Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #1

Converter Replacement Suggestions

Hello. Looking to replace my bad WFCO WF-9855. I have heard many bad things about the Chinese made WF-9855 and would like to look at better converters for a direct replacement. In your opinions what would be a better made replacement for this converter? I can purchase the WF-9855, but I would love to have a better made replacement. Thanks to All
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #2

Had that converter. Installed this one. Can work with lithium via the button.

RV Inteli-Power 9200 Series Converter/Charger 60 Amp Progressive Dy PD PD9260-CV

Seems faster. Seems better.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:46 PM   #3

Ok thank you for the reply. I'll check that on out. I can putthe original brand back in, but why not upgrade. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #4

Was it a plug and play or did you have to adapt to work? Thanks
Old 08-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #5

Just two big wires and a ground. Be careful do not reverse the lines.

Then the converter plugs into a wall socket typically.

Operation of the converter is easy to check. Just plug into shore power.

Use your voltmeter and measure voltage at the battery. The converter is likely 3 or 4 voltage model. Trickle 13.1, 13.4, 13.8 amd 14 or so, Depending on the battery condition. I assume you know it takes these converters days to fully charge a near dead battery. Starts out a 55 amps as I remember and goes down as the battery charges.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #6

Check out this company and give them a call. Good prices and even better customer service. I called them up a few times for different projects and received excellent advice and help. I talked with Randy several times.
https://www.bestconverter.com/
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:45 PM   #7

Maybe I'm lucky? My WFCO WF-9855 is now 18 years old and working fine. The converter inside is really the only "working" part, the rest is just wiring.

-- Chuck
Old 08-13-2022, 03:27 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

I went with Progressive Dynamics model that is made to replace/upgrade that exact WFCO unit (4600 series PD units). It includes a replacement 12v fuse panel with their intelligent smart charger control button on the board. Also has red LEDs to tell you when a fuse is blown, no more guessing. It's a pretty simple install, just disconnect AC power (unplug the RV) and disconnect the 12v negative wire at the battery. They come in both the standard battery models and a newer version that is lithium compatible (switchable for battery type). The standard battery model is less expensive if you don't plan on using lithium, but the lithium model works just fine with the wet cell and AGM batteries.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

Search for the "Progressive Dynamics PD4655v" on Youtube and there are a lot of videos of actual installs. E-trailer has a good video on the unit in general, but their YouTube video cannot be externally linked to play, but it shows up in a Youtube search.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #9

Another vote here for Progressive Dynamics. Two travel trailers here and when I found out how long it took the WFCO converter to charge 2 6-volt GC batteries, I upgraded to Progressive Dynamics and it is much faster charging. It also has built in equalizing charging function for deep cycle lead-acid batteries, WFCO does not.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
Retired Old Fart

I forgot to say that the Progressive Dynamics units are totally automatic. You do not have to do anything, no button pushing, no switches, no nothing. Once installed it will automatically maintain your batteries including equalization. The Smart Wizard on the DC fuse panel will let you manually change the charge state if you need to, but otherwise it's all automatic.

Also the Progressive Dynamics units are AMERICAN MADE!!!! Not Chinese.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #11
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Another vote here for Progressive Dynamics. Two travel trailers here and when I found out how long it took the WFCO converter to charge 2 6-volt GC batteries, I upgraded to Progressive Dynamics and it is much faster charging. It also has built in equalizing charging function for deep cycle lead-acid batteries, WFCO does not.
X3.
When our WFCO went out I went to PD and upped the wattage. They make a great converter.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:37 PM   #12

Wow, looks like most go with the PD for a replacement. I try and upgrade everything I can as they fail, considering the junk parts these things are composed of. Thank you guys, I'll start pricing some of the recommendations.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:54 PM   #13

I have installed and used both PD and Boondocker converters. Both are definite upgrades and perform great but I find myself preferring Boondocker. No particular reason, I just like the look and feel of the Boondocker. I also feel it charges up my batteries a little quicker, but no data to support that theory.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #14

The Boondocker look to be a good product. Right now I have a positive, negative, and ground going to my converter. From there it plugs into the back of my fuse/breaker panel. Is that how the Boondocker converters are or do you have to adapt them? Thanks
Old 08-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #15

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #16

Thank you for the reply.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramic71 View Post
The Boondocker look to be a good product. Right now I have a positive, negative, and ground going to my converter. From there it plugs into the back of my fuse/breaker panel. Is that how the Boondocker converters are or do you have to adapt them? Thanks
Exactly the same install. Both PD and Boondocker are exact replacements as far as connecting.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #18
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramic71 View Post
These converters and pretty much plug and play. install will be no problem, unless your converter is in an inaccessible place. Like you have to lay on your back, twist around, and then go inverted to reach the connections.

Or you can just add a new chuck of wire. Make sure you use the correct gage.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #19
Retired Old Fart

Another suggestion....

If you don't already have a plug in power EMS for your trailer (you did not say what trailer you have), take a look behind your converter and fuse panel and see if you have room to mount a hard wired model. I did, and it's a good time to take care of both upgrades if you are already working on the WFCO replacement.

Look at the Progressive Industries hard wired models. They come in both 30amp and 50amp version (like I said, not sure what trailer you have), and they are pretty easy to install.

They replace those plug in units that people are concerned about "walking off" as they are pretty expensive. Does the exact same thing as a plug in version, just mounted inside the trailer out of sight and you have a small remote display to look at for the information.

Again check Youtube for Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C (30 amp version) and you will see how easy it is to install. The only difference between the 30 amp and 50 amp versions is the number of wires. The process is the same.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c
Old 08-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #20

call these guy up on monday and ask them what to do.

https://www.bestconverter.com/
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, replacement