Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #1

Question Convert from 110 to 240volt

I took delivery of an Evo T2050 in February this year and although the power outlets have been converted to 240 the fridge, a/c and microwave are still 110volt. To provide the correct voltage (Australia is a 220/240volt country) a step down inverter was fitted. The inverter gets very hot and has an annoying hum when running.
Ideally I need to switch everything that is 110volt to 220/240 volt if possible. I understand that the Dometic can be retrofitted and I will have to switch the microwave to the Australian voltage. I don't believe the A/c can be retrofitted so I will need to keep the step down inverter for this purpose.
My question does anyone know if the power cables run through the RV walls and if so do they run down through the floor and along the chassis?
The existing cables will need to be replaced to the higher 240 volt rating and the easier the access the better.
Has anyone attempted a similar conversion?
Thanks..
Frances Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

I really doubt that you need to change out any wiring. I just looked at two different pieces of Romex I had in the garage and both were rated at 600 volts. I think that's the norm. Find a place where you can see a short piece of the wire. It will have a voltage rating printed of stamped on it. Since the current will be less, I doubt you'll have any reason to change the wire.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the info which I will check out and make things a lot easier. I need to run another power cable from RCD fuse box to either the power distribution box or the step down inverter for the a/c.
But this will certainly make the electricians work less of a hassle.
Thanks..
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Have circuit breakers been changed? They will be 1/2 the size they are now with 2X the voltage supply. They may be voltage rated for 120/240 but again way to big for the existing loads. Have you located and checked all junction boxes? They may be properly wired for 120 but doubtful will handle 240 without tightening/ reinsulating the splices etc.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Hi Vince,
Yes the fuse box has been replaced with a 240volt on based on Australian standards and has two separate fuses as well as a main fuse. One fuse is wired to the 240v power cables and outlets have been replaced with the standard Aussie type.
A 240volt cable goes from the other fuse to power the step down inverter. The power outlet cable from the from the inverter is 110volt and is wired into the Power Distribution box. This cable will have to be replaced and a 240v Power distribution box fitted. This leave the cables from the new distribution box to the Fridge and Microwave to be replaced.
I will have keep the 110v cable for the connection to the Inverter to A/c, with a inline fuse/breaker fitted.
The question is can the 110v cables to both the Microwave and Fridge from the power dist box be used or must they be replaced?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances Richards View Post
Hi Vince,
Yes the fuse box has been replaced with a 240volt on based on Australian standards and has two separate fuses as well as a main fuse. One fuse is wired to the 240v power cables and outlets have been replaced with the standard Aussie type.
A 240volt cable goes from the other fuse to power the step down inverter. The power outlet cable from the from the inverter is 110volt and is wired into the Power Distribution box. This cable will have to be replaced and a 240v Power distribution box fitted. This leave the cables from the new distribution box to the Fridge and Microwave to be replaced.
I will have keep the 110v cable for the connection to the Inverter to A/c, with a inline fuse/breaker fitted.
The question is can the 110v cables to both the Microwave and Fridge from the power dist box be used or must they be replaced?
Someone else offered the cable used almost always is rated to 600 volt. That's plenty of rating especially since the current at 2X the orig voltage will be 1/2 of the orig installation. That's a good thing. I noted the JB's because some had big problems with sloppy connections (hidden cables melting, honest). I checked my own boxes and found were good. Whatever you do check some of your cables and confirm the rating, more important check with you local Elec. codes and make sure you're planning is in compliance. If something does go wrong you'll have insurance! Have fun!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote