Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Question Charging Main Coach Batteries

Both Main Coach Batteries were down after a visit to the repair facility. I added water to both batteries and am charging. So far after 5 hours they are only at 47%. I wonder if they are just slow to charge or if they will not charge all the way and faulty?

As you can see, I am not much a mechanical whizz.

Thanks,
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-24 14.11.22.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	81002  
capndinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
clr

Just a quick back of envelop type calculation, you have about 100AH guess batteries for a total of about 200AH with your 12AMP charger that would required over 16 hours to fully charge both batteries. So it looks to me like it is charging normally.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Yes give it 24 hours charge.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #4

Thanks you cir and fonzie! It is all magic to me. I appreciate your help and assurances that I am on the 'right' track now.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capndinghy View Post
Both Main Coach Batteries were down after a visit to the repair facility. I added water to both batteries and am charging. So far after 5 hours they are only at 47%. I wonder if they are just slow to charge or if they will not charge all the way and faulty?

As you can see, I am not much a mechanical whizz.

Thanks,
Chuck
Is that blue thing what your using to charge, or just take readings after your plugged in to shore power, and your converter is doing the work. The best charger you have is your on board three stage converter to replenish your batteries. Use that and you will get the best results. That will also eliminate the possibility of boiling your bats, in case the blue thing isn't "smart", and can't sense state of charge during the process.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #6

The blue thing is smart and is also charging the batteries. The tech at the repair place said it is best to charge them with a charger, then keep them up using shore power. I cannot keep it plugged into shore power where I store the coach because, there is none available. Thanks for your comment Still Kickin I appreciate the info! ....I will try and plug my 30 stepped down to 15 into my regular house outlet . . . if the 30 foot cord will reach.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

How many AMPS does your charger say it delivers?
You have about 140 amp hours of battery capacity if those are group24 batteries nd that charger looks like it can deliver around 10 amps which is way less than what you'd need for fast charging. (30 amps) ... give it 24 hours with that charger.
Your mechanic is full of crap. The CONVERTER in your coach is the best way to charge deeply discharged batteries. Once fully charged...you should store with the negative disconnected to avoid discharge. They will last at least 2-3 months without further chargeing IF you disconnect..(NOT the switch...the wire!!)
Alternatively...keep a trickle charger on it which the blue charger MAY do...would need make & model of that to verify. Your converter WILL work off a househould current cord/adapter set up.

BTW...how do you know it is 47% charged??? The picture you posted shows the batteries being charged AND connected to the coach. You can't measure true charge that way.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, battery