Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Cummins/Onan 5.5

So last Saturday I bought a used 2017 Primetime Spartan 1245 toy hauler with a Cummins Onan 5.5 HGJAB generator. The start/stop switch on generator will start generator but will NOT shut it off. I had to install a inline fuse to generator fuel pump, pull fuse to shut generator off.

Problem 2-generator provides NO power to toy hauler with both 30amp breakers turned on. As well there is no power to the generator read out and switch inside toy hauler.

I have not taken the lid off of the transfer switch box next to the generator as of yet, that's tonights project to see what I see.

I've covered the obvious, changed oil in generator twice-it was nasty.....
Made sure there is plenty of fuel
Generator starts right up and runs flawlessly, just cant shut it down by switch on generator and no power to toy hauler.

Whats my next step?

THANK YALL in advance for input!
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #2

I think I would replace the stop switch or look for a loose wire somewhere. You discretion makes me think the generator is not working and or the generator circuit breaker is in the off position the engine runs as it should. Check for the circuit breaker on the generator and actually test at the generator for power output. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #3

With generator running I have 1.5 volts at generator side of transfer switch. Removed switch cover and started looking for disconnected wires at back of both circuit breakers. Tested both circuit breakers for continuity in ON position-there IS continuity. Off position continuity goes away. At this point trying to get my 120 volts per leg to the transfer switch and work on the fact that the NEW switch will not shut generator off.

I sincerely welcome any ideas.

Thank y’all in advance!!!

Just ran generator with switch cover off-no power to either 30 amp circuit breaker....

Oh yeah, I love the fact that every single wire is white....... lol
Old 06-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

So code 45 is active and just won’t go away........

I found the brush holder assembly, pulled it out, brushes look good and measure in spec. The copper rings the the brushes ride on didn’t look terrible, but not shiny new either. Took a pencil eraser to hold against each ring while spinning the engine over, they cleaned up pretty decent. With voltmeter set on 200VAC still only reading 1.10 volts off each leg of each 30amp circuit breaker while generator is running.

Still haven’t figured out the stop circuit of switch in hauler or switch on generator.
The kid doing the delivery at RV place last weekend installed a inline fuse for fuel pump circuit so I can pull fuse to shut fuel pump off ie shut generator off...... poor kid was in over his head and the sales manager was trying to get us down the road..... I really thought because I knew generator ran I could fix it fairly easily. Turns out the generator is MUCH smarter than I am..... lol

Tags
onan