Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2024, 12:20 PM   #1

Crisis averted, batteries saved!

I set my Bluetooth controlled LiFePO4 batteries, all four 100AH, to charging and discharging disabled after winterizing my TT.
Yesterday, my app, the original XiaoXiangElectric, indicated a “Soft Protection is enabled” and would not let me enable charging and discharging. Batteries showed fully charged on the app but barely read over a single volt on the terminals with a meter. I was quite flustered. It would not allow me to disable the soft protection mode or to access the “control” page.
I asked for help concerning this over at the DIYSolar Forum (started by Will Prowse, AFAIK). Got two recommendations to use the Overkill Solar app. Loaded it on my iPhone & iPad, went out to the TT in a storm, and it allowed me to reactivate charging and discharging on all four batteries. IIRC, about $1150 worth of “inexpensive” batteries. I’ll sleep MUCH better tonight
I do like the data layout of the first app. The second app has so much data, it’s confusing. I couldn’t find individual cell readings on the second, the first app has a clear diagram with values. So I’ll keep both apps
NOT going to mess with the disabling functions again. Winterizing, battery disconnect and solar panel disconnect is more than enough for low temp protection.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:36 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did the manufacturer of the batteries not have an app or are they mixed brands?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #3

A vote here for non-bluetooth batteries
2019 Ford Expedition Max, payload ~ 1700

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
A vote here for non-bluetooth batteries
My SOK non BT batteries go into protect all the time when I turn on my inverter. What a huge PITA to get them to wake up again. I got a SOK BT BMS and had the same problem and their BT app could not wake the BMS up. Still had to do a manual reset with a pwer source over 14.8V.

Wish mine had a BT reset capability like BW now has.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
My SOK non BT batteries go into protect all the time when I turn on my inverter.
Ya, something is amiss there, sounds like a design flub inside those.

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
Old 03-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
Ya, something is amiss there, sounds like a design flub inside those.
Happens with a lot of LiFePO4 batteries and the Victron MPII (or any big inverter). The BMS sees the Victron as a dead short when it is turned on due to the caps being charged. Easy fix is to turn on my solar before I turn on the inverter. Works great when the sun is out. Otherwise I have to make sure I am hooked to my tow vehicle when I turn on the inverter.

Actually, I just installed a BattleBorn surge protector (CSL-500) and it all works great now. No more BMS's going into protect mode.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #7

Interesting. I would have thought the background draw of the trailer, fridge, CO detector, would do the same. Will watch to see what our does.

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
Old 03-26-2024, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did the manufacturer of the batteries not have an app or are they mixed brands?
Yes, that was the app that allowed me to lock out charging/dicharging but not unlock it. All batteries were EA Star, same model.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:10 PM   #9

The bluetooth batteries are much better than NON bluetooth
you can actually see each battery's cells voltage
and how much the total battery is charging/discharging

and when you have multiple batteries...
if they are NOT charging/discharging equally it is time to look for a bad/loose/dirty battery connection.

also no need to buy a expensive shunt that can show you LESS data than bluetooth battery
Old 03-26-2024, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Happens with a lot of LiFePO4 batteries and the Victron MPII (or any big inverter). The BMS sees the Victron as a dead short when it is turned on due to the caps being charged. Easy fix is to turn on my solar before I turn on the inverter. Works great when the sun is out. Otherwise I have to make sure I am hooked to my tow vehicle when I turn on the inverter.

Actually, I just installed a BattleBorn surge protector (CSL-500) and it all works great now. No more BMS's going into protect mode.
With large inverters that have been offline (12v side) for any length of time an old-school method of preventing BMS shutdown when re-attaching is a simple HD resistor or halogen lamp in series with battery positive and Inverter positive input.

I cobbled together a 40W halogen projector bulb and momentary contact switch that can "bridge" the main battery shutoff switch.

To "precharge" the inverter (or any other 12v appliance that needs a capacitor charge) Just press the button on the switch and wait until the lamp's filament stops glowing brightly. Then turn battery shutoff switch on.

Only needs to be done when batteries are disconnected or on "BMS shutdown" for a significant period of time that allows large capacitors to discharge.

Think of the process like that performed by glow-plugs in a Diesel Engine where the key is turned on and one than waits until light comes on or goes off, depending on equipment/mfr.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
I set my Bluetooth controlled LiFePO4 batteries, all four 100AH, to charging and discharging
No need to set it via bluetooth ... just disconnect battery negative to the RV

Yesterday, my app, the original XiaoXiangElectric, indicated a “Soft Protection is enabled” and would not let me enable charging and discharging.
XiaoXiangElectric app they must have changed the app as I can't turn on/off discharging any more
Use to be able to...

Batteries showed fully charged on the app but barely read over a single volt on the terminals with a meter. I was quite flustered. It would not allow me to disable the soft protection mode or to access the “control” page.
I asked for help concerning this over at the DIYSolar Forum (started by Will Prowse, AFAIK). Got two recommendations to use the Overkill Solar app. Loaded it on my iPhone & iPad, went out to the TT in a storm, and it allowed me to reactivate charging and discharging on all four batteries. IIRC, about $1150 worth of “inexpensive” batteries. I’ll sleep MUCH better tonight
I do like the data layout of the first app.
Me too

The second app has so much data, it’s confusing.
Overkill app.... you can change all the settings
so be real careful.

I couldn’t find individual cell readings on the second, the first app has a clear diagram with values. So I’ll keep both apps
NOT going to mess with the disabling functions again. Winterizing, battery disconnect and solar panel disconnect is more than enough for low temp protection.

for now I am using the factory settings EXCEPT
changed the setting for "balance only when charging" to OFF
I allow them to balance anytime voltage is over 3.3v per cell , charging OR discharging.
Give the undersized balancer more time to do it's work.

for newbies...
XiaoXiangElectric APP is kinda a generic app used by a lot of battery manufacturers .... Is OK to view and you have to go through weird registration process to do anything else...

The overkill app once you get use to it is very handy and FREEEE!
searh google or the app store for "Overkill solar"
Old 03-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #12

X2 what Titan said

learn how to use a resistor to wake up a inverter where it's capacitors are discharged
ON lead acid you get a biggy spark that can make you change your pants

on Lifepo4 ... It can shut down a BMS and you have to wake up the battery again..

Modern / newer inverters have built in connection resistors... if you intend buying a Inverter look for this feature
Old 03-26-2024, 06:28 PM   #13

I am well aware of inverter precharge circuits. I had one. Put it in a cool little box with a pretty red button. Worked a treat. But I saw the BattleBorn CSL-500 surge protector and decided to spend $280 on something that did the same thing but cost a LOT more. Makes it idiot proof for my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 1 precharge.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	298102  
Old 03-26-2024, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
I am well aware of inverter precharge circuits. I had one. Put it in a cool little box with a pretty red button. Worked a treat. But I saw the BattleBorn CSL-500 surge protector and decided to spend $280 on something that did the same thing but cost a LOT more. Makes it idiot proof for my wife.
I can get by more cheaply. My wife passed away 7 years ago so no need for "idiot proof". That said she just said that things like this were my job and if need be she'd just light a candle if the lights went out.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I can get by more cheaply. My wife passed away 7 years ago so no need for "idiot proof". That said she just said that things like this were my job and if need be she'd just light a candle if the lights went out.
My issue happened when I was away from her and the trailer for a couple of hours. We were boondocking and she tried to make coffee and heat something up in the microwave at the same time. She was trained not to do that, but forgot. I've done it, too. Inverter turned off and when it tried to reset and turn back on, the BMS's went into protect. No power in the trailer until I got back. The CSL-500 solved that problem.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 AM   #16

For an overview of my 3 BT enabled batteries, I like the LIONTRON Multi app. It gives the sum of the individual currents, so it acts like the shunt, and it allows you to drill into individual battery cell voltage. You don't need to connect to the BT one at a time.

Tags
batteries