Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Total N00b

Charging gear

Apologies for the n00b question, this is our first RV.

We just bought a 2017 Sunseeker 3050S. I want to be able to charge while at home (or somewhere that only has a standard house 15amp circuit).

I was thinking of purchasing 2x50ft 10/3 extension cords (only using both if I have to), a 15amp male to 30 amp female adapter, and a 30 amp surge protector, which will then connect to our RV cable.

Do I need to worry about overcharging? I can’t find anything about if and how the 3050S handles this. I’d rather not buy a trickle charger if I don’t have to.

Thanks in advance, forum gurus!
TX-SpartyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #2

Charging gear

Just plug your rv in. The onboard charger will not overcharge.

Look into the 30amp extension cords before you buy a 15 amp. Maybe a similar investment and we have needed additional cording at some campgrounds.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-SpartyBus View Post

We just bought a 2017 Sunseeker 3050S. I want to be able to charge while at home (or somewhere that only has a standard house 15amp circuit).

I was thinking of purchasing 2x50ft 10/3 extension cords (only using both if I have to), a 15amp male to 30 amp female adapter, and a 30 amp surge protector, which will then connect to our RV cable.

Do I need to worry about overcharging? I can’t find anything about if and how the 3050S handles this. I’d rather not buy a trickle charger if I don’t have to.

Don't waste your money on a surge protector. Buy an EMS. Much more protection. You will find more low voltage then you will find surges.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #4

I assume you are talking about regular RV type extension cords. Get one long enough to meet your needs where you store your RV rather than several shorter ones. More connections, more problems.

For the adapter, get a short pigtail with 30 amp female on one end and 15 amp male on other. This will reduce the common problems with the "Hockey Puck" type adapters, each side of it having enough resistance to cause some heat, which then adds together to enough the "rubber" melts. The pigtail adapter only has a little heat on each end that dissipates quickly under normal circumstances. If you do "toast" one, the pigtails are cheaper than the long cords.

Shop around. Lots of offerings at lots of prices for RV extension cords.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Total N00b

Wow thanks for the great help! Y’all are already saving us time and money!

I will skip the surge protector and look for an EMS.

I did buy a pigtail adapter, so I think I’m good there (depending on the ext. cord discussion...).

On the extension cords, I was thinking of the 15 amp non-RV cords:
- When we are home: RV -> RV cord -> EMS -> adapter -> ext. cord -> house.
- When on the road: RV -> RV cord -> EMS -> power.

But looking at that and hondaman’s comment about needing more RV cord length, perhaps I should buy one 50ft 30 amp RV cord, and one 15 amp cord.

Y’all rock!
Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #6

Charging gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't waste your money on a surge protector. Buy an EMS. Much more protection. You will find more low voltage then you will find surges.

X2

Also when continuously plugged in, monitor battery electrolyte levels and keep them topped off. My experience has been every battery charger/maintainer no matter the quality will affect electrolyte levels.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #7

If you have a Progressive Dynamics type converter they typically come with a standard power cord that plugs into a standard wall receptacle. If yours is conveniently located you could just use your 10/3 extension cable and plug just the converter in for charging. Everything AC voltage will not even be powered. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

your original plan is just fine - dont worry about surge or ems and such, just plug it in and let it keep your batteries charged...simple
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #9

Yes I keep a 50 ft 15 amp cord also to run an electric space heater right off the pedestal

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #10

Quote:

to the Forum from Alaska!

The forum is the place to get answers.

You should have a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger in your power bay where your 30a power cord is stored.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180514_160134.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	191232
Picture of my Progressive Dynamics converter/charger.

If you only want to charge your extension cord should work. Do not disconnect the battery, the Progressive Dynamics will not charge your battery with the battery disconnected.

If you plug into a GFI outlet it may trip. That is because you have a GFCI outlet in your Sunseeker. You can turn off the GFCI outlet in your Sunseeker 120v Circuit breaker. After that you should be able to plug in the shore power cord without tripping GFCI. For your own protection, you should not plug an outside extension cord into a non-GFCI outlet. Also do not let the ends of the extension cord touch the ground.

There are many threads on this forum about hardwired an portable EMS & surge protectors. My choice was to mounted mine inside my power bay. That way I can use it to test a CG pedestal & not leave it behind.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_164330 sub panel 1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	191226

Also don't forget run your generator with a load every month or two.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Wow thanks for the great help! Y’all are already saving us time and money!

I will skip the surge protector and look for an EMS.

I did buy a pigtail adapter, so I think I’m good there (depending on the ext. cord discussion...).

On the extension cords, I was thinking of the 15 amp non-RV cords:
- When we are home: RV -> RV cord -> EMS -> adapter -> ext. cord -> house.
- When on the road: RV -> RV cord -> EMS -> power.

But looking at that and hondaman’s comment about needing more RV cord length, perhaps I should buy one 50ft 30 amp RV cord, and one 15 amp cord.

Y’all rock!
NO 15 amp cords (that's 14 ga). Buy 12 ga 20 amp cords. 10ga (30 amp) if you have the spare change.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #12

If your existing cord isn't long enough Home Depot or Lowes has the cord you need. The only reason for a cord rated greater than 15 amps is the voltage drop from the house to the camper. 30 amp cord is very bulky. 20a not so much. But all you're doing is running the battery charger in the power center so it's not critical.

You'll need an "RV" twist connector for the camper end. Looks like this ($16 on Amazon):

Or if you can reach the house with your existing cord use an adapter like this ($7 on Amazon):

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
Total N00b

Thanks for all of the great advice!

Tags
charging