Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Sunseeker

Converter/charger issues

I have a Forrest River 2014 Sunseeker 3170ds. I believe the converter has failed. The unit has a WF 8930/50 distribution center and manuals that I have for the unit shows a WF 9800 series converter. The problem is I can’t find the converter anywhere in the camper. Pulled the distr. center out and it has a 120v receptacle in the back but no converter is plugged in. The distr. center wiring diagram has heavy gage red and white cables to the battery + and - and shows a third red cable from the converter. I have 120v to the camper when plugged in to shore power, just no 12v to the battery. Where might I find that elusive converter. Since it’s not working, I don’t hear the fan kicking in or out so I can’t trace it’s location with my ears. Any ideas?
Thanx!
wingunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Does anything 12 volt work (lights, radio, etc)? Or is it just the battery not charging?
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingunder View Post
I have a Forrest River 2014 Sunseeker 3170ds. I believe the converter has failed. The unit has a WF 8930/50 distribution center and manuals that I have for the unit shows a WF 9800 series converter. The problem is I can’t find the converter anywhere in the camper. Pulled the distr. center out and it has a 120v receptacle in the back but no converter is plugged in. The distr. center wiring diagram has heavy gage red and white cables to the battery + and - and shows a third red cable from the converter. I have 120v to the camper when plugged in to shore power, just no 12v to the battery. Where might I find that elusive converter. Since it’s not working, I don’t hear the fan kicking in or out so I can’t trace it’s location with my ears. Any ideas?
Thanx!
i would start at the power distribution center and follow the "third red cable" (which may be yellow or orange) from there to wherever it goes. According to WFCO the 9800 series converters are "Deck Mount" units and it could be anywhere the installer found space. It will have + and - wires connecting it to the power center as well as a 120 volt power source. It might also be possible to trace the 120 volt wire from the converter breaker in the panel to the converter itself.

I had a trailer years ago that had the converter hidden in a small space under a shelf below the kitchen sink. Barely big enough for the converter itself. Frustrating but it's in there somewhere

While searching it might be a good idea to check battery disconnect (if equipped with one) and resettable circuit breaker not far from the battery on the positive wire on it's way to the power center. Both common problems with "no battery charge".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Sunseeker

Nothing 12v, coach related functions. The coach battery is drained. BTW, I just replaced the coach battery 2 weeks ago. Everything 12v related worked when I installed that battery, but unknown to me, it wasn’t charging and now is flat! I need to find the converter so I can confirm it’s failure.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Nothing 12v, coach related functions. The coach battery is drained. BTW, I just replaced the coach battery 2 weeks ago. Everything 12v related worked when I installed that battery, but unknown to me, it wasn’t charging and now is flat! I need to find the converter so I can confirm it’s failure.
It's usually behind the fuse/breaker panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
Sunseeker

Been there, not to be found.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #7

As TitanMike said, follow the wire from the breaker labeled "converter" to its hiding place.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:39 PM   #8
Sunseeker

Illusive Converter

Many thanx to all who replied. Acting on just a hunch, I found the converter. It was in an outside compartment where all the utilities (plumbing valves, shore power cable storage) are located. There on an interior wall was the converter. I checked the fuses and they both were ok. It started raining so I had to quit diagnosing. I will put a meter on it tomorrow, but I’m sure the converter is toast. Thanx again for the help!!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Site Team

I hope you come back and tell us what the problem was. Can help others, especially me as I'm experiencing the same thing now.
Quote:
Many thanx to all who replied. Acting on just a hunch, I found the converter. It was in an outside compartment where all the utilities (plumbing valves, shore power cable storage) are located. There on an interior wall was the converter. I checked the fuses and they both were ok. It started raining so I had to quit diagnosing. I will put a meter on it tomorrow, but I’m sure the converter is toast. Thanx again for the help!!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I hope you come back and tell us what the problem was. Can help others, especially me as I'm experiencing the same thing now.
Turned out to be the converter as I suspected. 12 v output was nada! Got a new converter yesterday and am in the process of installing it as we speak��
Old 04-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Thank you. I pretty much determined my converter is bad today

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter