Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

CPAP and battery usage while dry camping

Planning for future trips where we will not have shore power and will be dry camping. Longest we would most likely be dry camping would be 3-4 nights. I use a Phillips Dreamstation CPAP machine. I recently discovered they sell a dc power cord for the CPAP machine, and our roo 21dk TT has a 12V cigarette lighter port. My question is how quickly will it drain the battery in our TT while dry camping? Our TT only has one marine/rv battery. The CPAP machine says it uses 7-10 AH overnight. Would it help to add a 2nd battery to the camper? Or should I look into some type of power pack like the link below?
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1...ter-62747.html
Of course this would require figuring out a way to recharge the power pack while dry camping. Trying to best prepare for the future of dry camping and have officially went down the rabbit hole of generators, solar, battery banks etc. Any help is appreciated, my head is spinning.
jdaddy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

People do both, but I promote adding battery capacity to the trailer. It'll be cheaper than any standalone solution. Either need recharging when you get home. Keep adding capacity till your batteries last how long you need them. If that gets unweildly, add some way to charge them.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

My wife uses her CPAP when we dry camp. She can go a couple of nights if she doesn't use the humidifier/water heater in the CPAP machine. We used to carry a stand alone battery just for her CPAP. Now we have solar panels which recharge every day and we are no longer limited. Consider a portable solar panel to recharge you trailer battery (s) as an option each day.
Al
Old 06-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #4

I would also go with more battery. My DW uses a CPAP (ResMed Airsense 10) and as long as she doesn't have the heater turned on we seem to get a pretty low draw out of it (specs say around 4 amps/hr but our actual draw down was roughly half that). We also added 200W of solar so when camping in sunny SoCal, we have plenty of power for her CPAP and all the normal stuff (lights, radio, charging phones, etc).

I found an interesting document on the ResMed site for battery sizing. Maybe you could look at the specs for your CPAP and cross reference. Here's a link to the document
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaddy33 View Post
Planning for future trips where we will not have shore power and will be dry camping. Longest we would most likely be dry camping would be 3-4 nights. I use a Phillips Dreamstation CPAP machine. I recently discovered they sell a dc power cord for the CPAP machine, and our roo 21dk TT has a 12V cigarette lighter port. My question is how quickly will it drain the battery in our TT while dry camping? Our TT only has one marine/rv battery. The CPAP machine says it uses 7-10 AH overnight. Would it help to add a 2nd battery to the camper? Or should I look into some type of power pack like the link below?
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1...ter-62747.html
Of course this would require figuring out a way to recharge the power pack while dry camping. Trying to best prepare for the future of dry camping and have officially went down the rabbit hole of generators, solar, battery banks etc. Any help is appreciated, my head is spinning.
I purchased the Philips Respironics Shielded DC Cord for DreamStation CPAP from Amazon.

The 18ah lead-acid power pack above may not be big enough.

If you go with solar, you can get a tax rebate on the "generators, solar, battery banks." If they are all part of a solar system.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #6

I have run mine successfully on two 6v GC2 batteries and I do run the humidifier all night AFTER RUNNING THE 32inch smart TV til midnight. Both on 12 v direct. By morning at worst we were down to 12.2 or 12.3 volts. Could do it for multiple days as the solar always topped the batteries to 100% by 10 or 11am most days.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #7

Just returned from camping with a CPAP

I spent two nights this week camping with an Airsense 10 with humidifier and heated tubing. I ran it off a 40 AH Lithium batter (fits in a ammo can). I measured the current it took to recharge it and is was 22 AH per night, so for my system a Group 24 battery would be totally dead in three nights. Most likely not usable in two nights.

I have two Group 24 batteries and use 200 Watts of solar to recharge during the day. If the sun is out my batteries are recharged in 4-6 hours. This includes the furnace runs in 20-30F night time temps.

Having a separate CPAP battery can be expensive and only lasts one night without a recharge (with all heaters turned on).

I like what I have and it works for me. My panels are movable and I move them to track the sun. Panels mounted on your roof are worthless if you camp in the trees (which I do)
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #8

I have the same CPAP machine. I purchased the 12VDC power cord for about $25 on-line, then I use my 1200A jump box (Schumaker, Walmart, $80, that has a 12V plug built in. With turning off the humidifier heater and hose heater, I can get 10-14 days of use. I now have a jump box to start the truck if needed and CPAP use. Works great. The jump box also has 2 USB ports to charge the phones.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #9

I have a Resmed System I. I don't use the humidifier when dry camping. I also purchased a battery pack designed for my unit. Each morning in my truck I plug it into a inverter plugged into trucks 12vt outlet. Takes a couple hours to recharge but works great. Maybe not the best setup but when I bought it it was the best cost effective option for me.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #10

Check this link out for a backup for your CPAP. Both my wife and I use these and they are great. https://www.amazon.com/Aeiusny-Porta.../dp/B07WXGQZWG
Barney-fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

I need the humidification tank and heated tube. I installed a SnuggleHose Cover on my CPAP hose to insulate the heated hose. I left the last couple of inches bare for the hose sensor to work. I also use a 12v adapter in my RV to keep power consumption low.

If I am used to sleeping with moist warm air at home, how am I going to sleep without it? I hate condensation or 'rain' in the mask.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post

If I am used to sleeping with moist warm air at home, how am I going to sleep without it? I hate condensation or 'rain' in the mask.

I had never experienced the "rain in the mask" phenomenon until last year while camping in October, and it got pretty cold one night. We didn't turn on the furnace, and it got down into the upper 50's inside the camper. We were on shore power, so running the humidifier was not an issue for me.

All of a sudden, I must have rolled over or something, but all of a sudden, I was drowning!! Coughing, choking, nose was burning from the water going up my nose, it was HORRIBLE!! Thought I was dying!! Pulled my mask off, and water went everywhere!!

Now I understand why some have heated hoses. My cpap does not. It's funny now, but at the time...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

There is typically too much humidity in trailer in NE areas I camp. No need for extra moisture or extra energy consumption with my CPAP. I MIGHT do passive humidification, fill tank, don't use heated hose or tank heat.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
rbq

Once you use a heated hose it is hard to go without one if you sleep in cooler areas. Eliminates getting a face wash in the night or listening to water gurgle in the hose. We camp at higher elevation, (8-10000 ft), so nights get cold. I use an AGM battery as a stand alone that will last me about 3 nights with hose & humidifier off. Since we live in a drier climate it does tend to dry me out. I also installed a 12 volt plug by my bed so that I can plug into the house batteries if I want or need to. Been camping for about 14 years with a CPAP. Can't live without it now.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

Me neither, gotta have it! Been so long out of arid climates, I can't remember what it was like! Humidity is my nemesis here. Live in a valley. Goes to almost 100% humidity every night.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I had never experienced the "rain in the mask" phenomenon until last year while camping in October, and it got pretty cold one night. We didn't turn on the furnace, and it got down into the upper 50's inside the camper. We were on shore power, so running the humidifier was not an issue for me.

All of a sudden, I must have rolled over or something, but all of a sudden, I was drowning!! Coughing, choking, nose was burning from the water going up my nose, it was HORRIBLE!! Thought I was dying!! Pulled my mask off, and water went everywhere!!

Now I understand why some have heated hoses. My cpap does not. It's funny now, but at the time...
I found if the room gets below 62F, I get rain in my mask.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #17

DW and I both use CPAPs. We live in FL, so humidity is not a problem. We use humidifiers at home but forget to refill them more often than not. When camping, we don't bother. Consider a HumidX humidity exchanger if humidity is important to you. I've used a HumidX Plus on my AirMini, and am satisfied.

We've been dry camping with 2 Group 27 batteries as the 12V source for the trailer. I added an additional 12V outlet near the bed, and used a 12V 2-in-1 splitter to serve both CPAPs. It works well.

Get 2 and use in parallel. If housed in a trolling motor battery case, they can serve the dual purpose of being a battery backup at home in case of power failure. Take it/them off the camper when in storage. Keep it/them in your garage on a trickle charge like a Battery Buddy.

Use a DC converter for your CPAP rather than an AC inverter some people may recommend. The DC converter is much more efficient in terms of battery consumption.

I have a Honda EU2000i to recharge the batteries and to run the AC (only) when required. Ideally, we camp where we don't need AC, if we don't have shore power.

What I didn't have in the past, and recommend now, is a battery monitor that measures amperage. They are superior to a volt meter, which is accurate only if you shut off all loads and wait for the surface charge to dissipate. You can get a cheap monitor for under $50, e.g., AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter. Some will say they're inaccurate, but they're a lot more accurate than depending on a volt meter.

We're on a different trailer and use 2 GC2 6V batteries in parallel (correction: series). I no longer have a CPAP battery backup for use at home. That's a concern for hurricane season in Florida, so I have to figure out an alternative.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
We're on a different trailer and use 2 GC2 6V batteries in parallel. I no longer have a CPAP battery backup for use at home. That's a concern for hurricane season in Florida, so I have to figure out an alternative.
I am assuming you mistyped "and use 2 GC2 6V batteries in parallel". These should be in series to make 12 volts. Unless your CPAP is only 6 volts.

I like your hookup otherwise.
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I am assuming you mistyped "and use 2 GC2 6V batteries in parallel". These should be in series to make 12 volts. Unless your CPAP is only 6 volts.

I like your hookup otherwise.
Yes. Thanks for catching the error. We now use 2 6V GC2s in series. I used to have 2 12V Group 27s in parallel.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
We're on a different trailer and use 2 GC2 6V batteries in parallel (correction: series). I no longer have a CPAP battery backup for use at home. That's a concern for hurricane season in Florida, so I have to figure out an alternative.
Still have my big dual purpose 12v 'marine' batt I got from Tractor Supply almost ten years ago for tent camping. Hasn't seen a tent in years, sits in a cheap NOCO battery box on floor next to my nightstand at home with a smart charger on it most the time and has worked out fine for those middle of the night power outages. Takes just a minute to change from the A/C cord to the D/C cord. I wonder how long a battery can actually last that is kept wet, kept charged, and has minimal charge cycles?

Tags
battery, camping, dry camping