RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

CPAP machine

What is best way to operate a CPAP when dry camping? We only dry camp about 15% of the time so do not want to spend over $1000.
Sunbumjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

My CPAP draws less than 2 amps, i.e. low power needed. You can get a small 12Vdc to 110Vac inverter on amazon, here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Bapdas-Power-...%2C264&sr=8-26

You will need to run a wire from the battery bank to a location next to your bed; I suggest 14 awg 2 conductor wire which can be gotten at any hardware store. This wire size will handle the amperage needed to power the inverter to run your CPAP.

You will also need a cigaret style plug such as: https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Mot...%2C269&sr=8-27 for the plug on the inverter.

Now you can plug the inverter into the adapter and your CPAP into the inverter. You will need to insure your battery bank has enough power to run the CPAP all night and a way to recharge your battery bank. Another option is a larger inverter but they are more expensive. If only need is to run the CPAP than the small inverter will work just fine.

I like to run the microwave and coffee maker so have a 2000 watt inverter; so, think about what all you want to run that requires 110Vac and get the appropriate inverter. Hope this helps.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

If it is available for your model of CPAP, avoid the inverter and get a DC power supply (typically have the cigarette lighter plug). Most CPAPs run on DC power, so doing a DC-AC-DC conversion has higher efficiency losses.
My AirSense is actually 24VDC, so the DC power supply boosts the 12VDC from the battery up to 24VDC.
Avoid running the humidifier or heated hose...these gobble up power.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Head Rambler

It really depends on which CPAP you have, but they make 12 volt power adapters/cords for most brands. Some brands run natively on 12 volts so all you need if you have one of those is a 12 volt cord set. It also depends on whether you use a humidifier on your CPAP. The humidifier uses a good deal more power than just the machine.

I agree with KJ, run a 12 volt receptacle (or two) to the bed area from the batteries and use that to run the CPAP.

If you use a humidifier I would recommend having two group 27 or larger batteries as a battery bank if you need to run the CPAP more than one night. Adding a battery if you don't already have two, is not very expensive, and running a couple of 12 volt receptacles to the bedroom isn't very expensive either.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlars View Post
My CPAP draws less than 2 amps, i.e. low power needed. You can get a small 12Vdc to 110Vac inverter on amazon, here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Bapdas-Power-...%2C264&sr=8-26

You will need to run a wire from the battery bank to a location next to your bed; I suggest 14 awg 2 conductor wire which can be gotten at any hardware store. This wire size will handle the amperage needed to power the inverter to run your CPAP.

You will also need a cigaret style plug such as: https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Mot...%2C269&sr=8-27 for the plug on the inverter.

Now you can plug the inverter into the adapter and your CPAP into the inverter. You will need to insure your battery bank has enough power to run the CPAP all night and a way to recharge your battery bank. Another option is a larger inverter but they are more expensive. If only need is to run the CPAP than the small inverter will work just fine.

I like to run the microwave and coffee maker so have a 2000 watt inverter; so, think about what all you want to run that requires 110Vac and get the appropriate inverter. Hope this helps.
Yes ^^^^

Have had a 12V outlet installed by the bed in both my TT and 5th. Have had 12V to 110V adapters for all my machines (on 3rd one). Also have a generator to assure the battery gets recharged so CPAP machine keeps going all night.

When boondocking during deer hunting w/DD, she gets a little excited when the CPAP happens to stop running during the night!

I don't know about all of you, but I can't sleep without it so naps are out with an average of about 6 1/2 hours a night no matter what time I go to bed.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #6

I'm with you, the $1000 option was not one that would work for me, couldn't justify it. So I searched and searched and this is what I found.

I do one dry camping trip a year on my motorcycle in a tent with my CPAP with the humidifier turned off. I have been using this unit since 2015 and can typically get 3 or 4 nights out of it at 6.5 to 8 hours a night. I highly recommend it, it has been super reliable for me and comes with all kinds of connectors so you can use it when not camping with so many different devices. Doesn't hurt that the price is really reasonable for a power supply of this size. And I just noticed there is a $15 off coupon on Amazon right now, so it would be under $100! I might just have to pick up a second one at that price. Good luck

Poweradd 32000 mAh
jrb.bostonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #7

The DC adaptors for the CPAP are best but I had a single group24 battery and it would not do well if you have to run the heater on it.

From there you can either upgrade batteries which is a few hundred and I would reccamend or you could also go this route https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D29QNMJ..._k.FzFb7QTD7XF

If you have the generator already you can recharge this every few days or get a big one and go as long as you need to. Again DC direct without the AC conversion is most efficient but you can use the AC plug as well amd just charge more often.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #8

I just thought I would add this. If you're going to run the 12v to the bedside before connecting a small inverter, use as big gage wire as you can. I would suggest buying a 12ga extension cord. But I think the better idea is set up the little inverter close to the battery. Then run an extension cord from it to the bedroom. 120vac will go a lot longer distance than will 12vdc. I ran my cpap (ResMed AirSense 10) on a 400 watt inverter, with the heater and humidifier on the 5 setting. Ran perfectly. You can buy that inverter on Amazon for $39.

I admit that inverting 12vdc to 120vac to 24vdc is not efficient. But it's easy to do. And it gives you 120vac in the bedroom for a fan or whatever when you're not using the cpap. The cpap is a necessity, and I think if you use the heater and humidifier regularly at home, then that's a necessity too. If you need a better true deep cycle battery, buy it. If you need a second battery, buy that. We camp because it's fun. I don't know about anyone else, but I get real grumpy if I don't get good sleep. And for me that's cpap with the heater/humidifier on 5.

Just my 2¢
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #9

DW and I run 2 CPAPS. We have 2 golf cart batteries. My CPAP runs off a 12v DC power supply. Hers runs off a 300 watt inverter. Turn the humidifier and heated tube way down or off. We can run both ours all night and recharge about 6 hrs with the genny during day. I don't really know our exact limits, though.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Both DW and I have ResMed S9. I installed 2 6 v batteries, have DC to DC supplies fr each.Ran 2 dedicated power to main DC distribution. We had a power failure and never woke up till morning.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:52 AM   #11

Ive got a newer resmed unit and a single 12 volt battery on my pop up, with the built in inverter it runs 9 to 10 hours without generator or shore power and its all good. I dont have a meter on my battery but my wife also runs the 12 volt plug in fan all night and we even have the furnace fan come on and off all night without it failing. I run the fridge on propane and have no other power use at night i hope this helps you. Also my unit has a humidity system also for what its worth
Jram84 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Solar ready | Solar »