Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #61
MarchBrown

I posted the original thread and have decided to install the Progressive Dynamics 9260 converter at the front of my unit and disconnect the WFCO 8955 from the back of the unit leaving my breaker board in the back connected through the original awg 8 wire. The cost is somewhat more than running a new #2 wire from the back and using the WFCO converter, but from what I've heard the Progressive converter is a much better all around unit, and the price difference was only a little over $100. Thanks for all the feed back. Dave Smith
davesmith26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith26 View Post
I posted the original thread and have decided to install the Progressive Dynamics 9260 converter at the front of my unit and disconnect the WFCO 8955 from the back of the unit leaving my breaker board in the back connected through the original awg 8 wire. The cost is somewhat more than running a new #2 wire from the back and using the WFCO converter, but from what I've heard the Progressive converter is a much better all around unit, and the price difference was only a little over $100. Thanks for all the feed back. Dave Smith
It's exactly what I did. Well worth it. Just have to run a 120V AC cord to the back.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #63

The pull tabs I save for a friend and the ointment was an antibiotic cream that I had just put on a finger on the other hand that got too close to a cut off wheel. I wish I was having as much fun as everyone thought. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #64

I admit electrical talk confuses the hell out of me. I also have to admit that this is one of the very few times that I'm chiming in on a thread without reading through all of the responses. So, with both points taken into consideration, I thought there cannot possibly be a better answer to the OP's questions than post 11 on page one from Jim and Renee!

Being an electrical dork, I thought that post was easy to read, well explained, and well laid out.

One question I have is I thought you determine watts multiplying amps x volts. J&R posted amps x 10?

Nice post-Jim & Renee, and a very good conversation overall with great input again from the community.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I admit electrical talk confuses the hell out of me. I also have to admit that this is one of the very few times that I'm chiming in on a thread without reading through all of the responses. So, with both points taken into consideration, I thought there cannot possibly be a better answer to the OP's questions than post 11 on page one from Jim and Renee!
Fortunately, the OP went with the converter next to the batteries. Post #11 said that increasing wire gauge would only save a few minutes of charging which is incorrect.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #66

To far from batt's question

Hi i have a question
i posted something here back a couple pages
it was sorta a question with what i did
Old 05-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #67

Thumbs up

Quote:
IMO very smart, did you get the wizard so you can put it in bulk mode when you want at 14.6 volts, they work very well, also the boondocker is very good, you will be happy you got rid of that WFCO, cheap units that take forever to charge your house batteries,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #68
MarchBrown

For some reason the pendant didn't come with the converter, although I was under the impression that if you purchased the Progressive Dynamics 9260cv from Amazon the pendant was included, so I sent them a note to see if I could get one without paying another fee.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #69

Quote:
For some reason the pendant didn't come with the converter, although I was under the impression that if you purchased the Progressive Dynamics 9260cv from Amazon the pendant was included, so I sent them a note to see if I could get one without paying another fee.
Try it without it. It will still start in bulk mode and since it is very close to the battery, it should stay for awhile.

The pendant shows you the mode the charger is in and can manually force it into bulk if it falls out of it. Your charger has the charge wizard built in but that doesn't mean it comes with a pendant. The 9100 series converters needs the expensive charge wizard pendant which is around $60. The one you need is around $20.

A lot of people are not aware of how bulk mode works. It's not a constant 14.4V. It is a constant current mode where it stays in until the voltage gets up to 14.4V and then it goes into its 13.6V(normal-absorption) mode. During bulk it will do as much current as it can up to the current capacity of your charger(60A) but will be limited by what your batteries can accept. For 2 golf cart batteries, that would be around 40A.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #70
MarchBrown

I would like to thank everyone for their input. A lot to learn! But as it says on my refrigerator, "true humility is staying teachable regardless of how much you already know"
Old 05-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP View Post
i have a inverter im installing
i see the GFI braker is the gfi the actual wall socket or is it the braker in the box ??
i want to run my 110 TV through my inverter but GFI Braker controls all the wall Outlets ???
BooBoo... The GFI breaker is in the plug ...but that plug ALSO serves as the breaker for all ACplugs "downsteam" of it. You can figure that out pretty quickly with a tester or a lamp as you reset that GFI breake. Now the whole line of plugs including the GFI are also on a MAIN breaker at your AC breaker panel. Again...you can figure this out with a tester or a lamp plugged in to your GFI breaker. Both breakers....main and gfi...must be on and working to get AC anywhere on the line of plugs.
As to RUNNING your TV off your inverter... you need a direct connection when you are boondocking since the inverter will be drawing from the battery. Most inverters are used to power fridges and nothing else...but if your inverter is like this..you can install a power strip to provide access for other things and plug the fridge and TV into that PROVIDED you have enough wattage and battery reserves to run both.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #72

I had a wfco and it never went into bulk mode even with nearly dead batteries. Per the mfg testing recommendations it was working fine, BS! I removed it and got a IOTA, a lot better converter.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter