Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Car/truck manuals these days are hundreds of pages long. Only nerds like me read them cover to cover.
Yes, but the forum needs nerds like you (and me) to spoon feed information to the people that are too lazy to read the manuals for themselves.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #42

Check the easy things first

I had a no lights issue and found my 7 pin plug was dirty. Get some electrical contact cleaner and give the plugs a good cleaning.
MontanaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Count me as a fellow nerd![emoji851]
Count me as a fellow nerd. I've read our truck manual cover to cover and still frequently refer to the manual after owning the vehicle for 10+ years. And every time I do refer to the manual, I learn something new or I'm refreshed on something I'd forgotten.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaWill View Post
I had a no lights issue and found my 7 pin plug was dirty. Get some electrical contact cleaner and give the plugs a good cleaning.
When one parks their trailer, position the female 7-pin connector facing down, toward the earth. That way water and bugs won't find their way in to contaminate the contacts. Also never leave it laying on the ground for dirt to accumulate.

A bit of care and attention will reduce the number of lights and brake issues.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
When one parks their trailer, position the female 7-pin connector facing down, toward the earth. That way water and bugs won't find their way in to contaminate the contacts. Also never leave it laying on the ground for dirt to accumulate.

A bit of care and attention will reduce the number of lights and brake issues.

Bob
I go a little farther and place the plug between my two propane tanks, under the tank cover.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #46

My trailer has a spot to store plug and chains off the ground

only wish they had something for the emergency brake cord
got pulled out by the weedwacker .... and I didn't notice.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #47

Just figured out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Count me as a fellow nerd. I've read our truck manual cover to cover and still frequently refer to the manual after owning the vehicle for 10+ years. And every time I do refer to the manual, I learn something new or I'm refreshed on something I'd forgotten.

Bob
Just figured out that several convenience circuits (cigarette lighters & USB ports) in the 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD can be set to provide continuous power or Retained Accessory Power (RAP). The former is on all the time. The latter is on only when the ignition is on, or after it's turned off, until either 20 minutes elapses or a door is opened.

The way they do this is to use 2-pin blade fuses in three-contact sockets. The load connects to the center socket contact. The left contact connects to RAP; the right contact connects to continuous power. Want to change a socket to RAP for your dash cam? Just move the fuse to the other position.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Just figured out that several convenience circuits (cigarette lighters & USB ports) in the 2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD can be set to provide continuous power or Retained Accessory Power (RAP). The former is on all the time. The latter is on only when the ignition is on, or after it's turned off, until either 20 minutes elapses or a door is opened.

The way they do this is to use 2-pin blade fuses in three-contact sockets. The load connects to the center socket contact. The left contact connects to RAP; the right contact connects to continuous power. Want to change a socket to RAP for your dash cam? Just move the fuse to the other position.
Thanks for this! Having an always hot outlet for phone charging is VERY helpful.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, running lights, trailer