must have a select switch between shore power ( ac at campsite or home) and generator. Change the switch to shore power and then hook up the ac power cord to your 110 volts. Now, if you have 50 amp service it gets a little more complicated. What is the service to your motor home?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #8

Yes, I use the Genset. With tha I can only run one AC. I have either 30 or 50 amp service. With 50 amp service I can run the front and rear AC units. At the campsites I can use either 30 or 50 amps service.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, I use the Genset. With tha I can only run one AC. I have either 30 or 50 amp service. With 50 amp service I can run the front and rear AC units. At the campsites I can use either 30 or 50 amps service.
OK, you say you have either 30 or 50 amp service. I'm a little confused and please excuse me but I have to refer to my boating experience. I had a boat that could either hook up to 50 amp service or I needed a y adapter to hook up to 1 or 2 30 amp services. I now have a boat that has two 30 amp inputs. What does your MH have? A 50 amp connector with an adapter to two 30 amp circuits or two 30 amp inputs? I would think just one power connection for 50 amp and then you need to use an adapter for 30 amp?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #10

Prayers, here is an excellent reference to RV wiring... http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-electrical.html

Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

dalford, Since I've never used the electric at the campsites, I was told by the PO that I have 30 amp service, but to run both AC units I have to plug into 50 amps.

I still have the adaptor from the Boat shore hook up, I'll see if that fits my power wire to the Motorhome.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #12

dalford, Nice website. Thank You!

I have the 3 prong cord, 30 amps.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #13

Quote:
dalford, Nice website. Thank You!

I have the 3 prong cord, 30 amps.
Prayers, you say you have a 3 prong cord. Do you also have a 3 prong receptacle on your MH that the cord connects to? If yes, then all you have is 30 amp service. You can not connect 50 amp service to a 30 amp setup so I am not sure what the OP? was talking about.

Maybe someone on this site has some experience with your model MH and can shed more light on the situation

As far as your OP, get an adapter that will convert your 30 amp plug to a 20 amp plug and just watch your load. Run 1 ac, along with lights and fridge. Mine is in driveway right now and has been hooked up to 20 amp service all week with ac and fridge on and lights when needed...

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #14

dalford, I appreciate your help, Thank You!

I was in Walmart last night and happened to wonder over to the RV isle and found an RV Adapter (30 Amp cord to15 Amp Service) so I picked it up for $5.86.

On my Motorhome, I just have a 30 Amp extension cord hard wired to the rig. It's rolled up and long enough to reach the outlets at the Campsite.

For now I just want basic power, lights & TV. I gonna get a heavy gauge wire from Home Depot and make a fixed outside outlet and a 3 prong plug on the other, this way I can just plug it into the house when needed. I do have an independent outlet feeding from it's own breaker.

I do have a question, by hooking into the home service, do you think that the Motorhome batteries, not the engine battery will charge?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I was in Walmart last night and happened to wonder over to the RV isle and found an RV Adapter (30 Amp cord to15 Amp Service) so I picked it up for $5.86.

For now I just want basic power, lights & TV. I gonna get a heavy gauge wire from Home Depot and make a fixed outside outlet and a 3 prong plug on the other, this way I can just plug it into the house when needed. I do have an independent outlet feeding from it's own breaker.

I do have a question, by hooking into the home service, do you think that the Motorhome batteries, not the engine battery will charge?
If you have the adapter; use that to connect to your house circuit (just don't run the Air Conditioner). That way the converter will charge the house and truck starting batteries through your battery control center.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #16

OK, Now that I have a power line going to the Coach.
My next question before plugging everything in is:

At the inside entrance to the coach, on the wall side of the stairs is a RED T switch. If I turn it to ON I get power in the coach and OFF no power.

Do I keep it in it's ON position when I plug in the service line or OFF???
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #17

Well I called a local RV service center and they said keep the switch on.
Everything is working out great! Plenty of amps for the lights, water pressure and TV and the battery charger is charging the batteries

Thank you everyone for your help!