Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
I did ask for that by just stating lithium... RV lifepo4 is total different design and use than a laptop

I guess I should have stated..
do we really know the reliability of the new 12v Lifepo4 100ah for RV that is dragged over every pothole

plus a new brand name coming out every other day
possibly means the bad brands are just simply changing their names after getting too many complaints.
Thankfully, Will Prowse is weeding out the poorly built ones for us. And, interestingly, the problems he finds are not with the cells, but with the wiring and electronics or physical construction.

I went LiFePO4 seven years ago, after watching the technology for a few years. LiFePO4 isn't exactly new. And problems seem rare and limited to BMS issues.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Have you read here or on IRV2 or elsewhere of a LiFePO4 in RV service failing? I haven't and I've been following the technology from before I bought my first one in 2015. There have been one or two BMS issues though none causing a hazard. Medical equipment across the country is rife with LiFePO4. There are Youtube videos of people driving pick axes into prismatic LiFePO4 cells trying to get some fireworks going. No luck.

As for LED light bulbs. I was an early adopter. I skipped the no-name ones and went with GE (warranted for 25 years). I must have about 60 of them in my house and garage and shop. Just one failure so far.
The first "replacement" for incandescent bulbs was the "spaghetti bulb" (CFL) which was a fluorescent tube just wound into a shape that would fit where most household bulbs were used. Color of light output was terrible and the current crop of LED's were a welcome change. The CFL's had to be disposed of as hazardous waste as they contained mercury.

Interesting story on LED lighting.

In 2016 I replaced all incandescent lights at my house, both inside and out, with LED's. About the same time I purchased a PHEV and installed a charging station.

A comparison of electric bills before and after the lighting change and adding the new car/charging station showed no change.

The savings in power consumption went to my driving around town. That was before I looked at the savings on gasoline purchases.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
I did ask for that by just stating lithium... RV lifepo4 is total different design and use than a laptop

I guess I should have stated..
do we really know the reliability of the new 12v Lifepo4 100ah for RV that is dragged over every pothole

plus a new brand name coming out every other day
possibly means the bad brands are just simply changing their names after getting too many complaints.
The RV industry isn't the pioneering use for these batteries.
Commercial/industrial companies have thoroughly exercised the technology.
It comes down to manufacturing quality.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The first "replacement" for incandescent bulbs was the "spaghetti bulb" (CFL) which was a fluorescent tube just wound into a shape that would fit where most household bulbs were used. Color of light output was terrible and the current crop of LED's were a welcome change. The CFL's had to be disposed of as hazardous waste as they contained mercury.

Interesting story on LED lighting.

In 2016 I replaced all incandescent lights at my house, both inside and out, with LED's. About the same time I purchased a PHEV and installed a charging station.

A comparison of electric bills before and after the lighting change and adding the new car/charging station showed no change.

The savings in power consumption went to my driving around town. That was before I looked at the savings on gasoline purchases.
If somebody (as earlier in this thread) wants to throw mud on new technology, the CFL would be a good target. The CFL was a case of new tech going awry. LED was on the horizon and I could not wait for LED to hit the streets so I could get rid of those CFLs. E.g. me being an early LED adopter (at $5 to $15 a pop back then).

One of the best things about LED was that I no longer needed to hound my DW about turning off lights (she has one of those syndromes that cause people to need or crave light). She wore out CFLs right and left. No more with LED.

I didn't quantify, but I too probably saved a lot of electricity with CFL and then LED lighting.

In my case it was going mini-split HVAC that saved enough electricity to cover our Volt use (though it gets only 4K miles per year, almost all local so close to 4 miles per kWh).
Old 09-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
The RV industry isn't the pioneering use for these batteries.
Commercial/industrial companies have thoroughly exercised the technology.
It comes down to manufacturing quality.
YES. Design and manufacturing quality. That's where Will Prowse comes into play.

I've read that there are only a few LiFePO4 makers in China that produce the lions share of LiFePO4 prismatic cells. They seem to have good quality control given that most of their rejects (grade B cells) get purchased and used productively in off-grid homes and some DIY RVs and such.

Tags
battery