Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #1

Converter Problems after 220 accident

I accidentally ran a 220 to the 2003 Pilgrim camper instead of 110. I have a WFCO 8955 power system in. I am pretty sure I blew the converter. BUT I also do not have air conditioning nor water heater. but I have everything else in the outlets; i.e. microwave, fridge, bedroom plugins. I bought an entirely brand new 8955 to install and a thermostat and air conditioning board/controller that goes in the ceiling. Will this solve my problems and get everything back to normal??
pabeyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Looks like you--------------

Looks like you got the 12 VOLT supply plus battery charger.

You will need to replace the 12 Volt converter and charger.

www.bestconverter.com

POWER MAX CONVERTER PM4B45MBA

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

THis is what I bought

Is this everything I need? I bought the entire replacement.

Brown Wfco WF 8955 RV Power Center Converter 55 Amp | eBay
Old 07-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your a/c will be separate damage.
You only need the converter portion NOT the whole panel.
Its a pita to change out whole panel.
Converter alone takes less than 30minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130726_133759.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	36236

Converter just comes right out of the bottom.

Fyi I wouldn't replace it with another wfco.
I'd install a progressive dynamics brands converter. Wfco has a big failure rate.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabeyta View Post
Is this everything I need? I bought the entire replacement.

Brown Wfco WF 8955 RV Power Center Converter 55 Amp | eBay
Imo return it and just get the converter.
All those wires have to be labeled and installed in the same place.
Your looking at a 2 hour install with whole panel.

Turbs
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

What would have caused my water heater to keep throwing the breaker after this 220 connection incident? I replaced the air conditioner component in the ceiling. Would this not have something to do with the unit going out? I know that blew the converter. But what else would I need to replace to make:
The water heater quit throwing the breaker (which it did stop but now the water heater will not work)
The air conditioner unit quit, no power to it, I replaced the entire board in the ceiling.

And none of the lights work, which I assume is directly because of the converter.

But I am at a loss as to what else I can replace.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wh gas and electric?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Electric
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Electric
Did you check resets?

Btw a/c needs 12v and 110volt to run.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Was your air conditioner or electric side of your water heater turned on when you hooked up to 220/240?

Is your Air conditioner controlled by thermostat that also controls the heater?

Your water heater will also work off of propane gas. If it's throwing the breaker when you turn on the heating element, it sounds like you may have burned the element out....which could have happened if the water heater's electric switch was on when you hooked to 220/240 volts. If you have the Suburban brand water heater, turn off the heating element for now to see if your breaker quits tripping.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #11

Not sure which resets to check. I bought this from my mother and everything worked great until we took it to the location it is now, the guy connecting the electric pulled two legs instead of just one and then all these problems came up. I know I have GFI resets in some of the outlets but all of the outlets are working. The water heater would just throw the breaker after about 20-20 seconds. Electrician kept resetting it and after about 5 or 6 resets (of the breaker) it stopped throwing the breaker but was not heating water. So, the real problem is why it was throwing the breaker and the A/C not coming on now.

So, I am pretty dumb to this camper (2003 Pilgrim) but a relatively smart person. I just do not know what all I could have wrong and what all needs to be replaced. All fuses in the WFCO are good. I am just extremely confused. As far as I know, replace the WFCO main converter/breaker system, and replace the A/C board. I would assume that would fix it. The electrical outside is good and approved by real electricians. They are the ones who told me to get the new A/C board.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #12

Water heater probably was. I cannot remember if the A/C was. I don't think it was but I all the breakers were on. It immediately threw some of them. Would it have ruined the breakers?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

Yes, WMTIRE, the thermostat controls both. I also replaced that component on the wall (thermostat)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hope your "electrician" friend is covering the costs?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #15

At this point, I will accept that the element is bad on the water heater. I will replace that as well in the morning. But what about the A/C?

The water heater is new(ish) and is electric only.

I put the new board in up top at the advice of the electrician for the A/C
Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #16

That one guy covered some of the costs but not for me paying the real electricians to come out here.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure which resets to check. I bought this from my mother and everything worked great until we took it to the location it is now, the guy connecting the electric pulled two legs instead of just one and then all these problems came up. I know I have GFI resets in some of the outlets but all of the outlets are working. The water heater would just throw the breaker after about 20-20 seconds. Electrician kept resetting it and after about 5 or 6 resets (of the breaker) it stopped throwing the breaker but was not heating water. So, the real problem is why it was throwing the breaker and the A/C not coming on now.

So, I am pretty dumb to this camper (2003 Pilgrim) but a relatively smart person. I just do not know what all I could have wrong and what all needs to be replaced. All fuses in the WFCO are good. I am just extremely confused. As far as I know, replace the WFCO main converter/breaker system, and replace the A/C board. I would assume that would fix it. The electrical outside is good and approved by real electricians. They are the ones who told me to get the new A/C board.
If your heating element is burned up, then it can keep tripping the breaker to the water heater. Turn the electric heating element switch off...... and if you have a Suburban water heater, this switch may be hidden.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

You can run the water heater off of propane......as long as you have DC power.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

The water heater is new(ish) and is electric only.
OK, Just read that post. What brand/model water heater do you have?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #19

Unfortunately I do not know at this point. I am at my office and when I get home this evening I will check. I am the proud owner of a new divorce so this Pilgrim is my home until I know how much life she is going to suck out of me. I have a good job and the money to replace these things. I just do not want to needlessly replace something. I can accept the element being bad and can replace that in the morning. The A/C issue is what I cannot figure out.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Btw a/c needs 12v and 110volt to run.
As Turbs pointed out, you will need both for the AC to function. The thermostat is most likely DC powered.

Have you actually replaced the converter yet? Do you have any battery/DC power, if not hooked to shore power?

Tags
accident, converter