Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Champion 2000 inverter generator extended run gas cap?

Just ordered an extended run gas cap for the used Honda EU2000i I picked up a little while back. While searching for one for my Christmas gift Champion 2000 generator, all the ones specifically listed for the unit were $60-80 on eBay!
But...
Searching on Amazon I found some caps listed for the Honda AND states it fits the Champion, too. So, can they use the same gas cap? Not unboxing the new Champion til Christmas so can't test fit the cap when it arrives ;(
The Honda extended run aluminum billet gas cap is half the cost of a plastic factory replacement that would need modification for extended run.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Curious to know how it works for you. I've been a bit leery to try it on my Champion...from what I understand the Champion is gravity fed while the Honda has a fuel pump.
For the gravity fed system you must put the extra tank higher than the generator...and then hopefully the extended run gas cap doesn't leak!

Has anybody else made it work on a Champion?
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Curious to know how it works for you. I've been a bit leery to try it on my Champion...from what I understand the Champion is gravity fed while the Honda has a fuel pump.
For the gravity fed system you must put the extra tank higher than the generator...and then hopefully the extended run gas cap doesn't leak!

Has anybody else made it work on a Champion?
Some champion gensets also have an internal vent for the gas tank. If you try to feed through a fuel cap you'll either flood the bottom of the generator with gas (tank higher and gravity feeding) or the thing won't run (hoping the fuel will be sucked in).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #4

The Champion 2000 generator when running creates a vacuum in the gas tank. So there is no need to have the auxiliary tank higher than the generator, just level with the genny. Since a vacuum is created it will suck the gas out of the other tank.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

For my Champion 3400 Inverter I wanted to add an extended run cap and after much research reached the conclusion that gravity feed is not a good solution for all the reasons others mentioned (overflow, messy, fire hazard). So I found the youtube that shows how to add a fuel pump (its a little one that like the one you find on most lawn mowers). I added the fuel pump and tied it to a marine fuel connector. Now when I want to run extended, I just hook it up to my 3 gallon outboard motor external portable tank. Works very well. I never use the internal tank anymore (but I can by switching the knob). The parts cost me $75 and it was an afternoon project.

MOD is based on this youtube video LINK: Champion Extended Run

Also, if you look to the left of this message, there is a link to my Registry Entry under my name. In the registry are some pictures and a parts list for this project.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Just ordered an extended run gas cap for the used Honda EU2000i I picked up a little while back. While searching for one for my Christmas gift Champion 2000 generator, all the ones specifically listed for the unit were $60-80 on eBay!
But...
Searching on Amazon I found some caps listed for the Honda AND states it fits the Champion, too. So, can they use the same gas cap? Not unboxing the new Champion til Christmas so can't test fit the cap when it arrives ;(
The Honda extended run aluminum billet gas cap is half the cost of a plastic factory replacement that would need modification for extended run.
Here is an extended run cap for under $10.

https://tinyurl.com/rbtasev

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some champion gensets also have an internal vent for the gas tank. If you try to feed through a fuel cap you'll either flood the bottom of the generator with gas (tank higher and gravity feeding) or the thing won't run (hoping the fuel will be sucked in).
Exactly what happened with my dual fuel Champion 3400. I bought an extended fuel cap on eBay with the fuel line, fittings, and 6 gallon fuel tank. There is an internal vent that when gravity filling it overflows and causes a flooding condition. What I did was drilled a hole into the fuel cap and ran a fuel line through the cap onto the internal vent. By drawing air from outside I stopped the flooding. I ran the generator for a couple of days while hunting this fall. I had some success with it. But with the cold weather and me opening the fuel cap to “check the level” I ended up kinking that vent line and had problems with it. For me it’s a work in progress and this was the third time hunting using this method. My next effort I will try to figure out how to prevent the air line from kinking.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
Exactly what happened with my dual fuel Champion 3400. I bought an extended fuel cap on eBay with the fuel line, fittings, and 6 gallon fuel tank. There is an internal vent that when gravity filling it overflows and causes a flooding condition. What I did was drilled a hole into the fuel cap and ran a fuel line through the cap onto the internal vent. By drawing air from outside I stopped the flooding. I ran the generator for a couple of days while hunting this fall. I had some success with it. But with the cold weather and me opening the fuel cap to “check the level” I ended up kinking that vent line and had problems with it. For me it’s a work in progress and this was the third time hunting using this method. My next effort I will try to figure out how to prevent the air line from kinking.
I have a dual fuel 3500w Champion Inverter generator and if I want it to run for extended time without having to refuel I just use propane. About 15 hours on a 20# tank, about 22 hours on a 30# and maybe 75 hours (maybe 3 days) on a 100# tank.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Here is an extended run cap for under $10.

https://tinyurl.com/rbtasev
Yup. That's what prompted my question.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have a dual fuel 3500w Champion Inverter generator and if I want it to run for extended time without having to refuel I just use propane. About 15 hours on a 20# tank, about 22 hours on a 30# and maybe 75 hours (maybe 3 days) on a 100# tank.

My issue with using propane while hunting in the boondocks is availability. We bring 6 bottles of propane and that will feed the furnace and stove. Easier for us to use gas for the generator.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubanut View Post
My issue with using propane while hunting in the boondocks is availability. We bring 6 bottles of propane and that will feed the furnace and stove. Easier for us to use gas for the generator.
No argument here. Everyone's circumstances and desires are different.

I just like the flexibility. Gasoline can be scarce too, depending on where you're camping.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Once again, I'm toying with idea of extended run set up for my 2000W Champions (cube style). I see caps available on Amazon for about 15 bucks each. My Champions come with a manual vent lever on the cap. Are those still vented 'internally' like Mike said? Or has anybody made this work.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Once again, I'm toying with idea of extended run set up for my 2000W Champions (cube style). I see caps available on Amazon for about 15 bucks each. My Champions come with a manual vent lever on the cap. Are those still vented 'internally' like Mike said? Or has anybody made this work.
If you have a manual vent on the cap it's extremely likely it isn't vented internally.

Remove the cap and see if there is a small metal tube bent in an "L" shape under the cap. Since an internal vent needs to be above the regular level of gas in the tank this is where it's usually located.

Also, look inside the engine compartment and see if there is a small vinyl tube just hanging there, not connected on the bottom, that doesn't come from the bottom of the carburetor.

Another way to test is to remove the cap and fill the tank full to the top of the filler neck. If the gas doesn't go down while sitting, and no puddle forms under the generator, you don't have an internal vent.

A remote tank should work just fine for gravity fill. I wouldn't place it any higher than necessary for gasoline to flow. You don't need extra pressure that MIGHT cause the carburetor to flood.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks Mike, good info.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator, inverter