Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #1

champion 3500 invertor generator

Has anyone purchased this generator and how well does it work? I'm looking at the dual fuel model and would like everyones advise on this.

I have a Geo Pro 19fbs and also wondered if a smaller generator would do the job for just A/C or Microwave. I figure a smaller one wouldn't do the whole trailer but would at least power the A/C since we live in Nevada and the summers do get hot !!!

Been looking at some but just not sure which one to purchase yet. Thank you for your advise and appreciate any input you can give me.
kgstakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:58 PM   #2

Westinghouse Generator

Hi, a year ago I bought a Westinghouse 4500-watt dual fuel (propane / gas) inverter generator (see attached picture). Sustained capacity on propane is 3330 watts. I also have a Honda eu2000, and the Westinghouse is just as quiet, but can fully power my trailer. Eco-throttle makes it very economical.

This unit can run both the central AC and the microwave, no problem. It includes a 30-amp TT receptacle. The best part is that with an extension hose, you can run this straight off of one of your propane tanks. Since this unit will never see a drop of gasoline, after I use it I can just wheel it into my back hallway.

It weighs 100 lbs., but has built-in wheels and a handle that extends, and you can move it around like a large piece of carry-on luggage.

I bought it through Home Depot (buy on-line with store pickup), so that I have somebody to stand behind it if I have problems.

My only nitpick is that doing an oil change is harder than it needs to be...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	245371  
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
Has anyone purchased this generator and how well does it work? I'm looking at the dual fuel model and would like everyones advise on this.

I have a Geo Pro 19fbs and also wondered if a smaller generator would do the job for just A/C or Microwave. I figure a smaller one wouldn't do the whole trailer but would at least power the A/C since we live in Nevada and the summers do get hot !!!

Been looking at some but just not sure which one to purchase yet. Thank you for your advise and appreciate any input you can give me.
I have one.
Works fine. Have barely used it. It always starts and runs. I've only used it with propane, to keep ethanol out of it. Propane *stuff* adds a lot of bulk to what you're carrying though. Runs my 13,500 btu air conditioner just fine. It's a heavy SOB. All I can do to wrassle it into the truck, but I do it. Harbor freight sells a hoist that tucks in nice that I've been eyeing up.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:

You could use a 2000-2200w gas 50lbs inverter generator if you installed a Micro-Air kit.
There are tons of threads here, on that Champion model.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
ysidive

Champion Generator

Quote:

I have a champion generator and I am very pleased with it... It is not a dual fuel model, but it is the model # 100158,, It is 3100 watts at startup and 2800 continuos...Inverter generator... I runs my AC and has no problem..It will run 6-8 hours on a full tank, depending on load... I am hapy with it and would recommend Champion. Their customer service has been great whenIhave called with questions...
Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #6

I bought the Westinghouse i2200 when it was on sale at Sam's Club for $299. Then for less than $10 I bought a capacitor for the AC. Works fine.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

I have the Champion 3500 dual fuel and really like it. My good friend uses one to power his food truck (his only job) -his has accumulated a bunch of hours.

No issues for either of us.
Easy maintenance.
Propane is awesome...no swapping jets at altitude...no storage issues.
I would buy it again without looking at anything else.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #8

Propane Inventer Genenrator

Thanks for all your help. I have an extra 30# propane tank that I use on my gas forge (blacksmithing forge) so that is the reason I wanted to go with a propane generator (already had extra fuel for it). I have solar on the trailer and have had no problems with it keeping up with the rest of the "electric" in my trailer. Just want something to use for the A/C mainly.

We do alot of boondocking and I feel the need of a generator. Will break up the quiteness of the great outdoors but sweating like a pig is no fun either.

Looked at Northern Tool for generators for half the cost of a honda. But I've seen utube reviews on the Champion. We'll see what happens this coming year, hopefully they (governments) will let loose a little and we can all enjoy rving the way each and everyone of us would like to.

Thanks again for all your help any other comments on them would be greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger on a generator.
kgstakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:

I have this inverter generator and am extremely pleased with it. Getting ready to start my third season with it.

I run mine on either LPG or Gasoline and it powers my entire trailer without strain. Can run A/C and Microwave at same time without hesitation.

I use gasoline for short runs (battery charge or stops while traveling for Microwave) and LPG for running A/C as one 20# tank can run up to 15 hours or more depending on heat.

This is my second Champion generator (previous one was 3500/4,000 watt) and after 10 trouble free years there was no question what I'd buy for an Inverter type.

Honda's are certainly the Cadillac's of the industry but they also are priced like the Cadillacs. The Champions are every bit as reliable and quiet (I've actually walked through campgrounds and measured sound levels of various generators.

(I own one of these )

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #10

Remote start is a nice thing to have.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #11

Don't have that model.
But I can tell you this. Champion customer service has been excellent to deal with!
A breath of fresh air!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

I got the Lowes $849
Actual price was $899.00
$899.00Save $50.00

CRAFTSMAN 3000-Watt Gasoline Portable Generator
Item #1028247Model #CMXGIAC3000
it is really a Genrac 3000 ($800) It will start and run the 13500 BTU AC even in Eco mode .. wt is about 60 Lbs VERY low Noise but not LP
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter
Goodyear Endurance, 89 days camped 2019, 75 days in 2020
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

I have their 3500w gas only model and I love it. A smaller unit will power your A/C, but won't start it unless you put a soft start kit in your A/C.

Regarding Champion quality, I also have their 9000w/8100w dual fuel conventional generator for my house. After the derecho, it ran continuously (on gas) for 2Ĺ days. It powered everything in my house but the A/C. I've used it for shorter periods a few more times.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob43 View Post
I got the Lowes $849
Actual price was $899.00
$899.00Save $50.00

it is really a Genrac 3000 ($800) It will start and run the 13500 BTU AC even in Eco mode .. wt is about 60 Lbs VERY low Noise but not LP

Looks like they were a little generous with their spec's. Advertised as a 3.000 watt unit but in the details it's only spec'd to be a "2300 running watt unit".

Also, be prepared to purchase an RV type adapter as it's full output is directed to a twist lock receptacle instead of the RV 30 amp type used on others like the Champions.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #15

I have had the Champion 3400 gas only generator for about 5 years. It has worked great. It powers my AC unit and my residential fridge just fine. we use it 2 to 3 times a year when we camp over in a Walmart or Lowes parking lot. I use premium gas only and stabil to make sure it always runs clean..

cheers jeff
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #16

I have a 3500 gas and I found it had to be derated 3% for every 1000 feet over 3000 feet above sea level. 8000 feet you are down to about 3000 watts peak and 2550 running watts. It does not run my air conditioner and my microwave at the same time at 8000 feet. It works great at home at 4500 feet. I went to a Honda 7000ei that meets my boondocking needs. Champion service is good.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob43 View Post
I got the Lowes $849
Actual price was $899.00
$899.00Save $50.00

Does that mean you got a deal buying an $800 Generac generator rebranded to Craftsman for $849. That 3000 watts is peak wattage. It means you will never get that much continuous (running) watts from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Looks like they were a little generous with their spec's. Advertised as a 3.000 watt unit but in the details it's only spec'd to be a "2300 running watt unit".

Also, be prepared to purchase an RV type adapter as it's full output is directed to a twist lock receptacle instead of the RV 30 amp type used on others like the Champions.
Leave it to Craftsman to sell by the peak wattage instead of running wattage like everyone else. Guess that's how they justify selling a 2300watt generator as a 3000watt for a higher price.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
DW says I'm nuts, the bolts have been missing as long as we've known each other.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Does that mean you got a deal buying an $800 Generac generator rebranded to Craftsman for $849. That 3000 watts is peak wattage. It means you will never get that much continuous (running) watts from it.

Leave it to Craftsman to sell by the peak wattage instead of running wattage like everyone else. Guess that's how they justify selling a 2300watt generator as a 3000watt for a higher price.
At least with a Honda 3000w generator you get 2800 watts running.

For the record all generators are advertised by peak and have lower running wattage. The Champion 3500 only has 3200 watts running output on gasoline. Only 2850
running watts on propane.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #19

I have the 3400w model dual fuel and love it. Works perfect, cranks every time.
The only down fall for me is the weight, its just under 100 lbs, but still that's pushing the limits for my old butt. If I had to do it again, I would probably spend the money on a honda. and like others have stated if your conservative, and install the microair, you will be just fine.
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #20

I have a Champion Dual Fuel Model 100263 Inverter Generator (3400 Watts Start/3100 Watts Run on Gas; 3060 W/2790 W on Propane) that is electric or manual start. Less than 60 dB on Eco mode (no sound data in manual) and I've run my 13.5 K BTU A/C system without issue (no other significant 120 VAC loads on at the time like microwave and/or water heater). While nearly 100 lbs, I can lift it into and out of my TV and it has a sturdy folding handle and wheels to move about. I added an hour meter to keep track of run times. Same cost as a Honda EU2000i but more output.

I leave it in the back of my TV (locked in place but with plenty of air supply) and run my 25' shore power line from it to my trailer. Bought it 3 years ago and it works very well.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, generator