Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #21
KnP

Is interesting how CPAPs are becoming a common item. 20 years ago, I had not clue of what a CPAP machine was. Now days, seems that is a normal.

Anyway, look at the machine, should have a data plate that says how many Amps and Volts the machine require to operate. Also, the power pack should say the power output. As long you can keep the power demand, it should be ok. Perhaps a dedicated Deep Cycle battery for that alone might do the trick and charge it during the day.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #22

Good evening. I power my cpap when tent camping with a small portable power source. The best I can get out of it is 2 nights in the winter. I live in a low humidity region (CO), so usually need the humidifier feature; which greatly reduces my battery power. If amp hours are a big concern, turn off your humidifier on your machine, as well as the heat on your hose. I use these heat/moisture exchange attachments that make moisture out of your breath. I believe they recommend using a new H/ME device every night. I use 1 for the whole camping trip and have never had an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are easy to use; I just put it inline on my hose.
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #23

Jackery Battery

Consider purchasing a JACKERY Brand chargeable battery,
It works great for me with my CPAP
mac71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dachshund Lady View Post
How do you all use a CPAP when not plugged into shore power?? I can't run my generator at night. Can I use a portable power pack, those all in one things that can jump your battery etc???
I helped a friend set up his CPAP (heated) machine in his RV. We installed a cigarette lighter receptacle near the bed and he got a cable to go from there to his machine.

It draws 80 watts when heating so you need more than a USB receptacle can give you (18 watts max, typically). 150 watt-hours for a typical overnight use. That's an average of about 20 watts.

This particular machine uses 12 volt DC power so the adapter was just a cable.

We looked at just running an inverter all night but the idle power is typically around 10 watts so a huge waste of energy.

We also fitted his dinette area with a cigarette lighter receptacle to charge/run his laptop. Plus several USB receptacles through out the trailer. This way he doesn't need to run the inverter to charge phones, tablets, or the CPAP.
kwindrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:35 PM   #25

CPAP

I use an EXPION Lithium battery to power my CPAP when I do not want to run down the batteries
FACEPLATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

To answer OP, get a 12v cord. If you're CPAP is not 12v, it's not suitable for boondocking. I'm due for a replacement and will be making sure it's 12v like my Phillips is. And shut off heated hose and ditch humidification, not necessary unless you camp in desert.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:41 PM   #27

Quote:
How do you all use a CPAP when not plugged into shore power?? I can't run my generator at night. Can I use a portable power pack, those all in one things that can jump your battery etc???
I used a dreamstation and paid $100 for cigarette plug 12v power cord, I attached to a car battery and let it runs for over 4 days 24 /7 battery showed slight usage and ran and ran. I also have a develbliss machine that uses a less expensive power cord it runs the same low amp draw for Cpap machine. I bring a spare 12v car battery for fear it will drain my dual batteries down but the usage and draw is very low. Hope this helps. Mike
Old 08-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #28

I ran a direct 12V line from the batteries with a cig plug into the bedroom. (Amazon) Put fuse in line. 150 watt inverter and it runs fine all night. 2 12V batteries down to 70% by nights end. I cut the male end off, spliced fuse then to battery. Inverter had a cig male plug on it.

F40SPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #29

I use one of these GoalZero battery. Lasts about 2-4 nights depending on wether I have the humidity and heater on. I have an Airsense 10 CPAP

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/last-c...power-station/

Quote:
lmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbieGA View Post
I've done a lot of searching and all I can find are adapters to connect to a battery or to plug into a car lighter. I need a USB power connector. Where would I get this for my CPAP?
A car cigarette lighter is 12v. You can buy a 12v volt socket on Amazon. This is what I installed to the trailers 12v system.

dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #31

A cpap machine uses about 50% more power run thru an inverter.

Thus, try not to.

Pretty easy to add a 12 volt outlet in the bedroom.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #32

Hi!

I saw you have a class C. Most of the popular CPAP machines, like Resmed, have cigarette lighter adapters that allow the machine to run on the house batteries. If the bedroom doesn't have a 12v lighter socket (I think it does) it shouldn't be terribly expensive to have one installed. If you run the vehicle or generator to recharge the house batteries during the day your house batteries should be more than able to supply power to the CPAP at night. As has already been said, usb outlets don't put out enough power to run a CPAP. If you don't run your generator or drive the vehicle to recharge the house batteries I'd have 200w of solar panels installed and hope the sun shines!
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #33

I bought a Z2 Auto Pap by Breas. Also bought the battery pack, etc with it. Charge it before we go out then use it that night (recharge during the daytime, etc). Plugged in only pulls an Amp or less when running or charging. Primary at the house has info with the doc that I have a travel one to maintain insurance.
DLorenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #34

If it is a Resmed 10 it can be run off 12 volt DC
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #35
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Try these

Don't know if these have been covered:
1 turn off heater and put device into airplane mode to reduce current draw.
2 My son told me about a Jackery portable power station. He'd bought the 240 Wh unit and folding solar panel. I had a solar panel so only bought the 240.
3. On an 8 day camping trip we each used our CPAP every night. I bought an adapter to plug my unit directly into a 12V outlet on the power station. Son plugged his Cpap's AC transformer into the AC outlet on his power station. I used 22% / night...his about 27%.
We were at Leelanau State park. Michigan and our campsite only 35 ft to beach. We easily recharged back to 100% using solar panels (sunny weather with only one day of rain). If anyone drove, we'd send a unit along to recharge on their 12V outlet.

Hope you find this useful.
Peace/Out
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #36

DreamStation Go 24v DC

I have the Dream Station Go, but it's 24 volts DC so I couldn't connect it directly to my 12 volt DC outlet. So I used a 300 watt inverter to make 120v AC from the 12v DC outlet to run the CPAP. I get about 91% efficiency with this little inverter.

I am considering a 12v DC to 24v DC boost converter and will gain a bit of efficiency, up to 96%, and with this I can wire 24v DC direct to the CPAP.

I installed a 12V DC cigarette lighter outlet with two USB ports on both sides of our bed for convenience. The USBs are for our cell phones only. I also doubled up on my 12v house batteries to get more amp hours. I charge my house batteries daily with my Honda EU2200i generator.
RStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #37

Quote:
My C-PAP has a power supply that coverts 120V to 12V. My buddy has the same. We run our C-PAP off of a 12V battery. Have a look at your power supply, likely the same as what I have described here. You should be able to find the cord that will work for you C-PAP.
wjijr1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
... If [your] CPAP is not 12v, it's not suitable for boondocking. ...
On what do you base this statement? There are plenty of sources for 12V adapters to power 24V CPAPs.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #39

Quote:
I purchased a portable inverter and plug it into a 12v cigarette lighter plug. Plug two CPAPs into it and we are good for night. Run generator in the morning to charge batteries.
SilvaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #40

Thank you for this info. It matches my CPAP machine and will come in handy for my trip to Alaska 2022.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking