Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Changed tongue jack, now trailer running lights don't work!

Hello everybody!

I recently changed the tongue jack in my forest river wildwood 22rbs.

If any knows that specific model, there are two wires connecting to the tongue jack back to fuse panel. There is a black and white wire. I am assuming the black would be the power and the white would be a ground wire.

With that said, the new tongue jack had just one wire that you directly connected to the battery. I am completely left with the black and white wire.

After that, my trailer lights didn't work. I re-connected the black wire to the power + on the battery and then only my brake lights and turn signal lights were working.

However, I still do not have running lights that are working.

NEED HELP!

Thanks,
jmschield22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #2

I don't have much to suggest, but hoping that replying will keep this thread current and get you some more help.

So I'm confused. Every tongue jack I've seen has 1 wire on it for +12V. The unit grounds directly to the frame via the 3 mounting bolts. They usally don't run all the way back to the fuse box and instead use a short run to the battery and an inline fuse.

Also confusing is that the brake, running, turn,.... lights should be connected to nothing on your trailer at all. They get their power, and are fused, from your truck. They don't need to go through anything on the trailer.

Where were this black and white wire? At the fuse panel? in a junction box under the trailer? Other?

Oh and you should specify the year of your trailer. Are you the first owner? Can you post a picture of the lose wires?

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:10 AM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the message. Its a brain teaser for me too. Either i'm completely missing something or a wire is off.

With my specific RV, the tongue jack had two wires going to it. I am assuming one was the power (black) and ground (white) These run all the way back to the fuse box connected right on the trailer, right behind the battery. (Junction box).

I've read that i should check my truck for fuses. However, its a 2021 truck, I doubt it would be a fuse from my truck, however, that's my next step.

As regards to those wires, it's very confusing, none of my lights were working, but then when i connected the black wire to the + battery, just my brake lights and turn signal were working, none of my running lights are working. (very strange).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #4

Just a thought....If I remember correctly, sometimes the lights don't work correctly if the headlight switch in the vehicle is in "auto". Have you tried placing the headlight switch in "on" then checking the lights?
Eric
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #5

Jack bolts directly to frame ... frame is the negative wire.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschield22 View Post
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the message. Its a brain teaser for me too. Either i'm completely missing something or a wire is off.

With my specific RV, the tongue jack had two wires going to it. I am assuming one was the power (black) and ground (white) These run all the way back to the fuse box connected right on the trailer, right behind the battery. (Junction box).

I've read that i should check my truck for fuses. However, its a 2021 truck, I doubt it would be a fuse from my truck, however, that's my next step.

As regards to those wires, it's very confusing, none of my lights were working, but then when i connected the black wire to the + battery, just my brake lights and turn signal were working, none of my running lights are working. (very strange).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Not knowing how they wire things anymore sarcasm . seems it's a shot in the dark with RV's . I would try putting the white to ground and see what happens .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi Jim,

OK, making sure we are using the same terms for items is important. To me the "fuse box" in a trailer is inside the trailer somewhere. Usually combined with all the 120V AC breakers. There are 5,10,15,.... automotive type blade fuses in there. There would be no reason that the trailers brake, parking,... lights would go there. Those lights are controlled only by the truck.

A "junction box" outside near the battery, usually a metal 4"x4" box is where the 7 pin wire harness from the truck would go. They sometimes run +12V DC wires for slides, and feeds to the battery from there. The wires from the truck: +12V, brake, turn,... are all fused in the truck.

What model year is your trailer? Is it new, or a used trailer you bought? Can you trace where the black and white wires go? Post a picture of your setup. On you old jack, can you take the cover off and see where those 2 wires go inside the jack. Something very strange going on here.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #8

Got a link to your old jack? Not sure where two wires are coming from since the jack only uses one.

I replaced my tongue jack in October. Put the tongue on an extended jackstand and removed the 3 bolts holding the jack to the frame. Disconnected the wire from the jack to the positive battery terminal. Reassembly was the reverse. Bolted the new jack to the frame and connected the (single) wire to the battery.

None of this had any connection to the truck. Did you connect the wire to the right battery terminal?

-- Chuck
Old 12-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Not knowing how they wire things anymore sarcasm . seems it's a shot in the dark with RV's . I would try putting the white to ground and see what happens .
My vote for this one ....

hold the white wire that use to go to the old jack onto an exposed metal bolt on the frame...
Old 12-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #10

I don't suggest touching either the white wire or the black wire to the frame. One of them is most likely 12 VDC and touching it to the frame can trip a breaker, blow a fuse, or no telling what might happen.

Use a volt meter and measure each one with the positive lead with the negative VM lead to the frame. The one with 12V is the "hot" one and should go to the wire on the tongue jack.

I don't see how the tongue jack wiring would affect the lights. Something else has been disturbed.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #11

Exclamation

IF (and that's a big "if") they followed what's supposed to be the standard wiring scheme for trailers, the tail lights, tag light and clearance lights should all be served by the brown wire. Open up that box where the cable from the tow vehicle goes and see if perhaps the brown wire is disconnected. And while you're in there, with the tow vehicle's lights turned on check the brown wire in the incoming cable for voltage. If the brown wire is secure and no voltage from the cable, the problem is definitely in either the cable or in the tow vehicle.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

CAMPING - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 11:18 PM   #12

yeah, my next step is a volt meter and opening up the box to take a look at wiring. I tried putting the white wire to the frame, nothing changed. The only thing that changed is when i connected the black wire to positive and brake and turn signal lights worked.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:20 PM   #13

new trailer forest river wildwood 22rbs. I am going to get a volt meter and see what the issue is with some wires. Its surprising that only the brake and turn signal lights would work, but not the actual running lights. I need to open up the junction box and see what happens.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:24 AM   #14
Retired Old Guy

To test the running lights put a fuse in the positive and running lights terminal on the trailer like the picture shows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4275.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	281991
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:52 AM   #15

for the fuse test picture..... first impression was WTH

then realized fuse is a jumper
Connects trailer battery .................... to the lights

If you have a spare OLD fuse holder with pigtail wires
You can do the same thing to all the connections

DON'T connect it to white !
Old 12-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #16

Looking at OP’s previous thread it appears that this issue may be connected to the work done previously. Based on the information provided and the lack of 12 VDC knowledge by the OP (no disrespect intended) it may be best to have someone with knowledge and the proper troubleshooting skills take over correcting these issues. Continual miswiring may cause expensive damage to the trailer and tow vehicle wiring.

As has been mentioned the trailer 12 volt system is completely independent of the trailers brake/turn signal/marker lights, other than a common ground to the trailer frame.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
I don't suggest touching either the white wire or the black wire to the frame. One of them is most likely 12 VDC and touching it to the frame can trip a breaker, blow a fuse, or no telling what might happen.

Use a volt meter and measure each one with the positive lead with the negative VM lead to the frame. The one with 12V is the "hot" one and should go to the wire on the tongue jack.

I don't see how the tongue jack wiring would affect the lights. Something else has been disturbed.

Bob

12v small gauge wire white should be a negative...
if in doubt test it with multi meter see if white wire carries any volts

black/red pigtail wire to a device.. would be it's positive feed.
You can touch that to a frame it won't be getting any power.. frame is negative.

I'd probably risk my fingers touching white wire ...
but won't try the 9v tongue test
Old 12-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
yeah, my next step is a volt meter and opening up the box to take a look at wiring. I tried putting the white wire to the frame, nothing changed. The only thing that changed is when i connected the black wire to positive and brake and turn signal lights worked.
when you say connected the black wire to positive

was the wire you connected ... the one that was directly connected to the power jack.

that wire should only supply the 12v TO the jack from the trailer battery...
the up down switch controls the motor direction .

you may have a light on the jack too
It should have absolutely nothing to do with anything else on the trailer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNLESS someone wired the tongue section of the trailer.
you need to physically trace where each wire from the truck is going .

7 pin plug from truck is not usually used to supply power to the jack. Jack will get power from trailer battery

BUT the 7 Pin does supply multiple 12v wires to the trailer's lighting and to the battery..
each pin in the 7pin connector has a function from the TRUCK.

Turn on left turn signal .... #5 gets 12v from the truck and sends it to the trailer light.

hit the breaks the blue wire #2 gets variable voltage from truck brake controller if you have one

RED wire .... #4 supplies constant 12v to trailer battery , normally ONLY WHEN truck motor is running!

remember every wire (except .... #1 white) is a positive wire.

They supply voltage from truck to the trailer for different functions
NONE of these wires can be joined nor should they be shorted together... ie their wires are damages and touching each other ...

Old 12-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #19
Site Team

As mentioned the jack is normally connected to the battery and should have no relationship to running lights. Running lights are powered by the TV and not the TT. I would start at the source.

Have you tested the running light pins on the TV bargman plug?
If they work properly at the plug you have an issue in the TT
If they do not work properly at the plug, you have an open or blown fuse in the TV.
To test the trailer connections, you can use a short jumper or fuse between the aux pin on the TT plug and the individual circuits on the TT. Be careful not to connect it to the ground or brake pin.

As a general comment, I would never work on RV electric circuits without a volt/ohm meter as these is no hard and fast wire color standard.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #20

My Jack has a black and white wire.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags