Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Converter Inverter Charging procedures

I would like to get the most out of my batteries (2 6V in series) 400 Ah
and when dry camping I plug into my inverter directly as if plugged into shore power.
The problem is the charging of the batteries from the batteries by the 3 stage converter.
By simply disconnecting the power to the batteries by way of a switch is that the best way to take care of the problem??

Also,...I would like to charge the batteries from my generator and from reading previous posts it seems that I can charge the batteries while still being plugged into the inverter is that correct?

Any ideas would be appreciated
trubornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

What is the make and model of your batteries?
A 400 AH 6Volt battery is pretty awesome.

What is the make, model and size of your inverter?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, DC watts = AC watts
Potentially, if you plug the shore power cable into the inverter, you could draw 30 amps x 120 volts AC = 3600 watts from the inverter.

However, that means you could conceivably draw 3600 watts from the battery bank.

3600 watts divided by 12 volts is 300 AMPS DC. I am not even sure how huge the battery cables would need to be between your battery bank and inverter to carry that load.

Additionally, pulling any where near those amps would destroy your batteries in short order as you can see from these graphs.

Since your converter would be trying to charge your batteries while being powered by the batteries, a disconnect switch between the camper and the batteries would be required. The inverter circuit would have to have a large capacity fuse between the batteries and the inverter.

If the shore power is plugged into the generator, you would have to close the disconnect switch in order to charge your batteries.

You would be better served to have dedicated Inverter circuits (separate from the shore power AC circuits) so you could control what was plugged into them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5439   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	5440   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery Life as a function of charge discharge cycles.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5441  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Actually I believe that I only have 210 ah of battery power
I am running a Schumacher 2000w 4000w peak inverter

I was concearned that not sending a charge to the converter was bad for it? but outweighs the problem with the power circiling

I do need a fuse between the power for the inverter do you have a reccommendation on size manufac?

If I wired some outlets directly from the inverter dont I need power to start the gas water heater or refridge(running on gas)?...co detector
Seems like a good way to eliminate phantom power
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quoted:
Actually I believe that I only have 210 ah of battery power
I am running a Schumacher 2000w 4000w peak inverter

I was concearned that not sending a charge to the converter was bad for it? but outweighs the problem with the power circiling

The power converter converts AC power to all the DC required to run your camper AND charge your batteries. If your batteries are not connected, they just won't be charged and all 55 amps or so available from your converter will go to any house usage.

I do need a fuse between the power for the inverter do you have a reccommendation on size manufac?

You darn well better! A 2000 watt inverter should have a 200 or 250 amp inline fuse in the red wire to the battery.

If I wired some outlets directly from the inverter dont I need power to start the gas water heater or refridge(running on gas)?...co detector
Seems like a good way to eliminate phantom power
The newer gas water heaters only use 12VDC to run the computer board and the ignition spark (maybe an amp or 2). The fridge on gas uses about 2.2 amps if I recall correctly. The Propane detector draws about 200 ma (0.2 amps).

Not sure what "Phantom Power" is unless you are talking about his two Colt 45s.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

You would be better served to have dedicated Inverter circuits (separate from the shore power AC circuits) so you could control what was plugged into them.

Talked to the stealer tech today and he said that I can install a 10 or 15 amp circuit breaker on the DC side of the converter and isolate the charging of the battery and just shut off the circuit when running off of the inverter.

First of all is this what your'e talking about?
and the WFCO 8900 series converter wire that I would need to run through this circuit breaker is off of the left or the right side of the main board?

The tech believes that the the one I need to isolate is the black coming from the let side that is wire nutted together. does this sound right?
seems like the charging of the battery is coming off the right side of the converter.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubornot View Post
I totally agree and my camper is rewired (by me) that way.

Quote:
Talked to the stealer tech today and he said that I can install a 10 or 15 amp circuit breaker on the DC side of the converter and isolate the charging of the battery and just shut off the circuit when running off of the inverter.

and the WFCO 8900 series converter wire that I would need to run through this circuit breaker is off of the left or the right side of the main board?
I read this many times and have no idea what this means. Any help from the lurkers welcome here. Is "stealer" Dealer? Why tap the inverter off a converter with a max DC output of 55 amps total draw?

Quote:
The tech believes that the the one I need to isolate is the black coming from the let side that is wire nutted together. does this sound right? seems like the charging of the battery is coming off the right side of the converter.
My inverter is wired directly to the battery (and it should be). You should fuse protect it for the max DC amps you expect it to draw at full AC amp output. Use a Marine on/off switch to disable the inverter, if it does not have a on/off switch of its own.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

yes the stealer is the dealer
for example that 250 amp fuse you reccomended at the dealer is 11.99 with a napa box!!
at napa directly it is 6.99 thats a 100% markup
you meantioned that you have your converter hooked up with a breaker
which wire did you use for it?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
you meantioned that you have your converter hooked up with a breaker which wire did you use for it?
I did not say it was hooked up to the converter.

It is hooked up directly to the batteries (within 18 inches is best to keep the wire size reasonable).