Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Cummins / Onan shuts down in heat

We're at the race track in Wyoming. It's 110 degrees at 1 pm. The gen & A/C have been running since 9 am. The gen quits & won't restart. Let it go an hour or so. Then it will restart, run for maybe an hour & quit again.

So, I plugged into reliable Honda 3000is and enjoyed the A/C.

It's in a (new at the time) 2012 FR FS2612 Stealth toy hauler. This POS has been a nightmare; roof air, gen, refrigerator, water heater...

My race car mechanic friends & I think it's vapor locking and/or the fuel pump is failing. However, since the techs at Great Outdoors RV in Greeley CO can't reproduce it, "it's working fine".

Anyone else having this trouble?
NewRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fuel pump issue.
Been discussed here plenty.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Heat issue. Look underneath and you will see air discharge along with air intake. What is more than likely happening is heat causing vapor lock. If you have something to make duct work out of attach to the discharge and route as far away from intake as possible I have seen people use tarps to deprecate the two also
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRodeo View Post
We're at the race track in Wyoming. It's 110 degrees at 1 pm. The gen & A/C have been running since 9 am. The gen quits & won't restart. Let it go an hour or so. Then it will restart, run for maybe an hour & quit again.

So, I plugged into reliable Honda 3000is and enjoyed the A/C.

It's in a (new at the time) 2012 FR FS2612 Stealth toy hauler. This POS has been a nightmare; roof air, gen, refrigerator, water heater...

My race car mechanic friends & I think it's vapor locking and/or the fuel pump is failing. However, since the techs at Great Outdoors RV in Greeley CO can't reproduce it, "it's working fine".

Anyone else having this trouble?
Where in Wyoming are you it's 110 degrees it only got up to 50 degrees where I am.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Where in Wyoming are you it's 110 degrees it only got up to 50 degrees where I am.
Last summer at Douglas drag races.

BTW, at the races this past weekend, the generator crapped out on me again and it was only 70 degrees out.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Have you changed the fuel filter. I had the same issue with my boat. Would stop running after a while. Turn off and would restart after back pressure was allowed to drain off.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Have you changed the fuel filter. I had the same issue with my boat. Would stop running after a while. Turn off and would restart after back pressure was allowed to drain off.
I've suggested that to the Service Manager at Great Outdoors RV in Greeley, but was dismissed.

The unit won't restart after sitting for a few hours. It will after like 5 or more hours.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #8

I still believe it is a heat issue.
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshell56118 View Post
I still believe it is a heat issue.
Excellent point. Just crawled under the unit.

I'm lucky Forest River didn't kill me and my friends. The generator exhaust pipe exits a small opening in the "double insulated floor". The plastic and a group of wires touch the exhaust pipe and are melting. There appears to be NO EXIT for the heat.

Now I need to find time to take it into the shop... for like the 5th time in under a year. Wow this sucks.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

sometimes better to bypass the stealer and just fix it yourself. usually time and money ahead.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
sometimes better to bypass the stealer and just fix it yourself. usually time and money ahead.
True. I'll take a better look at it when the wind isn't blowing 20 mph.
My concern is the wire damage. I don't want to spend hours running wire.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Well... GOOD NEWS.

Finally got the dealer to cut away a bunch of the plastic corrugate on the bottom and now the generator runs without issue in 100+ degree heat. They also cut a hole in the access door and put a (home) louver vent in for fresh air.

Thank you Levi !