Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

charging batteries directly from generator

This may have been covered previously but I couldn't find the thread. I have an A-IPower 2000 watt generator. One of the items that came with the generator was a cigarette plug with alligator clips so I can charge directly to my battery. I have been hesitant to use it for fear of overcharging the batteries. Has anyone used these? I'm trying to determine if it will charge my two golf cart batteries quicker that using a separate battery charger or the shore power cord that I normally use. any help would be appreciated.
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #2

Definitely will not charge very fast at all using that charging cord directly from the 12v generator port. Check the output.
You are better off just plugging your RV cord into the generator and letting the converter/charger take care of your battery like it is supposed to.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with Scott.

Those charging cords provide nothing more than trickle charging at best.

If you are going to run the generator, simply plug in the shore cord and let the converter do the charging. It is usually a fairly high output and charges in stages.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Team

x3 on not using those ports. They're almost useless on RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
PhD, Common Sense

If this port on the generator provided significant charging to the battery, wouldn’t a charge controller be needed?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
If this port on the generator provided significant charging to the battery, wouldn’t a charge controller be needed?
Most of the 12v charging ports found on generators put out a max of 8amps. So really slow.
And no, they aren't regulated, so when your battery is finally fully charged, it will just keep charging if you aren't paying attention.
I think the charging ports are mainly a marketing gimmick, as they are basically worthless unless you have absolutely no other charging options, which seems highly unlikely
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Most of the 12v charging ports found on generators put out a max of 8amps. So really slow.
And no, they aren't regulated, so when your battery is finally fully charged, it will just keep charging if you aren't paying attention.
I think the charging ports are mainly a marketing gimmick, as they are basically worthless unless you have absolutely no other charging options, which seems highly unlikely
I was told years ago by an outdoor power equipment supplier those 12v charging ports were for charging a battery on a vehicle/piece of farm equipment that was stuck in the middle of the woods/field with no other charging device (converter/external charger) or power grid around. It would suffice in a pinch where no other means was available.

I know we had a lot of 4X4 clubs around where the guys would haul a small generator (mostly 2 cycle and 400w-600w) when backwooding but never an external charger so it kind of made sense.

Certainly doesn't make sense to use it on an R/V with a converter.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I thought but felt that I would get better answers here. Cords looked to short and skimpy anyway.
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I was told years ago by an outdoor power equipment supplier those 12v charging ports were for charging a battery on a vehicle/piece of farm equipment that was stuck in the middle of the woods/field with no other charging device (converter/external charger) or power grid around. It would suffice in a pinch where no other means was available.

I know we had a lot of 4X4 clubs around where the guys would haul a small generator (mostly 2 cycle and 400w-600w) when backwooding but never an external charger so it kind of made sense.

Certainly doesn't make sense to use it on an R/V with a converter.

Yep- agreed. I’ve charged up a few moped batteries used by Camphost’s but that’s it.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #10

Newbie question re converter charging batts

When plugged into shore power and running AC, will converter still come on occasionally to keep my 2 coach batts charged?

Mine sometimes comes on for maybe 20 minutes and then goes off

Is this normal?
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
When plugged into shore power and running AC, will converter still come on occasionally to keep my 2 coach batts charged?

Mine sometimes comes on for maybe 20 minutes and then goes off

Is this normal?
The "coming on and going off" you refer to is merely the fan cooling the converter when necessary. The converter is on all the time you are plugged in and the breaker is on. It will switch to various charge levels depending on the state of charge in the batteries or load. When no load and batteries full it switches to it's lowest charge rate just to maintain the batteries by offsetting internal discharge and the light loads like LPG detector, thermostat, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #12

I tried telling a camper next to me at Glacier NP that I thought it would be better to plug the 30 amp cord into his genny than to use the 12 volt output on the gen. He told me rather rudely that I didn't know what I was talking about because the salesman at Camping World told him that hooking directly to the battery was the fastest way to charge his batteries. I politely thanked him for educating me about my mistake. I forgot that CW salesmen never lie to you.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #13

Made me LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I forgot that CW salesmen never lie to you.

Tags
batteries, charging, generator