Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

Charging with master off

I have a 2015 Class C Forester. Simple question- if I have the coach plugged in to AC but the master electrical switch is rotated to the OFF position, does the converter still charge the coach batteries? Or does the master interrupt that circuit as well?
Thanks,
Russ
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #2

I believe it does stop charging. Easy to check with a volt meter. I never turn mine off.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

Best way to find out is use a multi-meter (or voltmeter) and take voltage reading with shore power hook up and then with master switch in the on and off position. You will know then for sure.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmd View Post
I have a 2015 Class C Forester. Simple question- if I have the coach plugged in to AC but the master electrical switch is rotated to the OFF position, does the converter still charge the coach batteries? Or does the master interrupt that circuit as well?
Thanks,
Russ
Because you are rotating the "master electric switch" I have to assume you are talking about the battery disconnect. It disconnects the batteries from the circuit. It only controls the 12-volt system.

The only other 'master switch' as you call it would be the main breaker in the breaker box. It disconnects the 120 voltage to the trailer.

2 different switches. 2 different electric systems.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

Yes, I am referring to the battery disconnect. And if it completely disconnects the batteries from the system, I would expect they will not charge. I could hook up a multimeter, I just expected it would be an obvious answer that all would chime out. Thanks.
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

Like I said, it should. But, not everyone wires things the same. That's why its best to check then you know for sure. There are devices connected to the batteries that are not turned off by the battery disconnect and they will run down a battery over time.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Yes, I am referring to the battery disconnect. And if it completely disconnects the batteries from the system, I would expect they will not charge. I could hook up a multimeter, I just expected it would be an obvious answer that all would chime out. Thanks.
In well over 99% of the time the answer would obviously be "no, the batteries don't charge". There's always that rare instance where someone has retrofitted a converter that is now mounted close the batteries, directly connected to the batteries, and the disconnect is in the wire feeding the distribution panel.

Best answer is to check for charging voltage at the batteries when the master battery switch is off. That will eliminate that odd percentage.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
You are correct. Turned off the batteries will not charge. There are a few things that do not turn of with the switch. Slide motors, CO detectors, leveling jacks, automatic steps are a few that come to mind.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #9
Empty Nesters

I have a sunseeker connected to power at my house for storage.
Why would you want to disconnect the battery? The converter will keep the battery charged and maintained and ready to go. I have never rotated my battery disconnect to OFF unless I am working on the DC power downstream and do it for safety.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
I have a sunseeker connected to power at my house for storage.
Why would you want to disconnect the battery? The converter will keep the battery charged and maintained and ready to go. I have never rotated my battery disconnect to OFF unless I am working on the DC power downstream and do it for safety.
If you're around to check on things from time to time there probably no issue. There are many posts describing overcharged batteries. A disconnected battery on a float charger is much safer. Mine is 1400 miles away. Power is off. The battery is disconnected to avoid discharge. Different scenarios.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Empty Nesters

It seems like I'm in mine just about every day. Either putting things in for the next trip or taking things out from the last. We go a minimum of once a month for a weekend away and hopefully twice a month. I check voltage and fluids once a month...haven't gotten a hydrometer to start that check yet!

I feel so lucky to have mine stored in the driveway!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Thanks,
Russ
Before I added an inverter I would never turn the charger off, it is self-managing. Without power it does nothing. Now that I have I added the inverter when that is on and supplying mains power I need to isolate the charger, otherwise I would have a feedback loop... battery supplies the inverter, inverter supplies mains power, charger now working from "mains power" and charging the battery which supplies the mains power via the inverter and so on.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post

I feel so lucky to have mine stored in the driveway!
A lot easier than in storage. I had my old TT in storage for a couple months after my Colorado home was finished and I was waiting for the snow to melt in the mountains before towing it back to WA. The storage facility had NO electrical at all for stored RV's. Apparently they had a fire in earlier years caused by electric heaters left on so no more.

If I had to leave the trailer there longer I would have merely removed the batteries and put them on a "tender" at home.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 AM   #14
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A lot easier than in storage. I had my old TT in storage for a couple months after my Colorado home was finished and I was waiting for the snow to melt in the mountains before towing it back to WA. The storage facility had NO electrical at all for stored RV's. Apparently they had a fire in earlier years caused by electric heaters left on so no more.

If I had to leave the trailer there longer I would have merely removed the batteries and put them on a "tender" at home.
X2. When mine was in storage it was 30 mins away, only accessible between 7-9 am Mon-Fri. Any other time it was a $50 call out. Doing any work there was nearly impossible. No power apart from the generator, little time, always left a tool or part behind, and so on. Having my neighbour letting us park it in his very wide and long drive (it fits length-ways between his garage door and the sidewalk with about 3 feet to spare) next door is a godsend. Power is always hooked up to keep the batteries on float, water available for the tanks, tools and all the bits I could need in my garage next to it.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging