Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Charging batteries with generator

Hi Everyone

When using a generator to charge up my two 6 volt golf cart batteries is it quicker to plug the camper into the generator or plug battery charger into generator and hook alligator clips to battery?
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave View Post
Hi Everyone

When using a generator to charge up my two 6 volt golf cart batteries is it quicker to plug the camper into the generator or plug battery charger into generator and hook alligator clips to battery?

The converter should charge the batteries better and faster then a stand alone charger . most chargers are 10 amp where as depending on unit converters can be between 35 to 65 amp with bulk charge at first
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave View Post
Hi Everyone

It depends on the charging amp rating of the camper vs. the stand alone charger. My converter in the camper is 45 amp. The battery charger in my garage is 30 amp. For me, plugging the camper into the generator would be faster. However, if your generator is large enough, why not both?

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

Look at the converter. Look up the model number.

Mine charges at 55 amps dc.

My Honda generator charges batteries directly at about 8 amps dc with the optional cable.

So, plug the generator into the shore power connection. About 7X faster.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

tomkatb, those direct DC outputs are typically unregulated, at least on my Champion, not a good choice, but doesn't sound like you are using it anyway.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

I use an externally fairly high capacity charger as my onboard WMCO only has a #8 cable from the battery to the converter which is a long way away and I don't get as many amps as I do charging the battery directly. The WMCO start slowing the amps way too early which results in a slower charge, But either way works, I can do it better with my big Schumacher at the battery but the stock WMCO is not as efficient as some after market. It's adequate however.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
It depends on the charging amp rating of the camper vs. the stand alone charger. My converter in the camper is 45 amp. The battery charger in my garage is 30 amp. For me, plugging the camper into the generator would be faster. However, if your generator is large enough, why not both?
Maximum acceptance for a charge is briefly about 25% of rated amp hours...then degrades into near 0 as charge approaches full If you have the typical 200 amp hour range dual battery set up that means using combindsources over 50 amos is a waste of time and monvey.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

use both as said earlier, wont hurt a thing and will bulk charge as fast as the battery can accept it.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #9

Think of it this way: Do you simply plug into shorepower and automatically charge your battery or do you drag out a battery charger, clip it to the battery, and connect it to an extension cord to an outlet to charge the battery?

Either way works, of course, but there's already a battery charger inside the camper so why bother with an auxiliary charger? (A 10 amp extension cord and adapter for the camper will be fine if you don't want to drag out the heavy shorepower cord.)

Generator is no different than the power post at the campground. Both supply 110vAC power.

-- Chuck
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
use both as said earlier, wont hurt a thing and will bulk charge as fast as the battery can accept it.

I would think using both would fool the converter to lower the amps to the battery thinking it was charged ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I would think using both would fool the converter to lower the amps to the battery thinking it was charged ?
Maybe in absorption stage, final 20%, when current is gradually decreased. In bulk, it will take all the current as long as you are not exceeding natural limit, as mentioned previously.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Not really. Battery will equalize voltage until it's fully charged. Really a wasted effort, running converter and separate battery charger. As pointed out earlier, batteries charge on a declining voltage curve (tapered charge).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, generator