Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaMewesed View Post
Sadly I find the Champion to be the loudest there is. Costco carries a much quieter model. And of course HONDA is by refrrred.
the open frame ones are loud ya, but the closed frame ones are very quiet.
my 3500 running on propane is quiet enough that with it under the ledge of the rear bed pullout i don't even hear or notice it after about 10 minutes unless the ac kicks on or the eco switch is off.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #42

Can't hear the 3400 when inside my trailer with it right next to it.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Can't hear the 3400 when inside my trailer with it right next to it.
My Champ 3500 is mounted on back bumper using GennyGo platform. When running it's quieter than most onboard generators installed in Class C's. Likewise outside.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #44

I bought one of these in 2019 from NewEgg but it's still in the box. $849 -$170 with promo code. Glad to hear others are happy with theirs.
SKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 AM   #45

Question for Champion 3400 Dual fuel owners. I just bought a used one and it takes several minutes to shut off when using gasoline and switching to lp. As far as I know this is the only way to turn it off. The switches do nothing. Or is my unit defective? Seems like a safety issue not being able to kill it.
Supermaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaughan View Post
Question for Champion 3400 Dual fuel owners. I just bought a used one and it takes several minutes to shut off when using gasoline and switching to lp. As far as I know this is the only way to turn it off. The switches do nothing. Or is my unit defective? Seems like a safety issue not being able to kill it.
ya, thats normal.

pull the choke to get it to cut off; the fuel line solenoid is a puller solenoid and the spring in it is really not strong enough to push back out when the engine is actively sucking fuel down the line.

you can do sort of what i've done with my smart system retro fit and just not do the smart part of it: you can connect the shutoff switch to a small relay and the 12v so that when you switch it to off your cutting power to the system in a way that cuts the ignition circuit off.

that causes the engine to stop immediately.

in my setup i have it first cut power to the solenoid to let it disengage once there is not fuel pressure holding it open and then i momentarily cut power to the ignition circuit to stop it from sucking in the fuel for a second witch then relieves enough pressure that the solenoid can cut off the fuel supply

part showing the shut off starts at 2:48 in the video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wp-...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-05-2021, 08:04 AM   #47
swj

titan mike question

how did you secure generator to genny2 base plate? and how did you protect from rain/weather? pics of setup, looking to mount my gen on Lippert fold down storage rack
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #48

Quote:
If you are running on gasoline the on/off switch will shut down the generator. If running on LPG the switch will not shut it down. You have to shut off the LPG supply. Depending on how much propane remains in the line to the regulator, the engine will run on for a short while. If I'm in a hurry I just shut off the tank valve and then disconnect hose. This kills the generator in seconds. Just remember to shut off tank first.

This is buried in the manual.

As for safety? If I ever have an electrical issue I'd just pull the plug from the generator. Haven't ever had any other safety issues with any generator over the years where I'd have to shut it off suddenly. The Champions (as with most others) will shut themselves off if the most common issue, low oil, occurs.

In a way keeping the engine running even with the switch off is a safety feature. Forces you to turn off the LPG source and not risk leaving it on if someone just turns the switch off and kills the engine. Larger (and more expensive) generators as well as automotive type applications using LPG can more easily support more complex fuel control systems such as solenoids and sensors. These dual fuel generators are really basic and inexpensive.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by swj View Post
how did you secure generator to genny2 base plate? and how did you protect from rain/weather? pics of setup, looking to mount my gen on Lippert fold down storage rack
I just secured my generator with a pair of ratchet straps and for theft proof added two Master Python cable locks intertwined with the platform and rear bumper. For weather while traveling I just use the Champion cover for this generator. I chose to use the ratchet straps as it's necessary to move the generator to access the other side for checking oil, oil change, air cleaner service. I loosen the security cables and straps then just rotate the generator on the platform. No real need to lift it off.

For storage I have the Champ. cover on it and a piece of tarp I had custom made for running the generator in the rain.

TT is parked in my back yard on it's own pad so I am not worried about thieves coming in with cable cutters or abrasive cutoff wheels to steal my generator.

Thieves need to worry about me (and the three LEO's I have as neighbors

I'd include pictures but right now it's raining like the dickens.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you are running on gasoline the on/off switch will shut down the generator. If running on LPG the switch will not shut it down. You have to shut off the LPG supply. Depending on how much propane remains in the line to the regulator, the engine will run on for a short while. If I'm in a hurry I just shut off the tank valve and then disconnect hose. This kills the generator in seconds. Just remember to shut off tank first.

This is buried in the manual.

As for safety? If I ever have an electrical issue I'd just pull the plug from the generator. Haven't ever had any other safety issues with any generator over the years where I'd have to shut it off suddenly. The Champions (as with most others) will shut themselves off if the most common issue, low oil, occurs.

In a way keeping the engine running even with the switch off is a safety feature. Forces you to turn off the LPG source and not risk leaving it on if someone just turns the switch off and kills the engine. Larger (and more expensive) generators as well as automotive type applications using LPG can more easily support more complex fuel control systems such as solenoids and sensors. These dual fuel generators are really basic and inexpensive.
This is why I asked. The on/off switch does not shut it down. If it should than something may be wrong. I don't know what kind of safety issue I was thinking of. Maybe a fire or just needing it to be quiet quickly. Also if it gets overloaded it seems like you have to shut it down to reset. Kind of annoying to have to wait +5 min for it to starve. I havn't tried lp yet. Seller didn't have the regulator so I had to order one from Champion. I plan on using more propane than gas. The main reason I bought it is because I'm tired of cleaning carburetors.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #51
Midwest Ed

Quote:
This is why I asked. The on/off switch does not shut it down. If it should than something may be wrong. I don't know what kind of safety issue I was thinking of. Maybe a fire or just needing it to be quiet quickly. Also if it gets overloaded it seems like you have to shut it down to reset. Kind of annoying to have to wait +5 min for it to starve. I havn't tried lp yet. Seller didn't have the regulator so I had to order one from Champion. I plan on using more propane than gas. The main reason I bought it is because I'm tired of cleaning carburetors.
As TitanMike points out, a more complex fuel control system would be needed to provide more elaborate operation. This is why Champion does not offer their remote start feature in combination with LP or dual fuel units. They would also need a method to remotely turn the LP gas on and off, probably via an electrically activated solenoid valve.

You stated it takes 5+ minutes for the engine to self-starve when on LP gas. My 3400/3100 watt inverter Champion that is gasoline only will self-starve in less than a minute when the fuel switch is closed. Five minutes seems excessive. Is there no LP fuel shutoff on your model? How long is your LP fuel line? If you are concerned, maybe install a valve at the generator? There is an electric on/off switch that immediately turns off the engine on my gasoline model, although this is not the recommended method. I assume it disconnects the electrical ignition path. Have you tried this switch in an "emergency"?

Lastly, I have seen a dual fuel inverter model by a different manufacturer that also offers remote start. I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment.
Midwest Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:10 AM   #52

No, I have not used lp yet. It takes a few minutes to die when using gasoline. There are 2 electric switches. One just turned the battery off. The other is the electric start and it has on off position but that does not kill the engine.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #53

Quote:
No, I have not used lp yet. It takes a few minutes to die when using gasoline. There are 2 electric switches. One just turned the battery off. The other is the electric start and it has on off position but that does not kill the engine.

as i posted before, this is because there IS a solenoid valve on the gasoline fuel system.

now i don't know if this is due to age, i also got mine used and at that point it was a couple years old, that was about another 2 years ago so almost 4 year old genny.

i explained a way to allow it to properly cut the fuel off using a single 12v relay connected to the back of the on/off/start switch.

just connect it to the switch and the 12v either at the power switch or to the battery and then the ground through the 3 way switch and use that to act as a NC relay to allow the ignition system wire also going to the 3 way switch to complete it's circuit. that way when you move the switch to the off position you are cutting the fuel vacuum of the combustion cycle so the solenoid valve spring has enough force to close the fuel line.

the other option is to replace that valve at the bottom of the fuel bowl and i'd imagine that cost a fair bit more than a 12v relay, some wire and crimp on spade connectors.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Since it doesn't shut down when running gasoline and you turn off the switch there is a problem with the switch not killing the ignition.

Try this:

Turn off switch and then move the "lever" that covers the LPG port to it's LPG position. If that doesn't shut the unit down quickly you should contact Champion.

Their Customer Service is superb and they may have an answer. They will do their best to walk you through a fix and if parts are needed they are good about sending out quickly.

Just to be sure, are you pushing the on/start switch down ALL THE WAY to kill the engine. Mine has a center position it sits in all the time and you push it UP to start. To shut down engine it has to be pushed down and held there to stop engine. Just turning the battery/power switch off (the switch to the far right) won't kill the engine immediately.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #55

I bought a Champion 3400 watt remote start .I love it . Get the remote start then You can start or shut down with fob you can getup start gen use it get done and shut it off go to bed shut it off . other wise you have to go out side start gen or go outside to shut it off hope this helps someone .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #56

quick note we were camping at river rain was coming in I wanted to run gen I slid it under slide out to protect it with exhaust pointing out . It was quieter under slide I was setting in recliner right on top of it .I thought about fumes but figured co2 would pick that up if there was a problem .plus I have a good nose . Only ran it to finish showers and top batteries off shut down at night .
Old 03-20-2021, 02:11 AM   #57

I've got the Champion #100262 3500watt gas only with remote start. Love it... my only negative on it is that it just needs a bigger gas tank. Runs our TT with no issues whatsoever.

The remote start is just great... better than great.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I've got the Champion #100262 3500watt gas only with remote start. Love it... my only negative on it is that it just needs a bigger gas tank. Runs our TT with no issues whatsoever.

The remote start is just great... better than great.
I have the 3400 watt version and yes I love it to I think the remote start really makes the difference like I said in previous post my generator I found fits under slide the wheel well cut out lets it slide under and to my surprise it was quieter under slide than sitting 10 feet away .Yes the larger tank would be nice but weigh more . I watched a video where someone modded their champion gen to hook up remote gas tank I will be doing that mod in the future .I would like to have the duel fuel one I just haven seen it with remote start and like you said remote start really makes a difference and I agree very much .
Old 03-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
I have the 3400 watt version and yes I love it to I think the remote start really makes the difference like I said in previous post my generator I found fits under slide the wheel well cut out lets it slide under and to my surprise it was quieter under slide than sitting 10 feet away .Yes the larger tank would be nice but weigh more . I watched a video where someone modded their champion gen to hook up remote gas tank I will be doing that mod in the future .I would like to have the duel fuel one I just haven seen it with remote start and like you said remote start really makes a difference and I agree very much .

Be careful with your generator under your slide... you don't want to get exhaust in your camper. Carbon monoxide is bad news.

Get that generator out away from your camper. Be safe.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Be careful with your generator under your slide... you don't want to get exhaust in your camper. Carbon monoxide is bad news.

Get that generator out away from your camper. Be safe.
Just like it says in the instruction manual.

Tags
3500, 500, generator