Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Charging camper batteries

Just wanted to see what everyone does to get their RV batteries charged without the use of a generator. What is the best setup for going to my storage space and getting them charged up quickly. I also have no electric available which i guess is the real problem. I just found out that trying to charge the batteries while hooked to the truck is not an option as it will only trickle charge and could take up to 2-3 hours.
weberml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,
Not any options other than a Generator with a high output garage type charger. This will be hard on the batteries and may cause some fluid loss.

At 5 to 10 amps thru a truck connection will take a while.

A trickle charge would be all day and night.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Team

If you had a battery disconnect switch or a solar setup, you wouldn't have to charge them when you got there.

I had a disconnect switch on my batteries and after 4 months of storage, they were still nearly fully charged.

If you don't want to do that, then a generator is your only solution.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

You could use your truck battery with booster cables connected in proper sequence just to get a charge for 15 minutes. Hook with truck off then start your engine. Reverse process to disconnect. Finish proper charging when you get home. Make sure battery is in good order before doing this....or go to your storage space and bring back battery home day before to charge at home.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
You could use your truck battery with booster cables connected in proper sequence just to get a charge for 15 minutes. Hook with truck off then start your engine. Reverse process to disconnect. Finish proper charging when you get home. Make sure battery is in good order before doing this....or go to your storage space and bring back battery home day before to charge at home.
You should bold/underline this part. Hooking up a damaged battery with your engine off could damage your starting battery; resulting in you being stranded as well as having a dead camper battery.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. I am looking into solar kits to trickle charge the batteries while in storage. I do have a disconnect as bikendan stated and it is always off when in storage, but it seems that I always have to get into the trailer to do something so I have to extend the slides which drains the batteries somewhat.

Solar, here I come...
weberml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Do your research. The small 5-10 watt so called solar battery chargers/maintainers are useless. I would get a good 20-40W panel and a good controller.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

Solar with a backup Yamaha 1000 Watt Inverter-generator

I have two 50 Watt solar panels that I parallel together with a MPPT charge controller to recharge the batteries. Mine are not on the roof, I have cables to get them where the sun is.

I recently got a 160 watt solar panel that will put out about 10 amps of current into the batteries. A day should get them recharged from nearly dead.

My converter in the trailer floats the batteries at 13.6 Volts so it works well also.

Solar is nice because it is quiet.
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weberml View Post
Just wanted to see what everyone does to get their RV batteries charged without the use of a generator. What is the best setup for going to my storage space and getting them charged up quickly. I also have no electric available which i guess is the real problem. I just found out that trying to charge the batteries while hooked to the truck is not an option as it will only trickle charge and could take up to 2-3 hours.
I remove the negative cable from battery when I store. Nothing can drain on the battery
OLDNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Charging camper batteries

Pull the batteries and bring them home if it's going to be more than a month in my opinion. Only takes a few minutes. I have dual Interstates and wouldn't want them going bad (or stolen). They need some love. Get a charger for the bench.
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #11
Site Team

I left my batteries on the trailer when I stored it at a yard, for 4 months in the winter.
Since I had a disconnect switch, the batteries were still nearly full when I went to bring it home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #12

I agree, a small solar setup will work great.

Tags
batteries, camper, charging