Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

Changing up to 2 x 6V GC Batts

My question is:

I have a seasonal trailer which I intend never to move, so weight is not a problem. I'd like to have a longer potential time on 12V in the event of a power failure. I'd like to use 2 GC batteries in place of the little 12V presently installed.

Is the standard issue type of converter capable of charging the GC batteries if they are discharged substatially?

I have a good 12V charger I can use if I'm on site, but concerned if a power loss event happens while I'm away.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
My question is:

I have a seasonal trailer which I intend never to move, so weight is not a problem. I'd like to have a longer potential time on 12V in the event of a power failure. I'd like to use 2 GC batteries in place of the little 12V presently installed.

Is the standard issue type of converter capable of charging the GC batteries if they are discharged substatially?

I have a good 12V charger I can use if I'm on site, but concerned if a power loss event happens while I'm away.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

My opinion (and it ain't worth much) is that's a lot of money spent with very little return unless your parks is prone to blackouts. I'm on a seasonal for 3 years now without any problems except low voltage that I fixed with an autotransformer. If you were boondocking, by all means, 2 6-volts are the way to go. In your seasonal, you should get a lot of days on one 12 volt battery and propane with a little bit of conservation in an emergency. That being said, yes your converter will keep them charged. Do you feel the need to have electric back up at home?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Howdie, cavie

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have a 2kw inverter (full sine wave) I'd like to use to power things such as laptop, etc., and maybe a fan if it's hot- that could deplete the little battery quickly.
We are not subject to total failure, but the transformer serving the camp cannot take the load when we fill up with overnighters and/or have an exceedingly hot spell- both happened twice this summer on 2 holiday long weekends with temps up to 35 C. My AC service was dropping to 90V for long periods. Would have been nice to be able to run a fan or two to be able to sleep.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Howdie, cavie

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have a 2kw inverter (full sine wave) I'd like to use to power things such as laptop, etc., and maybe a fan if it's hot- that could deplete the little battery quickly.
We are not subject to total failure, but the transformer serving the camp cannot take the load when we fill up with overnighters and/or have an exceedingly hot spell- both happened twice this summer on 2 holiday long weekends with temps up to 35 C. My AC service was dropping to 90V for long periods. Would have been nice to be able to run a fan or two to be able to sleep.
You very much need to look into an autotransformer and an EMS.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You very much need to look into an autotransformer and an EMS.
I know what an EMS is, and I'll get one in the spring for the new season. I googled autotransformer and got really confused- I get the gist of what that is, but what type or capacity should I look for?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
I know what an EMS is, and I'll get one in the spring for the new season. I googled autotransformer and got really confused- I get the gist of what that is, but what type or capacity should I look for?
From here:
https://hughesautoformers.com/

Buy one that matches the service of your RV (30amp vs. 50amp).
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
From here:
https://hughesautoformers.com/

Buy one that matches the service of your RV (30amp vs. 50amp).
Ok, I checked out the web site- does their unit perform the EMS function as well, or do you daisy chain them?. The video was good for voltage protection info only. I have a vague concept of a step up or step down transformer based on now very long past high school training and coaching from my electronic tech dad, so is that what we're looking at?

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Ok, I checked out the web site- does their unit perform the EMS function as well, or do you daisy chain them?. The video was good for voltage protection info only. I have a vague concept of a step up or step down transformer based on now very long past high school training and coaching from my electronic tech dad, so is that what we're looking at?

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

I have both, an EMS hard-wired and AutoFormer our by the campsite pedestal. I almost never bypass the EMS.

I think my electrician friends called it a “buck and boost transformer”. But honestly, I just let it do it’s magic.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #9

A 12 volt fan is a lot more efficient than running a 120 volt fan thru an inverter.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

The answer is that the minimum for recharging a pair of 6V batteries is about a 20 amp charger. Should be a multistage model...not a dumb auto charger. If you have that you are all set.
Given your other concerns...If I were you I think I'd be getting me a portalble QUIET generator like the Honda's or Yamahas insteat of making a battery investment. This way you can keep the AC and other things going.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote