Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

Disconnect Battery when on shore power?

I am winterizing my camper. I want to keep it plugged into the house for the winter, but i don't want to over charge the battery. Will the battery disconnect stop the charger from charging the battery or should I just disconnect the negative on the battery.

I have a Wildcat 29rlx. When I do engage the battery disconnect the the living room slides still work.

Thanks
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Using battery disconnect switch will prevent converter from charging batteries.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Many of the newer campers have a 3 stage battery charger OEM. These charge or maintain the battery as needed. Yours may have one installed.
It's not good practice to extend / retract your slides with the battery cutoff switch "off". The slide motors or hyd pump draw a bunch of amps and it puts a LOAD on your converter. Your manual will back up my warning.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by corocky1998 View Post
I am winterizing my camper. I want to keep it plugged into the house for the winter, but i don't want to over charge the battery. Will the battery disconnect stop the charger from charging the battery or should I just disconnect the negative on the battery.

I have a Wildcat 29rlx. When I do engage the battery disconnect the the living room slides still work.

Thanks
Just leave it on and check your water in them monthly, just normal maintenance. I leave mine on 24/7 plugged in at home...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Just leave it on and check your water in them monthly, just normal maintenance. I leave mine on 24/7 plugged in at home...
Yes you may have a power outage, if so your ready to go! Youroo! !
Old 11-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

I always left mine on, until the converter failed and boiled the batteries dry. Ruined them. Luck to be in warranty. Now I fully charge and disconnect.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
I always left mine on, until the converter failed and boiled the batteries dry. Ruined them. Luck to be in warranty. Now I fully charge and disconnect.
Numerous WFCO converters have been found to never go into trickle mode (13.2V). Remaining in normal mode (13.7V) will slowly boil the water over a long period of time. I replaced my WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics converter which changes mode as it is supposed to. I no longer worry about leaving the camper plugged in for the long term.

Check the battery voltage after a week of being plugged in. If it's dropped down to 13.2V, your converter is working fine and the batteries will be properly trickle charged.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

This is true I did the did the same thing changed out to progressive after two WFCO

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
Same here, but warranty was refused because the battery cases were bulging from the overcharge. I now fully charge the batteries and disconnect them for storage. I then connect a 2 amp maintainer that is incapable of overcharging the battery bank.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #10

Batteries charge

I was thinking about leaving the batteries connected and plugging the mh in with a heavy duty timer to come on for a hour a day to keep the batteries topped off without over charging. Good idea?
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #11

Batteries in the winter lose about 10% of charge per month and WILL not freeze if stored fully charged (-91 degrees freeze point). I is FAR better for battery life to let the battery self discharge for 90 days THEN turn the charger on and let it provide a BULK charge which will stir up the acid/water solution and prevent stratification and sulphation.
Some of the newer Progressive and IOTA chargers have an automatic EQ cycle that comes on briefly once a week or so when the battery has been on float...and these achieve the same purpose...but I wouldn't just leave it on a 3 stage charger all winter especially when it is not necessary.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by corocky1998 View Post

Thanks
I either turn off the converter at the breaker or use the disconnect switch. I keep battery maintainers on the batteries to keep them topped off and so they won't freeze. The maintainers will help your batteries last many years. I have yet to see a power converter that didnt boil the batteries dry. Dry battery=dead battery. Be sure to regularly check the water level. RV batteries are designed to charge and discharge regularly and will gas out the water regularly so check them.
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Thank you for all the replies. I think after my last trip this year next week I will just disconnect the battery and every 3 months check the water and plug it in for a day or two. By then, should be camping again.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #14

I leave my 5er plugged in all winter with the batteries connected. I purchased one of these and have it plugged into the cigarette lighter socket beside the bed... I check it every few days (same as when I check the mousetrap) and its always reading 13.1 or 13.2.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power