Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

Continuing electrical problem

Got the 2 6v battery in series wiring issue resolved thanks for all the help.
Now I have no power from my 1000W Samex inverter; might this have been caused by improperly wiring the batteries or something else? Just FYI in line fuses (2) and a thermal circuit breaker were checked.
bbeatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #2

could have been caused by bad wiring... did you take out the inverter and try to hook it up and try it out with a different 12V battery? That would tell the tale... fortunately 1000 watt inverters are pretty inexpensive...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

No I did not remove the inverter it is in a storage compartment and will be difficult to access the mounting screws, thanks for the tip.
bbeatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Got to climb in compartment and verify that you have 12volts on the big wires of the inverter
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #5

Not sure how you use the inverter, ( residential fridge, or just lighting and TV) or if the inverter in that compartment needs to be at that location, but maybe just replacing it and mounting it in another location or easier access point is the thing to do...

often inverters have fuses mounted internally OR on the back or front of the inverter body, so you mentioned inline fuse were checked, but there may be some in or on the inverter itself...

search amazon 1000 watt inverters shows many with pictures...

there are modified sine wave and full sine wave inverters available... make sure you know the difference for your needs before you replace yours...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #6

Measure the voltage at the input of the inverter with a meter.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #7

Sometimes the output of the inverter is through a GFCI receptacle. This GFCI could be tripped. Look to see if yours has the gfci built into the exterior of it.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #8

Have you checked the output of the batteries immediately after wiring them in series with a multimeter? I'm far from an expert, bit I no longer debug any electric problem without a mulitmeter. It completely removes the guess work. I start with what ever is easiest to access.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Have you checked the output of the batteries immediately after wiring them in series with a multimeter? I'm far from an expert, bit I no longer debug any electric problem without a mulitmeter. It completely removes the guess work. I start with what ever is easiest to access.
A word of caution to those who misread the bold part in this post.

You want to test with a multimeter AFTER wiring the battereis in series. Do not wire the multimeter in series. Some might see this and be inclined to wire the meter in series and try to use the Amp function. Most meters are limited to 10 amps max through the meter.

Just check for 12 Volts at the inverter input. If not there make sure it's turned on using either remote (if one is connected) or the switch on the inverter (if so equipped).

It's possible that in the earlier wiring issues that the Inverter was subjected to reverse polarity and fuses blown, worse yet, inverter damaged. If 12 volts are at the Inverter, connected with proper polarity, it's down to only switches, fuses, or the inverter itself. Check in order, power at input, switches on, and if OK to that point then the Inverter will probably need to be replaced.

FWIW, many inverters can be repaired and many areas have shops that perform this work. If time isn't critical it could be economical to repair if the inverter is a higher end unit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical